How fast are you taking corners in the type R?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I get slightly nervous of curves and exit ramps. I always get that FWD feeling thinking my back tires are going to skid out from under me. I usually corner at 47 mph I hit the break and corner but I know the Type R can handle a corner faster than that......

How fast are yall hugging the corners. Dont be shy..
Sponsored

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I hit the on ramp at 110. Anything under that and you're just weak AF. Get on my level bitch.
Let me know, when you have the ”part out” sale? I enjoy fast, but definitely wanna enjoy it for awhile. I already draw enough attention. #notworththerisk. ? NOT!

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I take them spirited but never too quick. I know I’m not a skilled enough driver to correct if something slips, so I don’t push hard enough to do that. I’d say usually I average 20-25mph faster than what is suggested in signs, so like a 35 between 55-60. Holds perfectly fine for me without feeling like too much.
Sounds about right. I’m waiting on my rear motor to arrive. I’m looking forward to better launching....Hasport 62A. I really like the OEM Wheels & Tire Combination.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
It depends on the corner. For an on ramp, if it’s straight I’ll just accelerate hard to like 80-85, then drop it down to cruising. If it’s the 270-degree corner, probably not higher than 40-45 (torque vectoring tends to kick in around this area for me). If it’s a bunch of S turns, then probably around 60-80.

Otherwise, other corners depend on how tight they are.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Well, there are corners, and there are corners, if you know what I mean. Conditions determine how fast to attack one. Up here, road condition is one of the main factors. A lot of ramps and surface streets as well are pocked with frost heaves, cracks, potholes, and the like. In winter and early spring, the road salt and sand is still there, making for dicey conditions (especially for the poor bastages on motorcycles). And then of course there is the curve itself. Radius, slope, camber all factor in.

Usually, though, the limiting factor is the #$@$% in front of you in the generic SUV doing ten miles an hour below the already low suggested cornering limit. Nothing like hitting an on ramp to an Interstate behind one of these dawdlers. Makes getting up to a safe merge speed extremely hard--especially when the nervous Nellies damn near stop at the end of the so-called acceleration lane because, lawdy lawdy! a car is coming a half mile back down the highway. Grr.

Seriously, though, this car is pretty much freakin' glued to the road. It's not quite at the level of my Audi S5, the car I had right before this one, but that beast was much heavier, had all-wheel drive, and one of the more sophisticated drivetrains around, with all of its uber-computer controlled stuff. It wasn't very fun, though, because it was more like Picard telling Riker " make it so" than it was Luke Skywalker piloting an X-Wing. The Type R handles sort of like my old GTI, just with more grip and more predictability in turns. And throttle modulation is generally a useful tool as well.

But as to "how fast," there is no one answer for me at least. It's generally "as fast as conditions and common sense allow."

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I get slightly nervous of curves and exit ramps. I always get that FWD feeling thinking my back tires are going to skid out from under me. I usually corner at 47 mph I hit the break and corner but I know the Type R can handle a corner faster than that......

How fast are yall hugging the corners. Dont be shy..
Do you have any track experience? I feel like that's the biggest help in figuring out a car's limits.
Also, how you brake makes a big difference.

Honda Civic 10th gen How fast are you taking corners in the type R? trail_brake

18FK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type-R #13440, 2014 Civic LX Daily Beater, 2017 Acura MDX Adv.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely depends on the “corner” but, I have taken some inclined switchbacks at 40-45 (staying in my lane). I was certainly pushing the grip limits of the OEM contis, as the rear was beginning to side step. Lateral g-force capability is why I chose this car over some straight line racer.

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Do you have any track experience? I feel like that's the biggest help in figuring out a car's limits.
Also, how you brake makes a big difference.

trail_brake.jpg
That's one thing I would love to do. Take a course in track driving FWD cars or a 1 day pro course. I think I'd learn a lot.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Well my front tires were gone by 7k miles so I'd say faster than I should be but nothing they can prove :eek:

Slowing down a bit on second set - my commute to work has a lot of change elevation parts and sweeping curves - so very easy to get some fun in both too and from work lol.

Silly fun car.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
There is a slippery curve on a road near my house. The rear end will break loose the same way every single time. I was actually surprised that +R mode allowed that much slip angle without intervening. It was fun though! Very controllable. I would encourage everyone to enter your local autocross so you can get more familiar with your car at its limits.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Getting off an exit will be faster than getting onto the interstate due to the angle the tire's contact patch with the road.

Depending on your tire, you could pull some serious Gs getting off an exit, 70-80mph?

Very unlikely the rear will step out unless you stab the brakes mid turn or something. Basically every car on the road will terminal understeer.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
These 4 onramp turns all connect to eachother and sometimes ill go when theres no traffic just doing them back to back. It's how I practiced to take turns on my bike and now my car lol. They are rated for 25mph so far i've been able to hit 60

Honda Civic 10th gen How fast are you taking corners in the type R? Screenshot_20200809-235052_Samsung capture

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I went on a run a few weeks back with a bunch of other R's. It was a great experience as we were out on the back roads with little traffic and I could follow folks who knew better than I what our cars could do.

Every corner is different, but in general on many of the mountain corners we could do about 5mph over twice the curve speed (those yellow signs). So a curve marked at 30mph we could take at 65mph. Marked at 20 would be 45. But that was without other traffic, and following drivers who knew those curve intimately and their cars. And, always staying in our lanes. And of course, its not holding that speed the whoel way through the curve, braking into it and accelerating out of it.

Take a run with others or get in a few track days. You will learn a ton. I did. (And I still won't corner that hard unless following someone I trust.)
Sponsored