How do you feel about the steering?

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
3-4 times easier than my 2011 Tacoma 4x4.

Feels like butter,i like it
Sponsored

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
put me down for hard to maintain lane control on the freeway. test drove a hatch cvt today and while parked it had an entirely different feel vs my 2.0 6spd. drifting in the lane on the freeway seems to be totally random as you never know when you find yourself to close to the line and need to correct. this is while paying the utmost attention.

mkco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Gotta comment on this one! The steering was the very first thing that impressed me about the Civic coupe when I test drove it. it feels tight, precise and the turn-in is right-now, Very maneuverable car and I love that!

This is in contrast to a previous gen Civic Si I test drove a couple of years ago. I loved the drivetrain but the steering seemed 'on delay"..totally unacceptable for a so-called 'sporty" car.

I'm coming to this car from a BMW 4-series and -- believe it or not -- I think the steering on my new coupe is better. It's actually a more fun car to drive and I think the steering is key to that. Honda did a great job on this car!

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
It is pretty good for an electric setup. Not as good as a well-done hydraulic system. I have yet to drive a car with EPS that is quite as good as a high quality car with hydraulic steering.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
does it require maintenance? looks expensive to replace.

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
The steering is pretty darn good for a street car. Just the right amount of assist in most driving situations IMO. The suspension is very responsive given the relatively cheap tires they put on these cars. It is electric steering though so steering feel isn't perfect, but that applies to all electric steering setups even my S2000. Variable assist on the steering box is a nice feature as it attempts to provide perfect assist levels for different driving situations. Overall it scores pretty high, it feels like a very high end steering system, much like what you would expect from a BMW, sporty and high quality performance, no complaints from me. These systems can be expensive to replace, you don't really repair them when they eventually die out, other than replacing torque sensors which tend to be the first parts to fail. But in short order you will be able to find them as used parts from junkyards and parted-out write-offs, like I've done for my S2000 as you don't want to buy these things brand new if at all possible.

Last edited:

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Steering is nice and firm. Really quick and responsive. Give the steering wheel a quick tug and the whole car moves without any delay. As for road feel, I wouldn't say its as good as an older hydraulic system. All you feel are false vibrations that are just sent through the computer. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing though. When you're driving the car normally, the steering feels really smooth.

Compare the steering to the competition and I'd say Honda did a fantastic job. The steering on the Corolla was so numb and light. The steering on the Mazda3 however, felt really tight and tingly.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
you can tweak it cheap with tire psi., I like right around 34..plenty quick and a little more correcting on the I but it handles nice back on the 2 lane county road I do twice a week 21mi. each way pretty much all to myself and the sherriff.

Olmsteez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EXT Hatch
Country flag
So, I am at the dealer for the first service. For kicks, took a coupe out for a spin. I don't know if it's the tires or suspension setup or both, but man did the steering feel so much better. Tighter, better road feel. The sedan doesn't feel bad, but the coupe is something special.
I drove the hatch and 4-door sedan back to back and noticed the same thing. They actually drive like two different very cars in the corners. The sedan has significantly more body roll. Our salespersons hadn't noticed but then spent a few minutes clicking around found mention in the promotional material that the hatch has sport springs and struts/shocks. I'm guessing the coupe got the same treatment as the hatch.
Sponsored