First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm with you 100%. While my other half and I have always had "good" jobs, our cars were always at the higher end of what we could afford (monthly). A few years ago we very deliberately eliminated 100% of our debt and vowed to live well under our means no matter what. Now, through time luck and skill, we bring home a bit over $12K per month and spend maybe $4000 total per month on all of our expenses fixed and variable. I say that not to brag or show conceit, but actually - hopefully - to illustrate that I drive a new Si and she drives a 3 year old VW Jetta because we live WELL beneath our means. Each mod I do to this car I try to think through carefully and try to have the mindset of someone making say $40-$50K. If we were in this position 5-10 years ago, I can guarantee you I would be driving a new M3, she would drive a Range Rover, and I would probably even stretch to get a 911 as a third car. It's all too easy to be broke no matter how much money you make when you have the mindset that Income A must equal Possessions B.

Long story short for you younger people here: it's a fool's errand to own and mod an Si when you are only able to do it by loading up your credit cards, deferring student loans, etc. Take it from someone who used to live at 99.99999999% of his means when he was much younger.
Most of of us will never have $100k cars... $1 million homes... or be able to retire super early. Iā€™m in that camp... but Iā€™ve got a good balance and life is good. Still good to splurge now and then. When I had to cancel the ā€˜20 Wake the Dragon and couldnā€™t do a summer vacation because I was on a travel restriction... I just had a small pool and deck put in. Itā€™s been the best spring/summer yet... despite everything going on.
Honda Civic 10th gen How does everyone fund their builds? C5EB7B13-1894-49C5-94B7-B5DC4D946134

Itā€™s all about finding that balance and not spending so much of tomorrowā€™s money today or failing to investing in your future that the future sucks while still enjoying today. May we all find that balance, whatever it is for each of us, that lets us be content today and not afraid of the future.
Sponsored

xile6

First Name
jermaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si, 05 scion tc turbo , 98 honda civic turbo
Country flag
Ive been a mechanic for years and started doing 3d prints and sells a few years ago.

Other then that just electronic repair

Shingo_FK7

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Honestly Iā€™m funding my build as best I can while working at target. It works semi-well. I just donā€™t spend much.

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unemployment Money

Si_NSX904

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Monthly I put $100 into my Robinhood account and use the earnings for mods.
join.robinhood.com/paulj1569

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Trump bucks.

Speaking of, where's my new check? Pappy needs a new set of wheels!

I have fun money in the budget, independent of savings. I can typically afford a few hundred a month for one thing or another. Last month we under-spent on groceries so the $1000 I spent didn't go over budget.

balistek

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I'm with you 100%. While my other half and I have always had "good" jobs, our cars were always at the higher end of what we could afford (monthly). A few years ago we very deliberately eliminated 100% of our debt and vowed to live well under our means no matter what. Now, through time luck and skill, we bring home a bit over $12K per month and spend maybe $4000 total per month on all of our expenses fixed and variable. I say that not to brag or show conceit, but actually - hopefully - to illustrate that I drive a new Si and she drives a 3 year old VW Jetta because we live WELL beneath our means. Each mod I do to this car I try to think through carefully and try to have the mindset of someone making say $40-$50K. If we were in this position 5-10 years ago, I can guarantee you I would be driving a new M3, she would drive a Range Rover, and I would probably even stretch to get a 911 as a third car. It's all too easy to be broke no matter how much money you make when you have the mindset that Income A must equal Possessions B.

Long story short for you younger people here: it's a fool's errand to own and mod an Si when you are only able to do it by loading up your credit cards, deferring student loans, etc. Take it from someone who used to live at 99.99999999% of his means when he was much younger.
Very sound advice. Its insane how life can be expensive. Student loans, kids in general, school for children, auto loans, house, CC debt is the worse,. You can't out earn a bad habit. As you said, its relative. Bigger wallet, bigger toys. I make great money, but I am sole income. I just picked up another job-- highly lucrative. I should take home a few thousand more than you-- hard to gauge-- I just started. But, i need to pay off debt. I admit. It's hard to not fall under the mindset of, "I'm working hard; I'll pay off debt, but I need this "x" to keep my motivation up to keep working towards my goals. Especially when X is car parts which can add up. Im trying to follow principles of Dave Ramsey. I dont agree with everything, but basic principles are there. Building a budget is key--As you mentioned; I am trying to focus on the 5 year plan. Where I could be in 5 years if I just persevere and remain constant. Sometimes it can be frustrating to think "I make way to much money to be in this much debt." But life happens. I lost a child--incurred alot of debt s/t medical issues. Wouldnt change a thing; I'm blessed for every moment I got with him. Lots of emotional spending after that by the wife and I as well. Its those unexpected events in life. If anything, the value of an emergency fund is so important to me. Moving forward, I plan to keep those lessons learned along the way. All the best
Sponsored