How do you guys deal with car bucking with Rev Hang disabled?

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I’m pretty sure they’re referring to the jerk that occurs when you lift off in gear at a higher rpm, say 3500+ in 3rd or 4th gear, and then try to accelerate again. It’s like the car takes a second to realize you want to accelerate and then bucks as a result. It’s especially bad in the 2020’s, and I’ve found no solution other than to re-enable rev hang.
Sponsored

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
I just enable rev hang. If the car is constantly jerking with zero throttle input in 1st or 2nd gear coasting at 3-5 mph while rev hang is disabled, then there’s something wrong with the transmission. The bearings are bad. I always thought it was the rev hang that caused it but wasn’t. I had very bad jerkiness when the transmission was bad when disabling rev hang. After the replacement, a lot of it was reduced

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
The problem he is having is not clutch or driver related. There is a bucking when going at a speed where your in and out of very light throttle situations. I live in a neighborhood where the speed limit is 20 and cruising at 20mph in 2nd where you are going from zero to partial throttle the bucking is horrible. No the answer isn't ride the clutch for a mile, throttle padding doesn't help hardly at all. With rev hang disabled it just happens. Only other fix is move up a gear where you have to have more deliberate throttle inputs.

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The problem he is having is not clutch or driver related. There is a bucking when going at a speed where your in and out of very light throttle situations. I live in a neighborhood where the speed limit is 20 and cruising at 20mph in 2nd where you are going from zero to partial throttle the bucking is horrible. No the answer isn't ride the clutch for a mile, throttle padding doesn't help hardly at all. With rev hang disabled it just happens. Only other fix is move up a gear where you have to have more deliberate throttle inputs.

I disagree. This can be completely solved by proper driving. I'm in a similar situation. I ride the clutch through my neighborhoods just a little to get zero bucking. On track to get 40k miles out of my fx400 which is quite good for such an aggressive clutch material on the civic. This includes a few track days and constant rev-matching and downshifting for nearly every stop. I do the same for pretty much any manual car as well, as this problem is not exactly vehicle specific. My s2k suffers from a similar bucking. S2k clutch holding up strong as well, but in all honestly I haven't looked at it since I replaced it. Especially with girls or other passengers in the car, it would be embarrassing to have the car shake like that, I'd rather take a few thousand miles off the clutch and replace a month earlier than a have to go through to that :)

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
No proper driving is going to help the delay in throttle with the rev hang off. My 20' Si with rev hang off was terrible and i'm almost certain that it was a Ktuner bug exclusively with the 2020's but I don't recall exactly. Rev hang off you could go from 1st to 2nd and have your foot on the throttle with nothing happen.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I disagree. This can be completely solved by proper driving.
That is not "solving" the issue. That's like riding the brakes because your car idles at 3 grand. You're using a band aid instead if fixing the actual problem.

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is not "solving" the issue. That's like riding the brakes because your car idles at 3 grand. You're using a band aid instead if fixing the actual problem.
I don't see that as an issue. I don't get your analogy. If you have a high idle, why would you need to break?

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I don't see that as an issue. I don't get your analogy. If you have a high idle, why would you need to break?
Brake* not break. And never mind, you're not going to get it regardless.

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Brake* not break. And never mind, you're not going to get it regardless.
Alright, Im here to talk once youve grown up.

OP
OP
Tonycivicboi

Tonycivicboi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Guys please no fighting.

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm* you're*
Guys please no fighting.
Does anyone know what this guy might means by band-aid? This just seems like the reasonable thing to do, and what I tell anyone who drives stick to do in any car
What is peoples experience with lurching in MT cars. All hondas Ive driven and a miata have this lurching effect to some extent. Isnt it just an effect of a car quickly going into vaccum and thus engine braking?

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I’m going to agree with this. Going thru a parking lot or down my street where the speed limit is 25. Giving it just ENOUGH throttle to maintain speed but having to let off, completely because the speed is low. It does jerm and is annoying. I haven’t messed with throttle padding or made any adjustments, in part because I can manage it and that it took 3 try’s to get my car to flash the first time, I’m not looking for that headache again. The only engine mod I have is running TSP stage 1.
so I just either manage through just the clutch.