First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Honda Accord LX
Country flag
Hello,

So I'm currently driving a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid. It's an SOHC 3.0L V-6 with the IMA system. According to the internet, it produces 255 horsepower and 232 ft/lbs of torque. The reason I am here is I was considering a used 1.5L Accord with the 6 speed manual. I was wondering how hard it would be to get it to a comparable level of power to the '05 (255/232). I tried asking this question on the AccordX Forum, but was told basically to just get the 2.0. I just want to know if you be pushing the 1.5L too much to get near 255/232 at the crank. Could the CVT handle this sort of power? (I saw the Hondata video about the CVT) I know you guys have more experience with modding the 1.5's so I wanted to ask here. Thank You.
Sponsored

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Hello,

So I'm currently driving a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid. It's an SOHC 3.0L V-6 with the IMA system. According to the internet, it produces 255 horsepower and 232 ft/lbs of torque. The reason I am here is I was considering a used 1.5L Accord with the 6 speed manual. I was wondering how hard it would be to get it to a comparable level of power to the '05 (255/232). I tried asking this question on the AccordX Forum, but was told basically to just get the 2.0. I just want to know if you be pushing the 1.5L too much to get near 255/232 at the crank. Could the CVT handle this sort of power? (I saw the Hondata video about the CVT) I know you guys have more experience with modding the 1.5's so I wanted to ask here. Thank You.
Yes it's doable. You can actually make a lot more torque with the 6MT. Upwards of 300 WTQ. You will need ethanol to do this however. Some guys in Thailand have pushed their CVTS pretty hard closer to 300 WTQ, but they are using high performance transmission fluids, and CVT coolers. With Ktuner, downpipe, front pipe, and intercooler and a custom tune for an E35 blend, you should have no problem reaching that power level.

OP
OP
The_Head

The_Head

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Honda Accord LX
Country flag
Ok, how about just 91 octane? I can't really get E85 here. The closet pump is 180 miles away. I noticed Ktuner had a stage 1 tune for the 1.5 that does something like 215/240 to the wheels? Was that on 91 octane? If so, that and maybe a few upgrades for flow would be great.

Last edited:

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Pretty sure it was on 93 octane. 91 octane which is not the ideal fuel, probably won't perform as well. Without ethanol, only other option would be a turbo upgrade. Haven't heard of any of these though. Might be some overseas.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Ok, how about just 91 octane? I can't really get E85 here. The closet pump is 180 miles away. I noticed Ktuner had a stage 1 tune for the 1.5 that does something like 215/240 to the wheels? Was that on 91 octane? If so, that and maybe a few upgrades for flow would be great.
From what I know, the KTuner basemaps are tuned for 91 Octane or greater, so yes, 91 will be fine.
Quote from their 1.5T Accord page:
"We are currently offering multiple research calibrations. Running 91+ will give the best results. "

You can get your 255 BHP / 232 TQ numbers, but not with a simple basemap tune, though.
You'll need to go some physical modifications.

The 2.0T in the Accord is essentially a de-tuned FK8 Type-R engine...of course, with some different internal components. It already makes 252 HP / 275 TQ off the lot. The KTuner basemap Stage 2 tune pushes the power even higher.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should get similar numbers... but a somewhat different delivery in power jumping out of a small V6 with electric assist. You’d also be going from a car that probably about 300 lbs lighter (3500 to 3200) so I’d expect even if the 1.5t falls a little short in power on a reflash, power to weight ought to be about the same. Looking back at the old IMA cars; their weight penalty looks to have made them about the same quickness at the non-hybrid V6 Accord despite the extra torque. Those numbers will also be on the old SAE measurement standard that changed for 2006 cars and newer. On the new standard, you can expect it’s measure somewhat less. The only dyno that immediate came up was 210hp/195tq. Easily matched by a 1.5t so far as peak numbers go. Wish the graphs were still embedded properly but it looks like the links are broken.

https://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=311751&page_number=3

Best thing to do is just drive them back to back and see for yourself; but the stock car at the dealership will have a very linear and modest torque delivery compared to what a reflash would provide.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
if you run a tuner with 21 psi basemap you'll have more torque and a bit less hp but it should still feel like the v6 you have. You don't need more than that to get the 1.5 to the same level as your current v6 IMO.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Uh sorry to burst your bubble but the 1.5T does not have the same direct aftermarket parts support like the 1.5T civic.

So things like flex fuel kit that PRL or Sirimoto makes will not work on Ktuner as they have not coded for it (my friend with a 1.5t accord emailed them about 1 month back).

While dp/fp are there, things like a direct bolt on turbo kit are also not available. So 255whp with just intake, dp and added boost on 91/93 aint going to hit 255 from 192 crank hp.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
from seeing dynos of ktuner 21 psi with an otherwise stock engine hit 205 wheel hp and 260 wh torque I'd say add those bolt ons and you're damn near 255 crank if not past it. The civic hatch 1,5t rated at 180 often pulls 185-190 wheel hp so adding 50 from a tune and intake and some exhaust isn't far-fetched at all. Plus it'll have even more torque than the v6, pretty sure the new Accord is going to feel just about the same if not faster than your current one.
Sponsored