sykozis

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I just got my Civic on Saturday.... Well, technically Thursday, but I signed the papers and made it official on Saturday. It's AC was blowing ice cold on the passenger side but hot on the driver's side.

Not a big fan of R1234yf myself..... Cost me $78 to get my AC blowing nice and cold like it should.

Idk if this is related in anyway, but earlier this week I started my car and have started to have this terrible ā€œclickingā€ noise, a/c, defrost, floor heat. As I increase the fan speed, it gets louder. Figure must have something to do with the fan. Turn it off no noise. How would I trouble shoot this myself or is it a known issue that commonly happens to our 10th gens? Potential to lead to a bigger problem? Or is likely something major. Not sure where to even look myself. Or have time to take apart the dash,
before I take it to the dealer. Which they arenā€™t terrible. The parts dept guy is cool lol
If the noise only occurs when the fan is turned on, either something is in the fan case being blown around or the fan is starting to fail.
It's a common occurrence across the entire automotive industry.....
Sponsored

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Afraid of that. Where might I need to investigate to trouble shoot my self?

sykozis

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Afraid of that. Where might I need to investigate to trouble shoot my self?
Usually you can locate the blower motor. Place 1 hand on the motor itself and turn the fan speed up and down. If the fan vibration is smooth, then the fan is usually fine and something is inside the fan case blowing around. Not really sure how to explain how a bad blower motor feels. I usually tell people it feels like a notchy vibration when the blower is bad.

OLD_Detroiter

16CivicEX-T
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fuelly.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
It sucks. I'm on my 3rd condenser. Maybe it's the humidity, as I'm in Houston.
But I have to admit, at 155k and driving a '16, I'm impressed I don't have that mold smell some cars get.
Did you do the work yourself ? It's pretty pricey right ?
I am just now going through AC failure, 2016 w/ 150 K miles. :(

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just curious, if a very small amount of refrigerant is ā€œdesignedā€ to leak for lubricating the seals, does that mean a very occasional *slight* smell of refrigerant coming through vents for a minute or two is normal?

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Just curious, if a very small amount of refrigerant is ā€œdesignedā€ to leak for lubricating the seals, does that mean a very occasional *slight* smell of refrigerant coming through vents for a minute or two is normal?
The answer should be a no in all HVAC applications.

RetroRacer1980

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Civic Sport Sedan(sold)ā€™12 Camaro SS/RS ā€˜23WRX
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My AC in my Civic sport sedan 6MT is ok. But only 6,299 miles thus far after a year and a half of ownership.
My car was built in late august of 2020 so Iā€™m not sure what condenser was installed when it was built in Ontario Canada. Iā€™m hopeful it was the updated one, but if Iā€™ve heard correctly people have had issues even with 2021 models.

Iā€™m hopeful that an alternative aftermarket unit is eventually made to save us headache down the road.
Both 2.0 NA and 1.5T Civics have proven to be very reliable, and will last hundreds of thousands of miles, itā€™s just the AC system and standard battery that seems to be the weak points of this generation.

Last edited:

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

revenant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Replaced the condenser of my 3 year old SI two weeks ago after testing the AC and found out it was blowing ambient air.

When testing for pressure, there was no refrigerant left. Ended up purchasing the condenser and o-rings and some R1234yf and self-replaced.

The photo below is the old condenser. The dark spots are where the leaks occurred. This area is behind the FMIC. This is a known issue with 10th gens and is covered by warranty as long as there are no rock chips and pass their diagnostic leak test. I didn't want to leave the car there for 2 days and opted for self-repair.
Honda Civic 10th gen How is your air conditioning? PXL_20220522_013747096.RESTORED

A note, the compressor will not kick on if the refirgerant is low.
Sponsored