How is SI in the snow without snow tires.

Staffiedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette and Civic SI
Country flag
Got a 2020 SI in May figuring with the FWD and LSD it would be OK for driving on a few inches of new snow or packed down old snow. It is a lease and I don’t want to get snow tires. For those who drive their SI in snow on stock tires, what are your thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored

aethecarfanatic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
I kept the stock tires on mine and drove through the past winter since I got my car last July. It handled it just fine, obviously just go slow. It'll understeer very easily if you're on throttle and trying to turn, but just stay out of it and you'll be fine.

This year we hardly got any snow, but wasn't anything too crazy. I'm used to having dedicated winter tires, but I may just run the all seasons again this winter as well.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I live in Toronto/Montreal and I always have dedicated winter tires.

The way I figure It. If you have winter tires, you will share the wear and tear between the 2 sets. Each set of tires will last longer with the benefit of additional safety.

aaaaah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
In NJ you will be fine.

The Goodyears in WNY were tragic in the snow in my opinion. I had just traded a car with snow tires on it though which does provide a big contrast. Will need to start shopping for cheapo 17" wheels soon to mount the snows back on.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Our '12 Si is fine in the Berkshires with decent all-seasons - ours came with MX4 Michelins and they were replaced with the same. Our current set are PS A/S 3+ Michelins that appear to be better. Suggest you check a site like TireRack to review their ratings.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m in London, Ontario and I did okay for the first couple weeks until I got my dedicated snow tires shipped to me. Would I do a whole winter with the Eagle Sports? Probably not. I’ve ridden on worse tires in worse conditions but nothing beats a good set of dedicated winter tires. My Si will plow through basically anything around here except when I get snowed in.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Don't bother with snow tires on a leased car in NJ. You'll be fine, the LSD will help.

Valenzx

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Stocks were fine when I was driving in snow delivering food earlier this ear. Just keep the speed down.

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
Colorado here and my Si sucked balls in the snow. Still had the stock tires and starting off in a packed snow parking lot it became a traction control light show. Been driving fwd cars in CO for 30 years. Will definitely get steelies with snow tires this year.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's not terrible with the stock all-seasons.

Obviously, there is no comparing dedicated winter tires, but you'll get by with the Goodyears. The LSD and VSA/traction control certainly do help a lot. Just don't drive like an A-hole and you'll be fine.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The biggest danger driving in New Jersey by far are the other drivers, traffic, tolls, the snow actually fills in the potholes, don’t worry about the snow, front wheel drive civics are great in snow.

OP
OP

Staffiedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette and Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. I had been considering an Accord Sport before getting the SI but without the LSD, I think it probably is poor in the snow with stock tires so I went with the SI.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I don’t know how anyone can drive in cold weather on the stock Goodyear A/S. I mean, yes it can be done but at what price?

I found that at 5C temps, in damp conditions the Goodyear were greasy AF. So much so the I replaced them with Michelin PS3+, and I even have dedicated snow tires for 3-4months of the year.

The stock Goodyear A/S are a crappy summer tire and worse in the cold.
Mind you Ontario Canada is way further North than Jersey...YMMV

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
I don’t know how anyone can drive in cold weather on the stock Goodyear A/S. I mean, yes it can be done but at what price?

I found that at 5C temps, in damp conditions the Goodyear were greasy AF. So much so the I replaced them with Michelin PS3+, and I even have dedicated snow tires for 3-4months of the year.

The stock Goodyear A/S are a crappy summer tire and worse in the cold.
Mind you Ontario Canada is way further North than Jersey...YMMV
Like roller skates on packed snow.
Sponsored