How do you skip tracks via bluetooth using steering controls

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I'll press the left and right directional buttons and it does nothing when I'm connected via bluetooth.

It's been over a year and I still don't know.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'll press the left and right directional buttons and it does nothing when I'm connected via bluetooth.

It's been over a year and I still don't know.
The right arrow works on my 2016 Touring. What model do you have? Have you asked the dealer?

OP
OP

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
The right arrow works on my 2016 Touring. What model do you have? Have you asked the dealer?
Have not asked the dealer. It's the touring sedan. Works just fine with android auto, the radio, and Sirius but not Bluetooth. Neither skip up or down will work. I have to reach over and skip via the screen.

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I had exact problem, with the same car, and unfortunately It's your phone.

My Oneplus 3T wouldn't work with skipping tracks via steering wheel, although it worked perfectly with a loaner Honda Fit.
Then my phone got a system update to android 8.0 and now magically the steering wheel controls on my 2016 Touring work.

You'd think the bluetooth standard would be standardized by now but apparently it's not the case. Taking it to the dealer will be a waste of your time unless your phone is on their (miniscule and very outdated) approved phone list.

OP
OP

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Figured it was a software thing. Thanks.

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I can skip on my EX-T, however sometimes it won't work right after I start the car. About 30-60 seconds later it works fine.

420moonboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic
Strange thing is up until today I was able to press the left/right buttons on the steering wheel to skip on android auto. Nothing has changed and now I've got this problem too. My phone hasn't been updated and obviously the car software hasn't been. Android auto's last update was a few weeks ago... This is so puzzling to me and now I have to take my eyes off the road

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
^Just to clarify, OP and my comment were regarding BLUETOOTH track skipping.

I've never used AA, and can't comment whether it works or not on the steering wheel.

mzubb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda Pilot, 2006 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota Camry
Country flag
On my 2017 Si it seems inconsistent. The steering wheel skip/back buttons always work for bluetooth as long as my dash information is set to music. But if I start the car with the fuel information displayed, I have to briefly switch it to music to get skip/back to work. Then I can go back to any other display mode and the controls keep working. Then other times it works right away. I dunno, like I said, inconsistent.

Last edited:

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I usually don't use the BT for music, so it doesn't really bother me. .. but the couple of times I messed with it, I can't skip with any of the car controls.

OP
OP

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I had exact problem, with the same car, and unfortunately It's your phone.
On my 2017 Si it seems inconsistent. The steering wheel skip/back buttons always work for bluetooth as long as my dash information is set to music.
Managed to figure it out, yea, it needs to be in music mode (on your dash)

Skip forward and back work with the steering controls via bluetooth as long as it's in music mode

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
Managed to figure it out, yea, it needs to be in music mode (on your dash)

Skip forward and back work with the steering controls via bluetooth as long as it's in music mode
Do you mean in the 'audio' display? Mine's always there. No control with the wheel or touch screen.

OP
OP

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Do you mean in the 'audio' display? Mine's always there. No control with the wheel or touch screen.
I assume so, the Music note mode is what I mean. Doesn't work in any other mode but it works for me in that mode.

cfleegle

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Coupe 2015 Chrysler 200s
Vehicle Showcase
He means on the screen behind the steering wheel. Go to the music note on that screen and it takes a couple seconds but then you can skip songs.
Sponsored