How fucked am I ?!

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Agree with herox about canceling the appointment for now.

Not gonna lecture you, just state some facts. The 1.5T can only take so much. The first issue here is that you were running ethanol, a race intake, dp, fp, ic, tip and w7... without a custom tune. The KTuner tune is very good but isn't necessarily designed for FBO's. Then, even after going into limp mode, throwing codes and the shop telling you to take it easy, you still were gunning it? o_O

Also, were you constantly monitoring your parameters like fuel trims and datalogging to keep tabs on how things were running leading up to this?

I run the community tuning reliability survey and this is a basic scenario that seems to cause many failures, unfortunately.

Good luck with everything. Hopefully your engine isn't too far gone. What codes did you actually throw originally (overboost?)?
This + the guy clearly said that wasn't able to do the math for E30 but was confident with his E25.
Points out it was a pretty high concentration. Personally I wouldn't touch Ethanol without a sensor that constantly checks the mixture.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ty3366!!

Ty3366!!

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
This + the guy clearly said that wasn't able to do the math for E30 but was confident with his E25.
Points out it was a pretty high concentration. Personally I wouldn't touch Ethanol without a sensor that constantly checks the mixture.
Fucking what? I have the PRL flex fuel kit on the car it tells you exactly what mix is coming through the gas tank after it updates (takes a few minutes after fill up). I was trying to not go over so went a little under.

Are you able to look at your own logs or post up a log in a zip.
No unfortunately im an Apple guy and im not super tech savvy to install windows on my Mac but my dad does on his so he runs the ktuner for me (uploading the basmaps in the past and opening the data logs etc). Also he is out of town at the moment and took his Mac.

From your car's symptoms.. especially gas smell from the dipstick oil.. sounds like you have blown some rings. Maybe just cracked them and it's letting blowby occur.. as for the smoke from the tailpipe that's almost always head gasket related. Did the car overheat at any point in time? Even just slightly overheat or does it do it now? I'm not sure of the way the internal coolant and oil passages are setup in this motor. Haven't got to see that yet and hopefully don't ever have to lol.

If I were you, just rebuild it to stay on the safe side.. don't drive until you do so.. then removal and tear down will go smoothly with nothing else broken.

Wish you luck Honda bro.. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure.
Im still not sure what the deal is with the car, maybe a coolant leak of some sort but if it is it has to be super minor. Beaty has never over heated always about 176 ECT while driving and in the midst of the summer hits 205 while sitting in a parking lot for a while but the thermostat opens, fans kick on and it drops right down.

So made it on the dyno twas a dynojet. Made 250whp 275wtq on just 93 than on E28 (again can't math) made 275whp 299wtq. We kept it super conservative incase there is a catastrophic issue, only ran 25.5 lbs of boost and the duty cycle on the injectors was about 38% I believe. The main goal was to clean it up and not have knock (made 0 knock). 4th gear pulls btw. When I first got there we put her on the dyno on the tune I was running (27won w1 race maf ethanol mix basemap on ktuner) and just to see how it was doing the way I had it. He only ran it to about 5k because the AFR's were in the high 8's low 9's. blew a bunch of smoke. kinda blue but super faint could barely see it wasn't a super thick cloud just a constant stream. By the end, there was no smoke on the pulls, and once the car makes boost and starts to climb the AFR's are right about 10.8-11.2 varying in there.

I drove an hour home last night stepping on it a little but I was nervous and just wanted to make it home and rip it near my house (incase something happened). Drove it all day beating on it(just installed the whittling rear sway bar and end links and changed the oil I use Royal Purple 5w30) and there's not a fucking thing wrong with it. Pulls really hard at about 3500-redine (I shift at 6k always have just because its a stock engine) once the turbo spools. There is a VERY distinct whistle and its loud. Super impressed, definitely more power to be made once I do a built motor, up the redline and do the hondata 4bar map sensor ill make 29lbs of boost is where ill cap it. no issues so far just put 150miles on her of aggressive windy back roads and highway pulls. she makes it to 120 really quick. But now the brakes don't hold up so next is 27won's BBK! Hopefully she lasts till the summer!

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I feel like this is going to turn into a blown engine thread. Your compression test shows somethings off. And the issue will get worse till it's addressed or one day..pop goes the weasel.

My failure was sudden. And resulted in a piston upside-down in a cylinder wall.

OP
OP
Ty3366!!

Ty3366!!

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I feel like this is going to turn into a blown engine thread. Your compression test shows somethings off. And the issue will get worse till it's addressed or one day..pop goes the weasel.

My failure was sudden. And resulted in a piston upside-down in a cylinder wall.
IK ?? i plan on fully building i just want the winter out of her. I guessed when ibought the car id get 60k but that doesnt look so realistic anymore lol. Ik you did a built tsp block. You mind giving me all the details you did like what rods did you use, port and polish the head etc. Also any issues so far? Still running meth?

SuperMotoManDRZ

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe, 2002 Acura RSX Type S, 2017 Suzuki DRZ400SM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fucking what? I have the PRL flex fuel kit on the car it tells you exactly what mix is coming through the gas tank after it updates (takes a few minutes after fill up). I was trying to not go over so went a little under.

No unfortunately im an Apple guy and im not super tech savvy to install windows on my Mac but my dad does on his so he runs the ktuner for me (uploading the basmaps in the past and opening the data logs etc). Also he is out of town at the moment and took his Mac.

Im still not sure what the deal is with the car, maybe a coolant leak of some sort but if it is it has to be super minor. Beaty has never over heated always about 176 ECT while driving and in the midst of the summer hits 205 while sitting in a parking lot for a while but the thermostat opens, fans kick on and it drops right down.

So made it on the dyno twas a dynojet. Made 250whp 275wtq on just 93 than on E28 (again can't math) made 275whp 299wtq. We kept it super conservative incase there is a catastrophic issue, only ran 25.5 lbs of boost and the duty cycle on the injectors was about 38% I believe. The main goal was to clean it up and not have knock (made 0 knock). 4th gear pulls btw. When I first got there we put her on the dyno on the tune I was running (27won w1 race maf ethanol mix basemap on ktuner) and just to see how it was doing the way I had it. He only ran it to about 5k because the AFR's were in the high 8's low 9's. blew a bunch of smoke. kinda blue but super faint could barely see it wasn't a super thick cloud just a constant stream. By the end, there was no smoke on the pulls, and once the car makes boost and starts to climb the AFR's are right about 10.8-11.2 varying in there.

I drove an hour home last night stepping on it a little but I was nervous and just wanted to make it home and rip it near my house (incase something happened). Drove it all day beating on it(just installed the whittling rear sway bar and end links and changed the oil I use Royal Purple 5w30) and there's not a fucking thing wrong with it. Pulls really hard at about 3500-redine (I shift at 6k always have just because its a stock engine) once the turbo spools. There is a VERY distinct whistle and its loud. Super impressed, definitely more power to be made once I do a built motor, up the redline and do the hondata 4bar map sensor ill make 29lbs of boost is where ill cap it. no issues so far just put 150miles on her of aggressive windy back roads and highway pulls. she makes it to 120 really quick. But now the brakes don't hold up so next is 27won's BBK! Hopefully she lasts till the summer!
Well, that's good to hear man. Was probably just a bad tune you were running for your specific mods/geographic location/climate etc., but still yet, that one cylinder being low on compression is a slight concern still. Hopefully the tune was conservative enough not to cause issues with it. Just keep an eye on gas in your oil and make sure the fluids are topped off regularly and you should be fine.. for a while lol. Glad things worked out. What model year is your car btw? I've got the 2020 and Honda was suppose to have fixed the gas/oil blow by issues with it.. hopefully :doh:

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I drove an hour home last night stepping on it ...

I was nervous and just wanted to make it home and rip it near my house (incase something happened)...

Drove it all day beating on it ...

she makes it to 120 really quick ...

But now the brakes don't hold up ...

Hopefully she lasts till the summer!
I edited your post to note a few key points that sum up your driving style pretty well. :cool:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Dude's driving the shit out of his car but at least he knows that his engine has a chance to blow at the end of this. Not like some people we've seen who do that then act shocked when their engine finally kicks the bucket. If OP knows the risks of what he's doing and he doesn't care, then more power to him.

OP
OP
Ty3366!!

Ty3366!!

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Well, that's good to hear man. Was probably just a bad tune you were running for your specific mods/geographic location/climate etc., but still yet, that one cylinder being low on compression is a slight concern still. Hopefully the tune was conservative enough not to cause issues with it. Just keep an eye on gas in your oil and make sure the fluids are topped off regularly and you should be fine.. for a while lol. Glad things worked out. What model year is your car btw? I've got the 2020 and Honda was suppose to have fixed the gas/oil blow by issues with it.. hopefully :doh:
Thats what i was thinking. Has to be the tune. But she runs great! Its a 2020. Im about to order the mishimoto catch can to be safe and hopefully help me. But since i have the PRL flex fuel kit im going to have to do a custom mount job. Im thinking onto the strut bar but ill have to have it to look at fitnent and if theres clearance and what not. My dad was a welder his whole life (retired now) so i was going to get him a welder because hes been wanting one and say hey it just so happens i have a job for us! Lol wish me luck. The shop told me $350 to install it. Hell no!
I edited your post to note a few key points that sum up your driving style pretty well. :cool:
lol thanks man
Dude's driving the shit out of his car but at least he knows that his engine has a chance to blow at the end of this. Not like some people we've seen who do that then act shocked when their engine finally kicks the bucket. If OP knows the risks of what he's doing and he doesn't care, then more power to him.
Oh for sure, I knew this motor would prolly blow up before i build it or id build it. I knew what i was getting into when the sales guy talked me into buying it. Had a 2017 civic ex went in for one of the complimentary oil changes ? and came home with Beaty White ?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honda Civic 10th gen How fucked am I ?! that-car-need-moar-power

SuperMotoManDRZ

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe, 2002 Acura RSX Type S, 2017 Suzuki DRZ400SM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thats what i was thinking. Has to be the tune. But she runs great! Its a 2020. Im about to order the mishimoto catch can to be safe and hopefully help me. But since i have the PRL flex fuel kit im going to have to do a custom mount job. Im thinking onto the strut bar but ill have to have it to look at fitnent and if theres clearance and what not. My dad was a welder his whole life (retired now) so i was going to get him a welder because hes been wanting one and say hey it just so happens i have a job for us! Lol wish me luck. The shop told me $350 to install it. Hell no!

lol thanks man

Oh for sure, I knew this motor would prolly blow up before i build it or id build it. I knew what i was getting into when the sales guy talked me into buying it. Had a 2017 civic ex went in for one of the complimentary oil changes ? and came home with Beaty White ?
You should have plenty of room down where the old airbox was and several unused bolt holes and bolts to go in them. I'm not sure about the routing as I'm new to the L15 engine, but I think that stuff would drain better with a lower mounted catch can. I know I have tons of room with my Injen CAI replacement. Kept the bolts and mounting brackets for the OE airbox as well.. maybe you could use one of those brackets to rig something up. Plus it will be tucked so to speak. Would maybe have to remove a section of your intake to check and dump it, but I wouldn't mind that for a tucked look.

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
Agree with herox about canceling the appointment for now.

Not gonna lecture you, just state some facts. The 1.5T can only take so much. The first issue here is that you were running ethanol, a race intake, dp, fp, ic, tip and w7... without a custom tune. The KTuner tune is very good but isn't necessarily designed for FBO's. Then, even after going into limp mode, throwing codes and the shop telling you to take it easy, you still were gunning it? o_O

Also, were you constantly monitoring your parameters like fuel trims and datalogging to keep tabs on how things were running leading up to this?

I run the community tuning reliability survey and this is a basic scenario that seems to cause many failures, unfortunately.

Good luck with everything. Hopefully your engine isn't too far gone. What codes did you actually throw originally (overboost?)?
Could you please make a mega thread w do's and don't of the 1.5l? Every time I see a post from you I learn something new

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
IK ?? i plan on fully building i just want the winter out of her. I guessed when ibought the car id get 60k but that doesnt look so realistic anymore lol. Ik you did a built tsp block. You mind giving me all the details you did like what rods did you use, port and polish the head etc. Also any issues so far? Still running meth?
I went with the whole package deal. saenz rods, JE pistons, CSS, ect. For the head I just upgraded the springs to titanium.

No problems so far, you do want to run a 5w-40 or 10w40 as anything lighter is consumed by the built engine lol.

Ditched the meth. Running Emmans fuel system package, injectors, hpfp, low pressure pump. Tho idk if he's openly selling it yet. Parts rn are hard to get. And atm manual boost control or motec is the only way to push into the mid to uper 30psi
Sponsored

Reactions: AVR