First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3 CS, 2019 GTI
Country flag
So a little backstory.

In 2014 I bought my first "sports" car coming out of college, a 2014 Audi S4. I loved her, but after driving it for six years I wanted something with more power. I decided to go all out and bought a M3 CS! The M3 CS is an amazing car, EXTREMELY torquey and a TON of power, but only came in a DCT. I decided to get an additional daily for grocery getting, but was really curious about manual cars. I had always been curious about manual cars, but never had a chance to learn. I took a leap of faith and purchased a GTI without knowing how to drive it and forced my friend to come with me for the purchase and to drive it home for me, haha.

Prior to that I coerced two friends, one with a Jeep Wrangler and another with a Camaro SS to let me destroy their clutches. I had always thought of myself as a rather dexterous person but BOY WAS I WRONG. I had stalled so many times that I started to lose hope. I continued to watch more youtube videos and practiced the motion while sitting on my couch, haha. At night, I would take the GTI out and practice on hills

For the next year, I was really torn. The M3 was flashy and fast, but ultimately very boring to drive. The GTI was really fun, engaging and very practical with the carge space; it felt like a go-kart with such a short wheel base, but lacked the power I wanted. I decided to sell the M3 CS and started to cross shop.

I took a look at the Subaru WRX STi, the new G80 M3 6-SPD, the F87 M2 6-SPD, and finally the Civic Type-R.

I am in love with the way the WRX STI looks and sounds, and before I drove it I was so SO sure that was the car I wanted after my CS. I had driven the base WRX before, and it was fun but also lacked the power I wanted. I figured that the STI would be a substantial step up....but it wasn't. One thing I noticed was how TERRIBLE the shifter was. SO sloppy and such long throws. The power band is also something to be desired, requiring you to really rev it out to get any power. The clutch was so murky; I couldnt find where the engagement point was. I decided to pass on this vehicle.

I've always wanted to own a M3. A dream car of mine, hence buying the CS. The new G80 M3 was released recently, and they kept the 6-spd! So I went for a test drive. The dealers around my area were asking for 82k+TTL for ones on the lot(mildly equipped). The driving experience was....good....not great. Tons of power but the car felt HUGE. The interior was VERY nice though. I wasn't necessarily sold on the M3 yet since the looks are a bit polarizing and I wasn't completely in love with the driving experience.

I next took a test drive on the F87 M2 Competition. Much shorter wheel base and felt like a rocket with the around 400+ HP to the rear wheels. It made great sounds from the S55 engine. I was on the fence about this one as well, since the new one is slated to come out next year. Didn't feel great spending 70k on a car and it be immediately outdated by next year.

None of the local dealers would let me test drive a new CTR, and everything was marked up 10k over. I found a lightly used 2019 SGP with 4k miles listed at 45k. Arrived and the car was there waiting for me. Immediately after sitting into the Type R, I was blown away by the seats. So comfy and they cradle you. I really enjoyed the seats, more-so that the competition seats from my M3, but perhaps this was due to the lower driving position in the CTR. The driving experience was awesome. The car had an after-market intake, so I could hear the whooshes and the OEM shifter was replaced with a short shifter. The Type-R wasn't as torquey as the M cars I had driven, but had great power delivery and was very linear, much more predictable than the M cars. The car was VERY nimble and overtaking cars on the highway was very easy.

I fell in love with the driving experience! The 39k MSRP price of the CTR was a much easier pill to swallow, allowing me to have the driving experience I craved as well as the practicality of the GTI that I really liked at a relatively low price. I spent the entire weekend calling around 50 dealerships(not exaggerating) before finding someone in Wisconsin that would sell it to me for MSRP. The car is slated for pick up tomorrow and I cannot wait to take delivery! I've already set up an appointment for PPF and ordered some new TE37s! Hoping to be more frequent on here! Nice meeting everyone!

Below are some pictures of cars that have been in my stable within the last year!

Honda Civic 10th gen How I landed on buying a CTR! 131968505_10157632675396129_6452912890307983040_o
Honda Civic 10th gen How I landed on buying a CTR! 13926040_10153744030136129_4546389033475634613_o
Honda Civic 10th gen How I landed on buying a CTR! 174658382_493329028372546_2690639282105449868_n

Honda Civic 10th gen How I landed on buying a CTR! 173821056_10157900467151129_6654755068636679921_n

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
Where in Wi did you buy? I know the Green Bay and the Sheboygan dealers will only sell at MSRP. Bought mine in GB.

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
Love the boost blue. I'm SGP myself but would've considered blue if it was a similar price (I got a solid deal on a used SGP just right before covid took off)

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Spectacular collection of cars, welcome aboard! A good friend of mine had a matching M3 CS in the same frozen Blue as yours, and he tracked the hell out of that thing! Great to se that you have the ability to purchase a variety of higher end cars, yet you enjoyed the CTR test drive enough to go with that :)

GameR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R, 2016 Tacoma Off-Road
Country flag
I found a dealer in Milwaukee that also only sells for msrp but I was too impatient to get on their waiting list. I can't remember which dealer it was anymore.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I found a dealer in Milwaukee that also only sells for msrp but I was too impatient to get on their waiting list. I can't remember which dealer it was anymore.
I know Honda City sells at MSRP. Don't know about ALL Star, cause they weren't even on my radar. Wilde in Waukesha sells at MSRP, after adding $5-7k worth of dealer add ons.
I was on a list at the dealer I bought my Si from and my number came up there first so I paid a small premium.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Great to se that you have the ability to purchase a variety of higher end cars, yet you enjoyed the CTR test drive enough to go with that :)
Exactly what I was thinking. Considering all of OP's experience with ostensibly "fancier" cars (both owned and test-driven), and the fact that OP ended up in a CTR...it's really a great advertisement for the car.

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
I know Honda City sells at MSRP. Don't know about ALL Star, cause they weren't even on my radar. Wilde in Waukesha sells at MSRP, after adding $5-7k worth of dealer add ons.
I was on a list at the dealer I bought my Si from and my number came up there first so I paid a small premium.
When I was in the search for my car in January, All-Star was not selling at MSRP. They had a $5k ADM, but were willing to cut that in half. I passed on the offer.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
Great writeup. I also came to the CTR from an S4, after owning two M3s (E36 and E46). While I would never characterize the M3 driving experience as "boring" (I LOVED the E46), I am very happy with the CTR. From a price/value standpoint, the CTR punches way above its weight class. With four doors, a usable back seat and lots of cargo space, it's practical and still a blast to drive.

If you graduated in 2014 and have gone through an S4, an M3 CS and now a CTR since then, you must be doing something right. I agree with the comment on the plate frame though.
Sponsored