Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Hey guys I just purchased a PRL cobra intake. I live in Oregon idk if anyone knows what Oregon is like, but let me tell ya it does rain should I be afraid of hydrolocking my car?
Sponsored

Sleeper_FK7

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT FK7
Country flag
Hey guys I just purchased a PRL cobra intake. I live in Oregon idk if anyone knows what Oregon is like, but let me tell ya it does rain should I be afraid of hydrolocking my car?
Nope, should be fine. Would be more worried if you live in an area that has flooding or you have to drive through a creek for some reason. Only gunna hydrolock if you go into 1+ ft of water and the intake part gets submerged. Yes, rain water will get into your intake if its SRI or CAI and that's normal. Wouldn't really matter if you have the short ram or the cobra. If it's raining and you're driving, it's going to get through the front grill and find it's way to it. I have the cobra intake and my first week with it on we got slammed with rain for a week straight and yeah been running just fine. :headbang:

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It's really not a question of whether you live in a rainy area or not. It's about whether or not the area you live in is prone to flooding. There's a difference.

For example, if your streets have good drainage and are mostly flat, floods there are probably very rare. Remember, a bit of standing water isn't hydrolocking your engine. On the other hand, I live in an area that's fairly rainy AND prone to flash floods due to our hilly terrain.

I've been driving along in a moderate rainstorm and gone towards the bottom of a hill where you could see a river of pooled water. Luckily, I was able to turn around in time.

So, when I've had intakes, I usually buy SRI's to be on the safe side. I did also have one CAI that I could quickly convert to an SRI on rainy days. A bit inconvenient though.

IMO, out of all the intakes available, the 27WON might be the best bet if you're worried about hydrolock.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nope, should be fine. Would be more worried if you live in an area that has flooding or you have to drive through a creek for some reason. Only gunna hydrolock if you go into 1+ ft of water and the intake part gets submerged. Yes, rain water will get into your intake if its SRI or CAI and that's normal. Wouldn't really matter if you have the short ram or the cobra. If it's raining and you're driving, it's going to get through the front grill and find it's way to it. I have the cobra intake and my first week with it on we got slammed with rain for a week straight and yeah been running just fine. :headbang:
Yo thank you guys so much I feel much better installing it

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's really not a question of whether you live in a rainy area or not. It's about whether or not the area you live in is prone to flooding. There's a difference.

For example, if your streets have good drainage and are mostly flat, floods there are probably very rare. Remember, a bit of standing water isn't hydrolocking your engine. On the other hand, I live in an area that's fairly rainy AND prone to flash floods due to our hilly terrain.

I've been driving along in a moderate rainstorm and gone towards the bottom of a hill where you could see a river of pooled water. Luckily, I was able to turn around in time.

So, when I've had intakes, I usually buy SRI's to be on the safe side. I did also have one CAI that I could quickly convert to an SRI on rainy days. A bit inconvenient though.

IMO, out of all the intakes available, the 27WON might be the best bet if you're worried about hydrolock.
Awesome thank you and I'll also be adding my car into the reliability form once I get the cobra on

KTunedtoStock

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Im in Louisiana, near New Orleans. definitely prone to flooding, and we have garbage drainage. You should be fine. Drove through quit a few crazy storms as well

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Im in Louisiana, near New Orleans. definitely prone to flooding, and we have garbage drainage. You should be fine. Drove through quit a few crazy storms as well
That's great to know glad your car is good

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yo thank you guys so much I feel much better installing it
You’ll probably feel better once youdo the install and see how shielded the filter is. General rain isn’t so much of a problem, though I don’t live in the Pacific Northwest. It does give me some anxiety when I’m in a really heavy storm tbh. But I try to be careful, as one should regardless. I’ve had it for going on 2.5 years now. The hydro lock episodes are pretty rare.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You’ll probably feel better once youdo the install and see how shielded the filter is. General rain isn’t so much of a problem, though I don’t live in the Pacific Northwest. It does give me some anxiety when I’m in a really heavy storm tbh. But I try to be careful, as one should regardless. I’ve had it for going on 2.5 years now. The hydro lock episodes are pretty rare.
Gotchya that's good to know I should have noted j don't have my skid plate on due to the really bad winter storm this last winter

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gotchya that's good to know I should have noted j don't have my skid plate on due to the really bad winter storm this last winter
It’s more in the fender well. The fenders and plastic undercladding protect it pretty well. BTW if you look up the part number for the metal underbody cover for the FK8 you can buy that part by itself for a reasonable price. For all the other trims the Honda parts catalog only allows you to by the metal tray along with the entire front plastic undercladding.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s more in the fender well. The fenders and plastic undercladding protect it pretty well. BTW if you look up the part number for the metal underbody cover for the FK8 you can buy that part by itself for a reasonable price. For all the other trims the Honda parts catalog only allows you to by the metal tray along with the entire front plastic undercladding.
oh sorry gotchya i have the metal piece i think some of the snow and ice took some of that cheap plastic with it haha ill see if i can reconnect it

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I hydrolocked mine with the PRL Cai. The water did come up the bottom of my door sill though. Rain is fine... Massive puddles in a hurricane, not so much.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hydrolocked mine with the PRL Cai. The water did come up the bottom of my door sill though. Rain is fine... Massive puddles in a hurricane, not so much.
Sorry to hear that, what did you do to get it fixed did you make a claim with your insurance

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag