How do you lock car doors (warm up) when the car is running?

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
The walk away feature is cool but only works when the car is off. My insurance company sure does not like when I run the car in the driveway for 10 min unlocked! I suppose I could pull the "real key" out of the fob and twist it in the door lock to manually lock it. Is this the only way? I know without the key fob near or in the car ... you certainly won't get very far but I sure do want to lock the doors while it is running unattended...
Sponsored

campjena

Betty
First Name
Jena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The walk away feature is cool but only works when the car is off. My insurance company sure does not like when I run the car in the driveway for 10 min unlocked! I suppose I could pull the "real key" out of the fob and twist it in the door lock to manually lock it. Is this the only way? I know without the key fob near or in the car ... you certainly won't get very far but I sure do want to lock the doors while it is running unattended...
I haven't found another way to do so.....but here's how:

Step one: get in the car with the key fob put my foot on the brake and start the car.

Step two: exit the car with key fob in hand and close all doors.
(the car will beep letting me know that there is no key present)

Step three: remove the physical key from the key fob and lock the door using the key via the door handle.

All of the doors will now be locked with the car running
( this trick will disable the key fob so you have to use the physical to unlock the door to gain access to the vehicle)

I hope this helps someone.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As above, you can start up the car normally, then step out with the fob, remove the physical key, insert into the slot and turn anti-clockwise to lock all doors.

When getting back in, you will have to use the physical key again, and turn it clockwise to open all doors. You won't be able to use the Open button on the fob.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think there is any other way but using the physical key to lock then unlock the doors. I have also heard that you can drive the car without the keyfob if it's been started and the car will drive until you turn it off.

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
I can confirm that the car will continue to operate and can be driven away without the fob present.

Blitted_Master

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe (SOLD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think there is any other way but using the physical key to lock then unlock the doors. I have also heard that you can drive the car without the keyfob if it's been started and the car will drive until you turn it off.
I dislike both of these features.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One way you might be able to do it, (risky still) is leave the spare key in the car somewhere hidden when warming the vehicle up. As long as the vehicle is detecting a key inside of it you my not have a problem locking it with the other fob.

jrogers329

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan Lunar Silver
Country flag
I had the dealer make me a metal key, just so I could lock the doors while running. I’d rather have just a metal key than risk dropping and breaking the fob while trying to take it apart

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
This won't work?
1. Start car sitting on driver seat
2. Exit car
3. Close driver door
4. Go around and open passenger door and hit lock button.
5. close passenger door.

Works on my Prelude but I don't have push-button start. ;-(

BlownLSX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I don’t know about you but I’m the northeast, my Si doesn’t warm up at all sitting there. I’ve actually seen the gauge after like 5 min of driving go down at a long red light. Only mention of warm up in the manual is starting in cold weather to avoid heavy acceleration or high rpm. The cold idle usually is done around 30 seconds. Drops from 2100 to 12-1300. That’s when I drive off. Still averaging 32mpg in the winter in my 50% city 50% hwy commute.

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
I had the dealer make me a metal key, just so I could lock the doors while running. I’d rather have just a metal key than risk dropping and breaking the fob while trying to take it apart
All PTS vehicles already have a valet key, it's in the bottom of the keyfob. There is no way to lock the driver's door with OEM equipment while the vehicle is running (try manually pushing the physical lock slider on the door above the handle, it won't move), and the only way to be able to do so is using an aftermarket alarm or remote start with a data module.

This won't work?
1. Start car sitting on driver seat
2. Exit car
3. Close driver door
4. Go around and open passenger door and hit lock button.
5. close passenger door.
No, the above would apply to non-PTS vehicles.

Honda decided to make this a safety feature in case someone accidentally leaves the keyfob in the car. The only way to get around this is using an aftermarket alarm or remote start brain with a data module (for example, a CompuStar 7000AS brain with a Blade-AL data module), and it would only work with the aftermarket keyfobs, even if the brain allowed OEM remote functionality.
Sponsored