how eager to know are you?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
That assumes the 1.5T is underrated, which I doubt. I think this has more to do with the performance capabilities between CVT and 6MT. The former has a HUGE advantage in keeping power delivery in the peak range in nearly all conditions, except following idle. But like most here I'm waiting for the dyno results to come in before making any concreate judgments. The 6MT, by comparison, has to factor the average power under the curve relative to the gear ratio. On a typical readout, that usually means a 5-10% disadvantage when rowing through the gears.

The GTI is truly underrated. Several reports have put the 220 HP variant at around 260-270 at the crank.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
Sponsored

Roddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The GTI is truly underrated. Several reports have put the 220 HP variant at around 260-270 at the crank.

Yep exactly which is why I'm not concerned with how Honda rates their engine for power, more about how it actually performs. I don't think the 1.5T will have much to gain with tunes and bolt ons... maybe a 25hp bump before its maxed out. The GTI makes some big gains with tuning alone... so if the Si makes power like the GTI and gains from tunes like the GTI then... we will have a winner

samking1489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen SI
If the engine is the same as the type r, it will be easy to make it more powerfull. Even if some parts are different, everybody knows that it is easy to make over 250hp with a 2 liter turbo... Hyundai can hahaha. Take a k20 for exemple. It is not made for turbo ir supercharger and you can make it pull 350whp. So imagine what will be possible with a lower compression engine with stronger parts and camshafts engineered for turbo application.

Roddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So imagine what will be possible with a lower compression engine with stronger parts and camshafts engineered for turbo application.
Yeah not my bag really... If a tune for a few hundred dollars put me at 250whp I'd be happy. I'm not interested in dumping money into internals .. I just want a peppy daily with good MPG's...

samking1489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen SI
What I meant is the stock engine will have these parts ready for boost. So tune + maybe a downpipe will probably give you around 250whp or maybe more.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
Yep exactly which is why I'm not concerned with how Honda rates their engine for power, more about how it actually performs. I don't think the 1.5T will have much to gain with tunes and bolt ons... maybe a 25hp bump before its maxed out. The GTI makes some big gains with tuning alone... so if the Si makes power like the GTI and gains from tunes like the GTI then... we will have a winner
1.5t with bolt ons and tune be able to do 230-250hp to the crank. Easily. Don't forget it makes "174"hp on 87 octane. Bolt ons and 94 octane tune will make a big difference. The weak point could be the CVT.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
I mean if horsepower is everything maybe you should look at an ecoBoost Stang. It may be possible to generate 300hp out of the Si but you are looking at a blown engine.. like so many have tried before.
No I'm not much of a domestic guy. And if I was to get a muscle car, only way to go is a v8. As far as the civic 2.0t si being able to produce 300hp I bet it will no problem. Horsepower is not everything. That's why I own a honda haha.

Honda2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm between an 8-9. I've had my Fit for over 10 years now and I'm 6'3", it's starting to get really cramped as I age although it's been the best car I've ever owned. I had an '06 Si which I had to trade very prematurely, If it sizes up to that but with the 2.0t, I'm in. I'm just not looking forward to a car payment as I've been free of one for some time :p

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
1.5t with bolt ons and tune be able to do 230-250hp to the crank. Easily. Don't forget it makes "174"hp on 87 octane. Bolt ons and 94 octane tune will make a big difference. The weak point could be the CVT.
In an effort to not oversell this platform, I'd venture to say we have several years before we get to that point. True, Honda tends to overbuild their drivetrains. But I think Direct Injection is going to limit what tuners can do early on. I predict the HPFP and injectors could end up being a huge limitation. And IMHO, adding bolt-ons "could" exacerbate a lean condition.

Case in point; it took over 24 months for the community to fully crack DBW.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
VW likes to cheat, and the "CheatTI" is no exception.
One thing that will be interesting about a turbo Si compared to a GTI will be how forgiving the ECU will be. In the GTI, the ECU apparently has very generous engine mapping. Unlike other cars where an air intake or exhaust can throw the engine into a lean condition which it's ECU refuses to compensate for, the GTI works with bolt-ons. There is a lot of HP hiding in the GTI ECU. Throw on an air intake, DP and exhaust and you get at least 30WHP, but more importantly the A/F is corrected by the ECU WITHOUT a tune. So, this is at least one attribute I would love to see in the Si.

More important than HP figures though, will be the 0-60 and 1/4 mile trap speeds. 0-60 will tell us if Honda can make a FWD accelerate beyond the mid 5 second limit that seems to affect most FWD's, and the 1/4 trap speed will show how efficient the car puts down it's power. Already, the 1.5T is very impressive for it's modest power ratings!

So, we'll have to wait and see what the tuning community comes up with. I bet that stock, the Si will match the GTI 6MT in a straight line, I am sure the Si will be much lighter than a GTI.

BTW, WTF is there still no damn info on the Si?? Not even mules....

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I'm at an 8 - only that low because I'm in it for the TypeR. Specs on the Si could help with figuring out specs on the TypeR!

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Specs on the Si could help with figuring out specs on the TypeR!
I am expecting nothing less on the US based R than what is currently available in Europe. I think the real thought here is what platform will be used to house the goodness of the R. Will it be a coupe? sedan? hatchback? -and of course, when? At this point in time, I anticipate it will be at least another year before the R is available to the US, possibly longer.

For the Si, what will it offer? There are still lots of unknowns and who knows when we will hear any info.

In another year, the market will be flooded with new vehicles in this segment of the market, possibly some newcomers.

hothatchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Mark5
I am expecting nothing less on the US based R than what is currently available in Europe. I think the real thought here is what platform will be used to house the goodness of the R. Will it be a coupe? sedan? hatchback? -and of course, when? At this point in time, I anticipate it will be at least another year before the R is available to the US, possibly longer.

For the Si, what will it offer? There are still lots of unknowns and who knows when we will hear any info.

In another year, the market will be flooded with new vehicles in this segment of the market, possibly some newcomers.
The 10th gen coupe, sedan, and hatchback will all be built on the same platform. If you're talking body style, the Type R will be a hatchback -- see First look at 2017 Civic Type R Hatchback Prototype! Spy pics

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
It's all speculation at this point. I feel like a school girl gossiping about cars at this point.

I'm excited about the car but not getting my hopes up.

hothatchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Mark5
It's all speculation at this point. I feel like a school girl gossiping about cars at this point.

I'm excited about the car but not getting my hopes up.
That's not speculation. It's fact that all the different body styles are being built on the same 10th gen platform.
Sponsored