How important are locking lugs?

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I run no locking nuts. If they want the rims - they'll steal them. I just added my wheels on to my insurance plan for theft protection.
Sponsored

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
They're so important that in my 20 years of driving, I've never used them and never had a wheel stolen. Are stolen wheels very common where you live? That'd be the determining factor.
It depends on where you live. It happens more in crowded cities because of limited parking space, and people parking on the street. I live in NYC, and I see it all the time. It doesn’t matter if you live in a good or bad neighborhood. Thieves go around the neighborhood at night in a truck or commercial van looking for an easy target and pop it up on craigslist or eBay the next day. It also depends on the popularity of the wheels. I remember the G37 sports wheels were high in demand, and many owners reported their wheels stolen on the forum every week.

I run no locking nuts. If they want the rims - they'll steal them. I just added my wheels on to my insurance plan for theft protection.
Keep in mind they will damage other parts during the process such as the rotor, the brake shield, denting the side skirts. Nobody want to deal with that.

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Keep in mind they will damage other parts during the process such as the rotor, the brake shield, denting the side skirts. Nobody want to deal with that.
No difference with locking lug nuts. They'll get the rims either way. Just sucks either way.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
No difference with locking lug nuts. They'll get the rims either way. Just sucks either way.
It will deter them for sure. Unless they really really want your wheels for whatever reason. When I was on the G35/G37 forums, I never saw anyone that has wheel locks got their wheels stolen. It’s always the one without wheel locks and park on the street overnight. But hey, do whatever you believe in.

OP
OP

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
I see now that I can get Rays L42 locking lugs that also look great and weigh only slightly more than the O.W.L. lugs. That's what I'll do

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
I see now that I can get Rays L42 locking lugs that also look great and weigh only slightly more than the O.W.L. lugs. That's what I'll do
The Rays are a great option, I just got a set in black for my new wheels. I wish they didn't say RAYS on the sides, but hopefully it's not super noticeable once they're on.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
they are the equivalent of locking your door when you leave home,

it gives you some peace of mind, but if somebody really wants to break into your home, they are going to do it regardless
i always lock my house door.i dont want someone breaking in and stealing my doberman...
Sponsored