how does the auto-hill assist work?

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Weird question. I can creep the car in first with barely lifting my leg.

I noticed on hill starts (where it automatically holds the brake for you), I almost have to be all the way out with the clutch before the car starts moving. This leaves me revving for a little while longer than accustomed to.

I thought the auto hill hold was supposed to disengage as soon as you touch the gas pedal.

Can ne1 else share their experience?
Sponsored

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I noticed on hill starts (where it automatically holds the brake for you), I almost have to be all the way out with the clutch before the car starts moving. This leaves me revving for a little while longer than accustomed to.

I thought the auto hill hold was supposed to disengage as soon as you touch the gas pedal.

For the auto-hill assist this is what happens for me: On a steep enough gradient I can come to a complete stop. With the clutch in and I remove my foot from the brake pedal, the car doesn't begin to roll backwards until after a few seconds. After that, the car rolls back. If the clutch is not in and the car is in neutral, hill assist does not work. The auto-hill assist disengages very quickly for me.

For the brake-hold: After coming to a complete stop and I take my foot off the brake pedal, the car does not move until I begin driving; then it de-activates. There is a delay and the car needs to be moving forward sufficiently until the brake hold goes back to standby mode. The transition from being fixed in place to moving when using the brake-hold, there is some delay and I can feel the brake still gripping me; preventing the car from rolling until the car is moving forward. This sounds like the method you are using as it does take decent revs to get the car moving.

Delay in getting the car moving feels more noticeable using the brake hold. And usually requires more rev and being almost off the clutch fully.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag

hill start assist does not disengage the moment you touch the gas pedal. It disengages after a set amount of time (it's like 1 sec or something).

OP
OP
tehSteve

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. The brake hold is activated by pressing the button correct? I never press any button unless I am putting on the parking brake.

The hill start feature that requires no button pushing must have some-kind of methodology behind it.
I don't think it forces a hold for "1 second no matter what" because that would be a safety issue when you need to do a "quick start".

Last edited:

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. The brake hold is activated by pressing the button correct? I never press any button unless I am putting on the parking brake.

The hill start feature that requires no button pushing must have some-kind of methodology behind it.
I don't think it forces a hold for "1 second no matter what" because that would be a safety issue when you need to do a "quick start".
The auto-hill start assist does disengage after approximately 2-3 seconds. Then the car begins to roll backwards if no action is taken. It will disengage sooner if ther drive applies throttle and lets off the clutch to accelerate the vehicle forward.

OP
OP
tehSteve

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I think what I am trying to get at is that the clutch catches real high when starting off on a hill.
Like on a scale of from 1 being barely off the floor to 10 being completely off, I would give it a 7 or 8.

On a flat surface start I would give the bite a 2 or 3.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?

I've broken it in very gently and still 0 boost as I haven't hit the 600 mile mark yet.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
clutch engagement point should not change whether its a hill start or not.

maybe you are just feeling it catching a little high because the car does not start moving until it's higher up in the travel due to it being held by the hill start assist on the lower part of the trave;.

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with the clutch engagement point, it shouldn't change. On a flat surface I can let off the clutch w/o applying any throttle and the car moves. But when on an incline (with or without hill assist) the engine has to overcome the weight of the car and gravity that wants to force the car to roll downhill, thus you are required to apply more throttle and let off the clutch slower (thus an appeared longer engagement point) in order to prevent the car from stalling or rolling backwards.

I agree that I have to let off the clutch slower and more throttle on hills, that's normal with any manual.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The hill start assist feature on my Ridgeline results in a bit of "power braking" on occasion - most often when backing slightly uphill out of my brother's driveway. Sometimes, I have to press the accelerator a bit more than I prefer before the brakes release. When they do, the truck will lurch backward if I don't quickly let off the accelerator. The hill start assist feature cannot be turned off.
Sponsored

Last edited: