How do you guys do a 'CLEAN' oil change?

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
A big open oil catch pan lined with a big sheet of cardboard underneath. You'll be fine.
This might be the route I go I need a better pan the thing I have from autozone or wherever is just a hole in the top / large opening, but it has no lip so you better be dead on or it's over.

Thanks!
Sponsored

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
How much does that cost?
Found it for between 80-100 depending on where you get it. Interesting but not sure if way I want to go or not.
yep got mine for $100 on Amazon. Can do full oil changes on the GTI without lifting the car (oil filter is accessible from the top) and drain the oil from the Civic, only need to lift to get the filter.

also great if you’re worried about oil dilution with the 1.5T. Super easy to just pump out the diluted oil and refill with fresh oil whenever you want, without lifting the car.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Easy oil change. Cardboard is your friend but I didn't need which is unusual for me. I love that the filter is angled so it doesn't dump hot oil on your hand. Oil is THIN! Try changing the oil on a 911! Comes out like a freakin' fire hose at the start. Seems like a waste to even have a drain pan as it just acts like a spring board to launch the oil.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I picked up one of these I put down every time, even though I have a Fumoto valve. If I've ever spilled a few drops it's not enough to even notice yet. 6 oil changes over it and I haven't needed to wash it yet.

If you need to pour oil from a drain pan into a bottle, it's mighty convenient to make sure any drops you spill don't get anywhere either.

https://www.amazon.com/Drymate-Spill-Inches-Premium-Absorbent/dp/B07R185TNN/r

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Is the filter in a different spot than on the 1.5? I never had much of a problem doing a clean job on there.

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also on the f' the dealership train.

I took in my Type R for it's second oil change to the Honda dealer.

Did all the usual cool stuff - asked for a proper tech and not quick lube, stressed the importance of not washing my car, etc.

Dealer - "Don't worry, master tech will do it and we won't wash it"

Pick up my car, they washed it. I was upset. Please tell me you did not drive it through the touchless wash - no we hand washed it... lol, they probably did because there was a lot of missed spots.

Get home, park in the garage... look over the car and notice they damaged a wheel. Drive right back, they order a replacement...

Few nights later I'm driving home, stop for gas, pull out of the gas station and I hear a terrible crunch sound. I'm instantly worried what else they did wrong, pull over - missing bolts from the silver oil tray cover and the front was hanging and bent. Drive home safely. Tell dealer, they argue they didn't do it but end up ordering the parts.

Take it for wheel and cover replacement. Honda MASTER TECH - "best guy here" - H wheel cap was aligned incorrectly. Called me picky for expecting OEM quality from Honda dealership. lol

Yeah, fuck the dealership. I get it - I'm getting older, have kids, limited free time, and I'm not poor anymore, so a lot of times I do think - man, I wish I could just pay to get my oil changed or get my car washed - but unless you are paying top dollar, there is too much risk for simple things imo. I'd rather do it myself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Also on the f' the dealership train.

I took in my Type R for it's second oil change to the Honda dealer.

Did all the usual cool stuff - asked for a proper tech and not quick lube, stressed the importance of not washing my car, etc.

Dealer - "Don't worry, master tech will do it and we won't wash it"

Pick up my car, they washed it. I was upset. Please tell me you did not drive it through the touchless wash - no we hand washed it... lol, they probably did because there was a lot of missed spots.

Get home, park in the garage... look over the car and notice they damaged a wheel. Drive right back, they order a replacement...

Few nights later I'm driving home, stop for gas, pull out of the gas station and I hear a terrible crunch sound. I'm instantly worried what else they did wrong, pull over - missing bolts from the silver oil tray cover and the front was hanging and bent. Drive home safely. Tell dealer, they argue they didn't do it but end up ordering the parts.

Take it for wheel and cover replacement. Honda MASTER TECH - "best guy here" - H wheel cap was aligned incorrectly. Called me picky for expecting OEM quality from Honda dealership. lol

Yeah, fuck the dealership. I get it - I'm getting older, have kids, limited free time, and I'm not poor anymore, so a lot of times I do think - man, I wish I could just pay to get my oil changed or get my car washed - but unless you are paying top dollar, there is too much risk for simple things imo. I'd rather do it myself.
The screws at the front of the tray worry me the most. Those take a special phillips head to properly bite and turn them. A tech will just probably toss a flat head in there and make it work / ruin it.

Sorry for your pain, I've got miles of stories on dealerships and why I stay away lol.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen How do you guys do a 'CLEAN' oil change? F03F0CBA-4627-4B28-B769-FAFD64EB608A
Honda Civic 10th gen How do you guys do a 'CLEAN' oil change? 065081BF-63BF-4845-9513-D9C2FF173410
Here are the pix I have of the Type R filter location....

Will be removing the catch tray tonight to retrieve a bolt I dropped while installing a HKS BOV and will snap a better pic.

Is the filter in a different spot than on the 1.5? I never had much of a problem doing a clean job on there.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Here are the pix I have of the Type R filter location....

Will be removing the catch tray tonight to retrieve a bolt I dropped while installing a HKS BOV and will snap a better pic.
Yeah, that's pretty balls.

The 1.5T has the oil filter tilted toward the oil pan and the oil pan has a groove cast into it so the oil flows down the side of the oil pan and drips directly into your drain pan without spreading out all over the place.

Slowly unscrew, let oil drip down groove, remove filter and wipe side of oil pan.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen How do you guys do a 'CLEAN' oil change? C9147D78-0446-400A-A1C8-B76B86E63D32

Am using one of these now... Though didn’t have issues with the OEM tray.

Do like that it uses bolts that use a 10mm socket all around.

Poor placement of the oil access window renders that feature useless however.

The screws at the front of the tray worry me the most. Those take a special phillips head to properly bite and turn them. A tech will just probably toss a flat head in there and make it work / ruin it.

Sorry for your pain, I've got miles of stories on dealerships and why I stay away lol.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen How do you guys do a 'CLEAN' oil change? 60E94821-BBF9-496E-B2A2-3D2E0DC3D803
Here is another shot of the oil filter location, until I can take a better photo tonight.

wewong

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
MityVac fluid evacuator.

If you get it in to the oil pan just right, it’ll drain it almost completely. You can put it up on stands after and pull the drain plug if you like, only about a shot glass worth more comes out over a few minutes of dripping.

F0C1CAF5-B45A-42A4-8464-2B8A61D5C837.jpeg
I do use the MityVac for my german cars... but didn't know how well it would work on the FK8. Will attempt using that next time I change the oil.

Last edited:

romuhhhr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R-39517, 2014 Mazda 6
Country flag
This really sucks to hear. I bought my Civic there and was thinking of having them do some fluid changes. I still haven't established a consistent and reputable network here in Phoenix. The type that you can drop the car off at, and not have to question the work that was done. In Los Angeles I had a go-to for anything that I needed for things I didn't want to do myself.

I'm thinking of going to SOS for my car stuff since they are very well known in NSX and S2000 world.

PS: If anyone has a list of race shops and off road shops in Phoenix send them my way. If you're from SoCal you know all about West End and Chewerks for suspension setup/alignment. I'm looking for that in Arizona.
West End Alignment or Johnson’s Alignment if your in SoCal. ??
Sponsored