How do you avoid doing this to your paint?

FastEddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Civic (RIP), 2015 Corvette
Classic UV fade. It was starting on my '93 civic which I garaged since I got it, but wasn't this bad. The best defense against that is garaging and not parking in the sun all day.

Weekly care on a new car involves 2 bucket wash with decent microfibers and with a decent carwash soap like Maguires. Every six months or so (depending on the environment it's been through), clean the environmental stuff off of your paint by washing with the clear Dawn soap (strips everything: grease, existing products), clay bar the car using a bar and a good lubricant, then apply a gentle polish, and then a paint sealant. If you need detailed instructions on these steps (which are meant to save you time and give you the best look), let me know.
Sponsored

AgVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
I wouldn't mind a bit more info Eddie. Any particular products you recommend for the above steps, like brand of polish or sealant?

FastEddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Civic (RIP), 2015 Corvette
I wouldn't mind a bit more info Eddie. Any particular products you recommend for the above steps, like brand of polish or sealant?
Here's all of that info from a friendly guy in FL who helps people keep their 'vettes looking crystal clear. I've used this method on my own vette and now on my Si and it's the best method to keep it looking great at the least amount of time. It's wordy, but read it all. I learned a bunch about car care in this. This is a zip from my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zjchoji6hjburr/glens_car_care.zip?dl=0

WhiteCivicSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si
Country flag
Yup clear coat failure. The 2007 Civic I had was plagued with that issue so many on the road having that problem. I tried to wax mine at the time at least every other month. 2 years later it was definitely fading on the roof but never oxidized. The hood on the other hand had crows feet within a year of owning it and was repainted twice under warranty.

They stay this issue was fixed a couple years ago, but if you don't properly take care of your vehicle and live in a hot climate like Florida, Texas or Arizona. Be prepared.
My 2009 Si had the same problem. The 8th gen civic was notorious for it. The clear coat was cheap, not done properly or whatever it was. Sometimes I'll see one drive by and notice still the same ol' issue with the roof paint and remember the horrible feeling of maintaining your car but the paint still slowly giving away.

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's pretty simple honestly, keep protection (wax, sealant, ceramic coating) on your car and wash it regularly and you won't have this issue. Neglect the finish of the vehicle and you will have issues.
Sponsored