18119 Cash Price or Trade Difference

47.19 Bus Tax
131.57 County Tax
1265.89 State Tax
30.50 Tax Title Tag
698 Dealer Fee
9925 Payoff on Trade in

30216.22 Total Balance

34765 Total amount owed over course of 60 months.
Sounds like the dealership deceived you. You said they paid you 13k for your trade in. That's wrong, they paid you just shy of 10k. The additional 3k was a tax deduction. Always make sure you are aware of EXACTLY how much the dealer is buying your car for, before incentives.

Seconding this question.
3rd this question on how collision mitigation handled the accident?
Sponsored

kvnhmmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Look, it's too bad you don't have your previous trade in. But you'll feel much better about your next car once you've done research on how to negotiate a car deal, and come out with a loan that's LESS than the one that had your trade-in allowance!

The money you would have been paying on your car loan, set it aside for a few months for another down payment. And remember, this situation is only temporary!

OP
OP

Bamaaviator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Sounds like the dealership deceived you. You said they paid you 13k for your trade in. That's wrong, they paid you just shy of 10k. The additional 3k was a tax deduction. Always make sure you are aware of EXACTLY how much the dealer is buying your car for, before incentives.

3rd this question on how collision mitigation handled the accident?

It was at such low speed and it was my first experience in a wreck in my life that I wouldn't be able to honestly assess the collision mitigation. How can I look at the paperwork and see that they didn't give me 13k for the trade in and instead just did a tax deduction?

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
The numbers on my invoice show...

25644 Price of vehicle
1500 Leather
389 Moon Visor
1993 Extended Service Agreement
299 Maintance
795 GAP
895 Car Care
359 Paintless Dent Repair

31869 Total Delivered Price

13750 Trade in Allowance

18119 Cash Price or Trade Difference

47.19 Bus Tax
131.57 County Tax
1265.89 State Tax
30.50 Tax Title Tag
698 Dealer Fee
9925 Payoff on Trade in

30216.22 Total Balance

34765 Total amount owed over course of 60 months.

Edit...

Before I get ripped on my stupidity for buying this, understand that over the course of my entire life Ive never had the opportunity to buy a new car, so its not like I had any experience in the matter. I lost my father and both grandmothers unexpectedly this year and my mothers house caught on fire leaving her handicap for the rest of her life. Having a new car for once in my life was a dream of mine, and realized tomorrow is never guaranteed, I got one.

Its very easy to sit on the outside and talk about how stupid I am, and maybe I was. However, it is not remotely believable that with my car getting hit dead center with a trailor hitch causing the hood to crumple, that 3 separate electrical connecters located at 3 separate locations on the vehicle all became completely severed resulting in an additional 10000 dollars in labor and parts. It was also not believable that my car has sat down there for 42 days because they only have 1 mechanic ( their words, not mine ) for 207 cars on the lot and approx. 30 more coming in every day ( once again, their words..not mine )

As it stands now, I walk away from this with no car and no way to put another down payment on another car. They wont even consider the extra leather, roof guard, lights, tint or anything else in the settlement either. The leather seats were installed 4 days before the wreck, I don't even think the passenger or rear seats were ever sat in. The insurance didn't even honor the rental agreement per my policy stating I got 30 days of rental at 30 dollars per day and cut me off at 19 for reasons that have not been disclosed.

The shadiness of this chop shop operation, coupled with the insurance denying me my rights under my insurance policy, coupled with a low settlement amount has left me pissed off.

Sorry for all the harsh criticism. Hopefully you'll be able to get all of this resolved and moved forward. My strategy personally would be 2 fold. 1) Try and figure out what money can be refunded based on this current deal 2) Begin thinking and planning for your next deal to make up for it. In terms of the original question as to whether this shop is legitimate or not, I'd say that you really have 2 options here. 1) See if there are any other "approved" repair shops and get it towed there for a 2nd opinion or 2) Accept it as is. I doubt that you can win arguments as to whether wiring needs to be replaced or the turbo or whatever.

I'd start by looking at your extended warranty. Certainly, Honda MUST be obligated to refund that money to you if the car is totaled (or at least the pro-rated amount), correct? Make sure you get that back. Same thing for the "Maintenance".

So, what's the story on the leather seats? They took the leather seats that came with the Touring and swapped them out for a different color? Are you certain they actually did this? If not, I'd be pushing hard to get that money back.

And there was talk assuming you didn't have GAP, but since you do, then the GAP policy should be kicking in some money too right? You would've gotten a whole lot more had you not traded in your car, but you couldn't have known that.

Beyond that, start thinking about going forward. Presuming we haven't scared you off from Civics forever, I'd personally do the following:

- Since 2017s came out not so long ago, focus on getting a fantastic deal on a 2016. Email all dealers within as far as you're willing to drive asking for the OUT THE DOOR (OTD) sale price. When its time, tell them you are ready to buy in the next week and will go with the lowest offer. You should be able to save $1,500-$2,000+ right there.

- If you value warranties, get the ones online for $1,000 w/ no deductible that covers 8 years/120k (presuming you get the money back from your original one)

- Say "NO" to any and all options:
a) Leather is included, no extra fees (save $1,500)
b) Moon Visor is unnecessary (save $389)
c) Warranty online for $1,000 (save $1,000)
d) Maintenance Agreement: Skip or transfer from old vehicle (save $299)
e) Check your Insurance company for GAP. It'll be a WHOLE LOT cheaper (although requires filing a claim as mentioned earlier) (save $500+)
f) Car Care: I have no clue what this is, but am 100% sure its not worth anything (save $895)
g) Paintless Dent Repair: Your dealer needed to fix your new car and charged you for it????? (save $359)

Dealers are awful scum and will pretty much lie to you and try and screw you. I foolishly accepted (before I cancelled the next day) a $2,500 warranty that only extended it to 60k! What a rip! That was just one of the many "options" I could choose. They didn't give you any options that have borderline value (like the thick-wall mats or maybe tire damage warranty)

The loss really occurred the moment you signed the papers and drove off the lot as you would've felt the same loss when you sold the car later for a huge realized loss.

Anyway, good luck. I hope it works out okay. Make sure GAP covers as much of the difference as possible.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
@Bamaaviator - it sounds like you've really had a hard time, and this is really just piling more on top of that. We've all made stupid choices, and some of them have cost sizable chunks of money. The key is to learn from the experience and move on.

For those of us who love our cars and buy them frequently, some of our biggest (and costliest) learning experiences are not surprisingly related to purchasing, selling and operating a motor vehicle - so even if it seems that we're coming down hard, we know because it's happened to us.

That being said, you've posted this in a public forum, and - while being as nice as possible - some of us consider it our responsibility to turn this into an educational experience for everyone else who is considering spending 34k on a 26k (OTD!) car.

First off, if everything you've told us about your purchasing experience and your invoice is correct, I personally believe it would be appropriate to post the name of the dealership and the names of the people you dealt with there, because you have been royally screwed and others should know to avoid them.

Something else to remember about insurance; your history of premium payments has no bearing (other than potential goodwill) on the payout on your current claim. Furthermore, an insurance company is not obligated to pay for things they don't explicitly cover; if they choose to cover your second set of leather seats and your other aftermarket additions, that money would have to come from somewhere - and other ratepayers would end up covering the bill. Your insurance company sounds like it is doing its job correctly, even if it doesn't seem like it to you in the middle of this. And note that you are not legally entitled to 10 more days of rental car coverage, but they may (may) be contractually obligated to provide it; if that's worth the effort to you, you can complain to your state's insurance oversight board. Before you do that, though, I think that you could get that sorted with a couple of calls to the right people at the insurance company - unless it's some fly-by-night operation, they are unlikely to quibble over the rental car coverage if you are entitled per your contract with them.

Insurance is a necessary evil; understand what it does, what it doesn't, and what you truly need. I, for instance, drop comprehensive coverage once my car is more than 6 years old, opt for a $2000 deductible, but carry higher-than-minimum liability coverage because I opt to protect myself and my family from people who might hit me and then sue me (ask me how I know).

I do understand the emotions that drove you to purchase this car. If you make an emotional decision with a price tag this high, thought, you must conversely be willing to accept the consequences of your own choices without blaming it on others. Ultimately, even if the dealership was a bunch of vultures as you make it sound, you are the one who signed on the bottom line.

I didn't buy my first new car until I was able to pay for it in cash; I occasionally leverage financing if it makes sense (for instance, a no-prepayment penalty manufacturer-backed loan in return for a deep discount that I pay off in full before the first statement). I don't live in a fantasy world, nor am I special or rich - and I've (intentionally) made some car-related decisions before (and fully intend to again). I just try to limit the scope of financial damage they can do if they go sideways.

In my opinion, If you are considering whether you need GAP insurance, you aren't ready to purchase that car.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
@Bamaaviator - it sounds like you've really had a hard time, and this is really just piling more on top of that. We've all made stupid choices, and some of them have cost sizable chunks of money. The key is to learn from the experience and move on.

For those of us who love our cars and buy them frequently, some of our biggest (and costliest) learning experiences are not surprisingly related to purchasing, selling and operating a motor vehicle - so even if it seems that we're coming down hard, we know because it's happened to us.

That being said, you've posted this in a public forum, and - while being as nice as possible - some of us consider it our responsibility to turn this into an educational experience for everyone else who is considering spending 34k on a 26k (OTD!) car.

First off, if everything you've told us about your purchasing experience and your invoice is correct, I personally believe it would be appropriate to post the name of the dealership and the names of the people you dealt with there, because you have been royally screwed and others should know to avoid them.

Something else to remember about insurance; your history of premium payments has no bearing (other than potential goodwill) on the payout on your current claim. Furthermore, an insurance company is not obligated to pay for things they don't explicitly cover; if they choose to cover your second set of leather seats and your other aftermarket additions, that money would have to come from somewhere - and other ratepayers would end up covering the bill. Your insurance company sounds like it is doing its job correctly, even if it doesn't seem like it to you in the middle of this. And note that you are not legally entitled to 10 more days of rental car coverage, but they may (may) be contractually obligated to provide it; if that's worth the effort to you, you can complain to your state's insurance oversight board. Before you do that, though, I think that you could get that sorted with a couple of calls to the right people at the insurance company - unless it's some fly-by-night operation, they are unlikely to quibble over the rental car coverage if you are entitled per your contract with them.

Insurance is a necessary evil; understand what it does, what it doesn't, and what you truly need. I, for instance, drop comprehensive coverage once my car is more than 6 years old, opt for a $2000 deductible, but carry higher-than-minimum liability coverage because I opt to protect myself and my family from people who might hit me and then sue me (ask me how I know).

I do understand the emotions that drove you to purchase this car. If you make an emotional decision with a price tag this high, thought, you must conversely be willing to accept the consequences of your own choices without blaming it on others. Ultimately, even if the dealership was a bunch of vultures as you make it sound, you are the one who signed on the bottom line.

I didn't buy my first new car until I was able to pay for it in cash; I occasionally leverage financing if it makes sense (for instance, a no-prepayment penalty manufacturer-backed loan in return for a deep discount that I pay off in full before the first statement). I don't live in a fantasy world, nor am I special or rich - and I've (intentionally) made some car-related decisions before (and fully intend to again). I just try to limit the scope of financial damage they can do if they go sideways.

In my opinion, If you are considering whether you need GAP insurance, you aren't ready to purchase that car.
In terms of the insurance, one thing that is to be noted is that he DID he the GAP insurance through the dealership, so I WOULD/WILL be curious as to see how that battle plays out. I'd think that the company the Dealership uses would not accept any sort of low evaluation as it'd directly cost them money. I'll also be curious if there is any money that has to be paid out of pocket (other than the trade in). They act like GAP will cover every dime, but when it comes to paying who knows...

humphrey1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
So there I was...

Car pulled in front of me and slammed on the brakes, I couldn't stop in time....hit him in the back.

My car hit his trailer hitch and did not even leave a visible mark on his SUV, but it did damage my front end.

Insurance had it towed to a service yard and they estimated a 5 day repair window and about $5k in repairs. Ok, It would need a hood, front end, and 2 side panels, ...not rocket science as I have seen a ton of worse wrecks. Speed was so slow the airbags didn't even deploy.

Fast forward a month and a half and I STILL don't have my car back and now the estimate just jumped up to $14000 dollars! Mechanic guy said they would have to strip my car down to the frame...to include removing all interior carpet, console, dash, seats, sills, etc...to rewire my whole (@&#) car!

With them running up the total so high, insurance is going to total it tomorrow and I am going to lose all the equity I had with my trade in with my other car and have no car at all. I am so livid right now. Car only had 2000 miles on it and my first wreck ever.

There is no way this is $14000 in damage. They are charging to replace every item on the front end even though there is no issue with the right side headlight, nor my fog lights, or half the other stuff they have added to the estimate. Even included my mirrors?? There is nothing wrong with my darn mirrors. Oh ya...the busted my windshield when removing the hood, so that just tacked another 900 in parts / paint / and labor too... I am so pissed off right now.
20161101_160117.jpg
20161101_162429.jpg
20161209_020749.jpg

20161101_162420.jpg
Aren't Nashville drivers terrible? I was driving down that SAME stretch of road a couple days ago, and this little Mazda just decided to change two lanes without looking.

I was rear-ended on Murfreesboro Road a month and a half after I got my Civic . $6,600 in damage! Replaced the bumper, left taillight, trunk, match the colors, and pull back the left quarter panel.

You get what you pay for. If you want it fixed right, you just have to bite the bullet. At least you're not the one on the hook for $14,000!

ItsJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback-CVT
Country flag
So there I was...

Car pulled in front of me and slammed on the brakes, I couldn't stop in time....hit him in the back.

My car hit his trailer hitch and did not even leave a visible mark on his SUV, but it did damage my front end.

Insurance had it towed to a service yard and they estimated a 5 day repair window and about $5k in repairs. Ok, It would need a hood, front end, and 2 side panels, ...not rocket science as I have seen a ton of worse wrecks. Speed was so slow the airbags didn't even deploy.

Fast forward a month and a half and I STILL don't have my car back and now the estimate just jumped up to $14000 dollars! Mechanic guy said they would have to strip my car down to the frame...to include removing all interior carpet, console, dash, seats, sills, etc...to rewire my whole (@&#) car!

With them running up the total so high, insurance is going to total it tomorrow and I am going to lose all the equity I had with my trade in with my other car and have no car at all. I am so livid right now. Car only had 2000 miles on it and my first wreck ever.

There is no way this is $14000 in damage. They are charging to replace every item on the front end even though there is no issue with the right side headlight, nor my fog lights, or half the other stuff they have added to the estimate. Even included my mirrors?? There is nothing wrong with my darn mirrors. Oh ya...the busted my windshield when removing the hood, so that just tacked another 900 in parts / paint / and labor too... I am so pissed off right now.
20161101_160117.jpg
20161101_162429.jpg
20161209_020749.jpg

20161101_162420.jpg
mine kind of looks like yours right now, so who know if mine will be totaled.
Honda Civic 10th gen How in the heck is this car totaled??? I am getting scammed D7EF2CAA-98EB-4539-B320-BAC47B436094

kaptainkatsu

First Name
Katsu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Sedan
Country flag
New cars are so complex and designed to crumple so more often than not they get totaled.

Last edited:

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
Did honda sensing kick in? Did your car skid? Was it turned off? If it was slow enough, it should have stopped the car. My honda sensing is quite sensitive and over active.

It was at such low speed and it was my first experience in a wreck in my life that I wouldn't be able to honestly assess the collision mitigation. How can I look at the paperwork and see that they didn't give me 13k for the trade in and instead just did a tax deduction?

alicj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Did honda sensing kick in? Did your car skid? Was it turned off? If it was slow enough, it should have stopped the car. My honda sensing is quite sensitive and over active.
OP posted earlier:

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
mine kind of looks like yours right now, so who know if mine will be totaled.
Looks like the impact affected the front quarter panels, up the A-pillar.
Depends on the impact, and how much of the engine bay it affected.

If you look through the list of parts in the estimate, of OP's situation, the damage went pretty far.
Although the impact as low speed.
  • Replaced the turbocharger + air intake system
  • Replaced Engine Control Module (ECM) + reprogram
  • Front support bar / braces
  • Electrical + Honda Sensing parts that goes to the front of the car + reprogram
Turbocharger + ECM + Sensors was a pretty big chunk.
Sponsored