How do you remove those freaking bumper push pin clips?

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
In particular the ones that don't have the gap in the sides, part number 91505-TM8-003. If the clip is easily accessible they can be removed by punting a flat head screw driver on each side and pry both sides at the same time. However when removing the fake vent cover to replace the fog light or to do a horn upgrade there is one of these pins in the corner that is difficult to reach and really hard to remove using 2 screw drivers. I bought a push pin removal tool on amazon but the tips were to wide to easily fit into the gap between the center pin and outside of the pin.
Honda Civic 10th gen How do you remove those freaking bumper push pin clips? pushpin-smaller

Honda sells a tool for about 30 bucks but I couldn't find any good images of it so I didn't know if it would be much easier than the generic one that didn't work too well.

Solution, design and 3d print my own tool. The gap is only 1.5mm wide so if I printed a traditional type of push pin pliers the points would be to flexible and too fragile so had to come up with a different design. The design I came up with was a clip that presses over the center pin and locks into place:
Honda Civic 10th gen How do you remove those freaking bumper push pin clips? grabber-cross-section-small
Honda Civic 10th gen How do you remove those freaking bumper push pin clips? grabber-ortho-view-small

Then a collar slides over the clip to keep to it locked into place:

Honda Civic 10th gen How do you remove those freaking bumper push pin clips? collar-ortho-cross-section-small

And then for the final little bit it screws down and the edge of the collar presses on the outside ring of the push pin which will then force the center pin to pop out.

Here's a little demo:

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those fasteners are pretty flimsy too.
It helps to liberally soak these fasteners with WD40 or some kind of penetrating lubricant spray beforehand.
Makes releasing the pin part much easier and, in my case anyway, a less likely chance of breaking the damn things.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
In particular the ones that don't have the gap in the sides, part number 91505-TM8-003. If the clip is easily accessible they can be removed by punting a flat head screw driver on each side and pry both sides at the same time. However when removing the fake vent cover to replace the fog light or to do a horn upgrade there is one of these pins in the corner that is difficult to reach and really hard to remove using 2 screw drivers. I bought a push pin removal tool on amazon but the tips were to wide to easily fit into the gap between the center pin and outside of the pin.

Honda sells a tool for about 30 bucks but I couldn't find any good images of it so I didn't know if it would be much easier than the generic one that didn't work too well.

Solution, design and 3d print my own tool. The gap is only 1.5mm wide so if I printed a traditional type of push pin pliers the points would be to flexible and too fragile so had to come up with a different design. The design I came up with was a clip that presses over the center pin and locks into place:

Then a collar slides over the clip to keep to it locked into place:

And then for the final little bit it screws down and the edge of the collar presses on the outside ring of the push pin which will then force the center pin to pop out.

Here's a little demo:
That's really neat. How long did it take to design this?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
You can use one of these very carefully to pry them up, but just know that you will occasionally break them. It would be good to buy some extras to have around.

Even if they don’t break, they really wear out with age and a few removals. Extra clips shouldn’t be too expensive. They sell some knock-offs that work at auto parts stores, if you arent super OCD like me.

Honda Civic 10th gen How do you remove those freaking bumper push pin clips? EF046D25-5290-4E05-B009-BCFE03E52090

OP, if you end up selling your special push pin tool, i’d pay 5-10 bucks for it if it lasts.

OP
OP

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's really neat. How long did it take to design this?
A couple days randomly thinking about how to do it. After coming up with the idea of how to do it a half a day on Friday doing the design and printing it. Most of Saturday doing some more refinements and printing them.

OP
OP

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is really awesome. Do you plan to share the STL file?
I ended up getting the Honda tool for 30 bucks which works better than my gadget, but if you don't want to spend that much I think my gadget works better than the generic tools.

Here you go:
Sponsored

Attachments