How do you deal with difficult lane merges and stop sign crossings?

OP
OP

Sev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring 1.5T Sedan 2020 - Race Chip RS
Country flag
I did some 0-60 tests on Sport mode automatic and it remained stationary on 6000 rpm during that time. A few days later, my car would change the fake gears upon reaching high revs. I was doing the same thing in both scenarios. I wonder what caused things to be different.
Sponsored

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
I did some 0-60 tests on Sport mode automatic and it remained stationary on 6000 rpm during that time. A few days later, my car would change the fake gears upon reaching high revs. I was doing the same thing in both scenarios. I wonder what caused things to be different.
Have you tried turning traction control off? It can make the gas pedal a little on the unpredictable side depending on current steering input and amount of throttle applied. With it off, you should have the best bet of getting good acceleration provided your foot can compensate :)

MDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport 1.5 CVT
Country flag
I noticed when I'm driving in the highway that sometimes my car will simulate gears and sometimes it won't. This seems at random. Any idea?
Oh yes, this CVT is programmed in a strange way resulting in unpredicted behavior when driving aggressively and even more so when accelerating suddenly. Paddle shifters do solve this problem when used properly.

MDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport 1.5 CVT
Country flag
Honda has programmed the transmission to simulate gear changes. It's most noticeable when your WOT and really pushing it.
Yes, I hate it, it's all done to get the familiar soundtrack of MT at the cost of actual performance.

OP
OP

Sev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh yes, this CVT is programmed in a strange way resulting in unpredicted behavior when driving aggressively and even more so when accelerating suddenly. Paddle shifters do solve this problem when used properly.
I find it amazing how obscure this is. I have looked it up on Google and couldn't find a single comment on this matter. Thought I was the one going crazy.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I find it amazing how obscure this is. I have looked it up on Google and couldn't find a single comment on this matter. Thought I was the one going crazy.
Lol. Definitely not obscure.

The CVT lag going from light to heavy throttle (in combination with some turbo lag) has been discussed ad nauseum over the years here at CivicX. As well as the fact that some KTuner tune tweaks help lessen the hesitation in day to day driving.

Here's one such topic from 2017.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/my-biggest-beef-with-the-cvt.16649/

Last edited:

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Sounds like more of an issue with the transmission than the engine.
#manuals4lyfe :drive:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Traffic in Brazil can't be worse than in China. Google "chinese traffic images" and appreciate how empty are the streets in Brazil. :bump:In China, if you don't push your way, you will never get anywhere. You could wait at a stop sign forever, waiting for a gap in a continuous river of cars. You don't need a Ferrari, it's just wrong thinking. Even people driving very underpowered, overloaded, slow vehicles still get where they need to go. They just signal, or not, beep if needed, and just push through or inch in slowly, so that the others are forced to slow down or stop.
With a stock 1.5L and its reaction as it is, I still feel like I'm faster than most in traffic. I could drive a 50 hp car and still wouldn't feel these sort of issues. It's just the way of driving in heavy traffic.

Yep. I lived in many towns in America. LA, Sao Paulo, San Jose (Costa Rica), and my hometown.

Interestingly enough, the roads here are not the worst I have dealt with, but people here, specifically in my hometown, are peculiar. They are not exactly uneducated, they just never feel like you deserve to merge in front of them. LOL
Well, people in China are not rude at all, in fact they are very nice, but they will not wait for you to merge, or care about what you deserve in traffic, until you make them (and it's mot much different, say, in New York City). They will certainly push in front of you whenever they can without asking for permission. No time for courtesy, but also they don't get offended every time when forced to slow down or stop. At least not in China. It seems like there should be accidents all the time, with apparent chaos, crowd, and pedestrians constantly running between cars. But most survive, and again, you don't need a supercar to move around. Motorcycle-based slow "trucks" are doing fine too.

Reactions: Sev
OP
OP

Sev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Traffic in Brazil can't be worse than in China. Google "chinese traffic images" and appreciate how empty are the streets in Brazil. :bump:In China, if you don't push your way, you will never get anywhere. You could wait at a stop sign forever, waiting for a gap in a continuous river of cars. You don't need a Ferrari, it's just wrong thinking. Even people driving very underpowered, overloaded, slow vehicles still get where they need to go. They just signal, or not, beep if needed, and just push through or inch in slowly, so that the others are forced to slow down or stop.
With a stock 1.5L and its reaction as it is, I still feel like I'm faster than most in traffic. I could drive a 50 hp car and still wouldn't feel these sort of issues. It's just the way of driving in heavy traffic.

Well, people in China are not rude at all, in fact they are very nice, but they will not wait for you to merge, or care about what you deserve in traffic, until you make them (and it's mot much different, say, in New York City). They will certainly push in front of you whenever they can without asking for permission. No time for courtesy, but also they don't get offended every time when forced to slow down or stop. At least not in China. It seems like there should be accidents all the time, with apparent chaos, crowd, and pedestrians constantly running between cars. But most survive, and again, you don't need a supercar to move around. Motorcycle-based slow "trucks" are doing fine too.
It's not so much about "there is no way". It's more about "how do you deal with this and that car weaknesses"?

rnewman19

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have this feeling the 1.5T is not so great in two very specific, but also extremely common scenarios: traffic jams and stop signs.

Imagine you want to change lanes and you want to be quick from the moment you intend to move, because a small window of opportunity just surged. You have to be quick. Otherwise the dude behind on the lane you want to merge to will fill the space before you do. Or else, even more common: you want to cross a stop sign in a busy day and you have to assess your car's capacity of safely doing so. The 1.5 T will let you down a little bit in these two situations for two simple reasons:

1 - The drive-by-wire system on the 1.5T has a very annoying delay. Sometimes it feels like the gas pedal doesn't seem to answer your requests with a decent response time. It feels kinda lazy. That can be partially mitigated by a Sprint Booster or something of the kind, tho. I installed one and I really recommend it.

2 - By the time the turbo kicks in, you have already crossed the road / reached your desired lane merging. It feels a bit clumsy, because you were about to stop when the turbo kicked in. To add to that turbo "incontinence", you also had to count only on your 1.5 liters to do all the heavy lifting.

But beside these two cases, I can't think of any other scenarios where the 2.0 trumps the 1.5T.
If you load K-Tuner an apply the Dual 21 PSI tune and then go to the Idle setting and set it as aggressively as possible, and dial the Turbo lag down, it helps a whole lot. I still have to be careful but it is so much better.

the_dEWD

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Oh. You clearly never drove in a savage traffic like the ones I'm used to. Hahaha

I get it, tho. I have lived a couple years in the U.S. and driving there is surely much less stressing and insane.
Coming from a NJ Driver, if you have the gap take it. If someone rear-ends you, they're at fault. xD

davidc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda S2000
Country flag
Wow....I had to laugh at this post. Obviously you never lived in the time of less than 100hp cars of the 1980's and 1990's.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I would have called you a wuss until I saw you live in Brazil. I've driven, just on vacation, in Costa Rica and the pictures you show are pretty similar. People will fill any gap at any time, or go around, or do basically anything to get where they need to go (motorcycles passing semi-trucks on the right median next to cliffs was the craziest). I didn't mind too much as I'm a pretty aggressive driver when I need to be but it was a relief coming back to the US where I understood traffic better and could read the signs.
Sponsored