How good is the new Civic?

qexler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 tacoma
I currently own a 2017 Tacoma, crew cab, 4x4... in an effort to kick the payment down and get something better on gas I have been strongly looking into a new 2017 Civic sedan. I would be definitely looking at the 1.5l cvt Civic. I know this car is extremely new, motor, transmission, etc... So how good is it really? Is one worth buying now or should I wait?
Sponsored

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
So how good is it really? Is one worth buying now or should I wait?
Its damm good, almost too good IMO - the 1.5T+CVT is a great combo and the 2016 early production gremlins should be mostly taken care of now with the 2017s. Not perfect though - some things aren't quite perfect (slow touchscreen audio system and such), but the powertrain is pretty fantastic and the driving experience is spot on unless you prefer Lexus type characteristics. If you're really looking to save I would think the EX-T trim is probably the one to go for.

OP
OP

qexler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 tacoma
I will be looking at ex most likely maybe ex-l, it's just for good gas mileage and take down my vehicle payment... payment currently sits at 434 and 25mpg

Stegodon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
I currently own a 2017 Tacoma, crew cab, 4x4... in an effort to kick the payment down and get something better on gas I have been strongly looking into a new 2017 Civic sedan. I would be definitely looking at the 1.5l cvt Civic. I know this car is extremely new, motor, transmission, etc... So how good is it really? Is one worth buying now or should I wait?

Your posting on a forums 100% dedicated to Civic lovers... so your gonna get some biased opinions....

Realistically your gonna get about 31ish average mpg depending on your driving style and what type of miles.

It's impossible to weigh your sitsuation apples to apples. But in my opinion it's almost never worth it to trade in a "newly" purchased vehicle for another one. You 100% take a loss every single time.

Also your truck has utility that a car doesn't offer.

With that being said... if you bought the Tacoma... but didn't really need a truck... mistake were made and you should just keep it.

Getting 10 mpg more isn't worth the loss of your investment into the Tacoma and the Down payment to get into a new Civic.

Again don't know all the details.

OP
OP

qexler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 tacoma
Actually the Tacoma is 1000 positive trade value currently.

Stegodon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Actually the Tacoma is 1000 positive trade value currently.
You bought a new truck. Put miles on it. And the dealer is going to give you more then what you paid for it???

You have to account for your loss in investment of what you put down .

Example you gave 5k as a downpayment and have a 30000 loan. Trading it back and they give you 1000 off of a brand new Civic means you lost $4000.

So you essentially gave the dealer thousands of dollars to burrow a car for a little while

OP
OP

qexler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 tacoma
That's why I am highly considering trading it. I bought it for 32 out the door and it blue books for 31-35

Stegodon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I am highly considering trading it. I bought it for 32 out the door and it blue books for 31-35
Lol go talk to a dealer first. You lose thousands when you try to give back a brand new car.

Blue book value means nothing once you put miles on a brand new vehicle and try to trade it in months later .

Dealers will put that Tacoma on the lot for like 1000 less then a new Tacoma ( like blue books states) and when a customer comes their not gonna be interested in saving 1000 bucks on a slightly used vs new product . Almost every time they will opt for the new product . Which is why the dealer will screw you out of your current vehicle . The dealer isn't their to break even by giving you blue book then selling for blue book.

You would be the first person in history of car sales to buy something . Trade it back in... buy something else... and not take a loss

Best of luck.

OP
OP

qexler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 tacoma
I'll have to check, Toyota has offered me 35,500 for it when I got my recall done. But on rare occasions new cars book higher values due to demand

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag

BigThurman006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX; 2015 Ford Edge SE
I went from having a truck for 8 years to owning a 2016 Civic EX sedan. While I love the car I really do miss the utility of my truck. At the time I bought mine I had not realized the hatchbacks were about to be released. I wish I had known that and waited until then. Also, the upgrade to the 1.5T in the hatch would have been awesome. So, while I am happy with the Civic, I don't think I will have it more than a year as we are looking to get something bigger and more utilitarian; in other words, my wife gets a minivan and I'll start driving her Ford Edge.

As you mentioned though, Tacos keep their value very well. So if you are savvy I don't think it will hurt you too much on a trade-in or dealer buy-back.

Blueunderdog

First Name
Quaid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CR-V EX-L, 2020 Civic EX-L, 2006 F-250 Lariat
Country flag
I think you would be happier with a CR-V it rides more upright and still gets better gas mileage around 30 to 32mpg and has the 1.5t with cvt and still has some get up and go power.

I love my car I have the EX-L I thought the sport was good but I like some of the rings that the EX-L has.
Sponsored