How do you get into your Civic?

AlphaMoose67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic LX
Country flag
Alright, I know, silly question.

But I’m genuinely curious about how you guys/gals are getting into these cars, particularly those of you 6’ and over.

I’ve always owned trucks, so I’m used to climbing into those, not falling into a car, lol.

I’ve been putting one foot in and leaning towards the door as I dip/snake my upper half in, however it puts my back at a weird angle and it’s been kinda sore here recently.
Sponsored

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Your description of falling into the car is actually spot on, if you try to “climb” into these cars you will get back/neck problems from the low height. I put my right foot all the way in, tilt my torso away from the car and drop butt-first right into the seat. Kind of like a sideways crab walk except for sitting. Seriously stick out your butt and go in butt first (hinge at the hips) or else you will compensate for the height by curving your back/neck uncomfortably. I’m exactly 6’ so if you’re taller you may need to hinge/tilt more. I never really gave it much thought so forgive me if it’s not articulated well lol

HoldTheRice

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Your description of falling into the car is actually spot on, if you try to “climb” into these cars you will get back/neck problems from the low height. I put my right foot all the way in, tilt my torso away from the car and drop butt-first right into the seat. Kind of like a sideways crab walk except for sitting. Seriously stick out your butt and go in butt first (hinge at the hips) or else you will compensate for the height by curving your back/neck uncomfortably. I’m exactly 6’ so if you’re taller you may need to hinge/tilt more. I never really gave it much thought so forgive me if it’s not articulated well lol
I'm short and I still have to do this...interested in others methods also. :popcorn:

oberstja

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As I’m 6’4 myself, I usually come in at an angle when entering my car. One foot goes in then I angle the rest of my body. To get out I make sure both feet are out of the car before I stand up

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Hmm... I'll have to pay attention to getting in. Getting out I use the steering wheel as a handle to push off of... One foot out, one hand on the steering wheel, push up as my other foot gets out. My guess to what I do is open the door, one foot in as I use the console for my right hand, then butt down, then swing my other foot in, but I may have that wrong. I'm 6'3" or 4".

Donkeyhotay123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch
Country flag
really?

it ain't rocket science,

i open the door and sit down,
Well heck, I've been wire crawlin' through the hatchback, but this method is much better!

Honda Civic 10th gen How do you get into your Civic? sCGuLHD_d

As others have said. Just put my right foot in and fall into the seat.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I shouldn't be trying to slither through my open sunroof anymore. Or alternately, I sneak in through the trunk. There was that one time I tried the engine compartment, but that damn firewall...

Last edited:

Fathomless

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI / 2018 Honda Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
6ft + and gangly. I take it one leg at a time.

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
Wow, you're all barbarians? Open door, turn 180 degrees, sit down, swing legs in while pivoting your body. Keeps your back in a straight line. Probably looks stupid, though.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, you're all barbarians? Open door, turn 180 degrees, sit down, swing legs in while pivoting your body. Keeps your back in a straight line. Probably looks stupid, though.
That ain’t gonna work if you’re a dude with an R. The bolsters on those seats will make you sing soprano if you try to sit straight in and spin.

:popcorn:

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
6' tall, 240 pounds.

I walk up to the car grab the door handle with my left hand as my right hand grabs my key chain off my belt loop (so that I do not scratch the edge of the rear door with the keys), Right leg to middle of floor mat, pivot body to around 30-45 degree off the perpendicular to the car side, drop my backside toward the seat while my torso leans slightly forward, once ass is in the seat push off the ground with my left leg and rotate my body to swing into forward position, drop keys in the back spot of the dual cupholder, slide armrest forward, right foot is on the brake by now, reach up and hit the button to crank, right hand down to the parking brake to disengage then up to the shifter to put into drive.

Honestly I had to go out to the car and just do it just to see what I do, I never gave it a thought on this car, it's far from the smallest thing i've had to get into in the past, try getting in a Miata with the top up, holy frack man, I was doing a stereo install on one of those and I had to just drop the top to do anything on it.

this is my 3rd civic (95 then 90 then 2016) and my 5th honda (had 2 94 Accords, bought the second one to replace the first one I totaled when I came around a blind curve in the rain at 4 am to a downed tree in the road, swapped full leather interior from the first one into the second one that was cloth interior), I have also owned a 96 Tahoe that required a bit of climbing up into (stock height but had to use running boards as a step) and my current weekend car (my 03 Trailblazer) so I very much understand what you are talking about, this is definitely not a car for tall guys, I can hit the ceiling when sitting in the drivers seat so I don't know how people over 6' deal with driving it, guy a 6'4" above must drive with his head tilted.
Sponsored