aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Honestly I had to go out to the car and just do it just to see what I do, I never gave it a thought on this car, it's far from the smallest thing i've had to get into in the past, try getting in a Miata with the top up, holy frack man, I was doing a stereo install on one of those and I had to just drop the top to do anything on it.
I almost got stuck in an S2000 at a car show a bunch of years back. I hopped in relatively easily but there wasn't a ton of room to open the door before it hit another car. As I was getting out the seat wouldn't move farther back and I couldn't get my legs bent enough to pivot and get out. I was a bit nervous for a minute but I made it.
Sponsored

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i am old and sore, so at 6 foot i put one foot in, put my butt against the seat back and slide down it into the bucket. then put my other leg in.
i'm starting to see wear on the material of the side bolster on the seat back from this.

there has to be a better way without buying a truck.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I kind of fall into mine also. I'm 6'2" and have a coupe. So if the (big) door can't open past the first stop (because of walls or parking mo-rons); it's a challenge sometimes.

phornea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Manual
Country flag
As funny/stupid of a question as it may seem, it can actually be a pretty serious topic, especially for those of us that are taller, or have back or joint pains. I'm 6'4" and for the majority of my life got into cars the way most ppl described it here; lean down with right leg in middle of floor, place butt in seat, then bring in left leg and done.
However, I've always had knee pains, especially when putting pressure on my legs at extreme angles. Using the above method, you are pretty much doing a one footed squat almost down to your heel (be it a supported squat with no wait) and this is extremely strenuous for me (especially in a car as low as the Civic). In combination with manual driving, this really gave me issues especially with my left knee.

So what I've started doing for quite a long time now, is going into the car head first, both hands on the seat, I then twist my body while still supporting my weight with the right hand and sit my butt down while also bringing my right leg in, all in one motion. I then bring in my left and done. I know going in head first looks funny as f*** from outside LOL. But this literally puts no strain at all on my knees, and I have no choice if I wanna sleep at night.
When getting out, both legs out first, then push off the seat and steering wheel.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I would be more interested to know how you guys get out of your civics. Unless I am not parked next to anything and am able to open it all the way, I am constantly scuffing the black door trim on my sedan with my white-edged shoes while getting out. Anyone else have this problem when only able to open their driver door part-way?

phornea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Manual
Country flag
I would be more interested to know how you guys get out of your civics. Unless I am not parked next to anything and am able to open it all the way, I am constantly scuffing the black door trim on my sedan with my white-edged shoes while getting out. Anyone else have this problem when only able to open their driver door part-way?
I've done it many times, but its not a typical problem. I mean, just pay more attention and bend ur legs and feet to avoid the door, thats it.

B3B31011

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Am 6ft and my trouble is getting out of the car, that’s really starting bother me about this car

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I’m a tiny Asian. I just walk in and sit down.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's funny reading all these because I thought I was the only one with an issue. The Si I never think about, the CTR with the high side bolsters complicates things. I did discover when I bought the CTR why there were weird scratched places on the bottom of my steering wheel. I thought maybe it was my rings or something. Strangely enough, it turned out to be my knife. The clip sticks on the outside of my pocket and I discovered getting into the CTR it scraped the steering wheel. Let me explain

Because of the high side bolsters, I have to go in at an angle and slide my right thigh between the steering wheel and side bolster, then kind of duck in and slide the rest of my through the same space. Because of the sliding motion and less space to slide in, I hit the steering wheel more consistently and maybe harder, so I noticed it.

I don't even think about getting out. I will have to try it when I'm home. Seems it's easier than getting in though.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm on the shorter side of the height chart (roughly 5' 8"), but I typically...
Get in with right foot in first, and drop into the middle of the seat at a slight angle, while left is on the ground.
Once the body is seated inside, bend the left foot, and bring it in (not to scratch the door, or side skirt).

Getting out, if the parking space for the left of me is empty, I open the door wider if possible.
Usually left foot out, bend, and push to get the rest of the body + right foot out...or...
Swing both feet out, lean, and get body out -- possible with the Sport Hatch seats thankfully (not might not be an option if I decide to swap the front seats).
Sponsored