glostix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars are against my religion.
I am tremendously underwhelmed by the new Civic photos so far.

With all the hype about "bringing sporty back" and the concept hype, I was expecting a super radical design that would simultaneously give me a seizure and an explosion in my pants.

All we got was a new bumper... and it doesn't even look that different from the current!

WTF... seriously can someone tell me in what way the new 10th gen Civics are gonna be significantly improved over the current, or any other basic compact car?

No hate, most likely will be buying a 2016 coupe just due to practicality/price reasons. But I am super super disappointed. :mad:
Sponsored

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
When did Honda EVER do a "super radical" design for the Civic?? Radical designs do not age well.

It is easy for the 10th Gen to be better than the 9th Gen because the 9th sucks so bad.

How does the 10th Gen compare to other cars? I dunno, you'll need to do your shopping on that one.

I think you are expecting too much from a Civic.

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
You don't need radical designs to sell cars, they've been making bland ones and selling just fine. But the latest Type R shows that with a few changes, more aggressive wheels, revised grille/bumper, splitter, skirts, and spoiler and the car can look radically different.

Also did you look at the Civic concept in the forum header? If you did you shouldn't be too shocked by any of the spy photos so far since it looks pretty much to be what we are getting.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
I always take the marketing rhetoric from car manufacturers and tone it down for my real world expectations. The proof will be in the pudding anyway -- how the car looks once it's revealed and also in the specs once those are revealed. The concept coupe looked great and so far the coupe prototypes have followed it pretty closely, so I expect that I'll like the coupe. Platform wise it's supposed to be an upgrade from the 9th gen and also be lighter.

So that leaves the engine/performance specs. Got my fingers crossed for those.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
"Bringing back sporty" doesn't automatically mean it's going to happen to every trim level. Alienating the customers who buy the Civic for a comfortable ride and anonymous styling wouldn't make sense. Maybe Honda will add a 'Sport' trim to the Civic like the Accord has. Or perhaps Honda was only speaking of the Si and Type-R.

As for the differences, I think you'll need to see them next to each other to realize how different they are. The "bubble" look is changed in favor of a longer hood with sloping roof all the way to the trunk. Not to mention the more upright grill and expressive door lines... I see a lot more than a bumper.

The other things that make a car more sporty are also the things we haven't/can't see. The engine, suspension, and platform have all been reworked (not to mention we haven't actually SEEN the finished car yet). A drive will be the only way to see if they're stayed true to their mission.

Backstrom

Threads
Reaction score
Every car looks like crap with camouflage. It's like the same cycle, every time a new spy photo comes out people say it looks terrible. I remember same thing happening with the C7 spy pics and then everyone was blown away seeing it in the metal.

H_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Si
Every car looks like crap with camouflage. It's like the same cycle, every time a new spy photo comes out people say it looks terrible. I remember same thing happening with the C7 spy pics and then everyone was blown away seeing it in the metal.
That's sorta xactly the point with camouflage lol. I feel like they make the prototypes so ugly on purpose so when the real thing is revealed it looks even better :)

H_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Si
"Bringing back sporty" doesn't automatically mean it's going to happen to every trim level. Alienating the customers who buy the Civic for a comfortable ride and anonymous styling wouldn't make sense. Maybe Honda will add a 'Sport' trim to the Civic like the Accord has. Or perhaps Honda was only speaking of the Si and Type-R.

As for the differences, I think you'll need to see them next to each other to realize how different they are. The "bubble" look is changed in favor of a longer hood with sloping roof all the way to the trunk. Not to mention the more upright grill and expressive door lines... I see a lot more than a bumper.

The other things that make a car more sporty are also the things we haven't/can't see. The engine, suspension, and platform have all been reworked (not to mention we haven't actually SEEN the finished car yet). A drive will be the only way to see if they're stayed true to their mission.
+1

Honda says they're bringing sporty back with the new Civic and I think they mean both in looks and in performance. The prototypes already look sportier than the current one (and I'm an owner) and performance is sure to follow with the new improved platform. Plus there's gonna be the TypeR whic is gonna be better than ever and in more markets than ever. Sporty is definitely coming I thinks.

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--

You really think people buy it for its "anonymous styling" ? I think those buyers just plain dont really care what their car looks like as long as its safe, reliable, efficient and affordable. I think sportier design would be a nice bonus for most, even non-enthusiasts.

Besides, the standard Civic is sure to be a comfortable ride even if it gets sportier looks. The Si and Type R will add sportier suspension etc.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
You really think people buy it for its "anonymous styling" ? I think those buyers just plain dont really care what their car looks like as long as its safe, reliable, efficient and affordable. I think sportier design would be a nice bonus for most, even non-enthusiasts.
Take a look at Mazda sales and compare them to Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. Which company has better styling? Which companies sell more cars?

Styling is tricky. You want to appeal to the most people. Sporty styling doesn't tend to do that, it just appeals more to us enthusiasts.

Golf6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK6 Golf
I am tremendously underwhelmed by the new Civic photos so far.

With all the hype about "bringing sporty back" and the concept hype, I was expecting a super radical design that would simultaneously give me a seizure and an explosion in my pants.

All we got was a new bumper... and it doesn't even look that different from the current!

WTF... seriously can someone tell me in what way the new 10th gen Civics are gonna be significantly improved over the current, or any other basic compact car?

No hate, most likely will be buying a 2016 coupe just due to practicality/price reasons. But I am super super disappointed. :mad:
Don't knock it until the production model is revealed and you get to test drive it or read reviews on it. So far everyone seems to agree that it looks a lot better. And it'll be on a new platform so it should feel different in performance too, hopefully sportier than current model. That's something that just can't be judged until it's actually out. It's like the VW Golf which never seems to change much styling wise between the different generations but once you drive it it seems to be better every generation.

Honda Civic 10th gen How is the new Civic any better than old? Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 11.01.09 PM

OP
OP

glostix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars are against my religion.
I agree can't judge performance yet, but did yall see the newest sedan renders?

They just gave the sedan the front bumper from the current Si coupe... BORING
Honda Civic 10th gen How is the new Civic any better than old? Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 11.01.09 PM

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
It's just a rendering anyway not an official photo. But even if it's close to that, that's already an attractive front end so I can understand why they would go evolutionary rather than revolutionary with the front bumper styling. It's the rear and roofline which gets the biggest changes on the sedan. Both much improved over current.

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
I've yet to see a sedan profile I truly like. This will be a car that caters to them all I think. The sedan will be vanilla enough for the masses while the coupe, hatch and Si/Type R will cover the field for the more hardcore enthusiasts among us.

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Take a look at Mazda sales and compare them to Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. Which company has better styling? Which companies sell more cars?

Styling is tricky. You want to appeal to the most people. Sporty styling doesn't tend to do that, it just appeals more to us enthusiasts.
That's a bit apples and oranges. When you are talking about volume of cars sold you can't compare a relatively tiny company like Mazda against Toyota etc. They have more money, marketing and brand awareness.

You take the same two cars made by the same company and give one sportier design and I think it sells better everything else equal. There's a difference between design that appeals to the mainstream and boring/vanilla design. Also a reason why cars like the Miata don't sell in volume is because it is a two seater that only works for certain purposes/people.
Sponsored