How do you avoid doing this to your paint?

civicX_LACA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So I have noticed quite a few Hondas with the pain problem you can see in the image I posted. I had a Mazda for 12 years and the paint was perfect. I suspect that someone used a buffer incorrectly on the paint? I love my Civic and want to avoid this problem if possible.

Honda Civic 10th gen How do you avoid doing this to your paint? 36076054593_00736ec64e_z
[/url]HondaPaintProblems
Sponsored

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
So I have noticed quite a few Hondas with the pain problem you can see in the image I posted. I had a Mazda for 12 years and the paint was perfect. I suspect that someone used a buffer incorrectly on the paint? I love my Civic and want to avoid this problem if possible.

36076054593_00736ec64e_z.jpg
[/url]HondaPaintProblems
Some mid 90's/early 2000 Hondas seem to be suscepticle to this is exact pattern of paint destruction. I've seen this alot and don't know what causes it. I have a 2000 Coupe (Milano Red) and aside from the random rock or door ding, the paint has has held up 100%. I'm in FL, so similar weather with some more rain.

I know that really doesn't answer your question, but it's my free anecdotal observation FWIW.

Rizzo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2005 Civic Coupe
That looks like clear coat failure. Maintaining your cars paint and clear coat with regular washing and using some kind of protection on it (wax, polymer sealant or ceramic coating) should keep that from occurring.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Yeah, definitely clear coat failure. Must seal and wax your car's paint to keep that from happening.

cp1313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 touring coupe
Clearcoat delamination is a result of mfgs using cheap clearcoats. No amount of wax or sealers can prevent delamination. Hopefully, Honda has fixed this by using a quality clearcoat.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup clear coat failure. The 2007 Civic I had was plagued with that issue so many on the road having that problem. I tried to wax mine at the time at least every other month. 2 years later it was definitely fading on the roof but never oxidized. The hood on the other hand had crows feet within a year of owning it and was repainted twice under warranty.

They stay this issue was fixed a couple years ago, but if you don't properly take care of your vehicle and live in a hot climate like Florida, Texas or Arizona. Be prepared.

Prelude2CivicX

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6 Speed M/T, 2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport, 1997 Lexus SC300
Country flag
This is what happens when you wash you car with dish soap or harsh soaps that strip off your clear coat.

cp1313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 touring coupe
This is what happens when you wash you car with dish soap or harsh soaps that strip off your clear coat.
False.

Using harsh detergents are definitely not good for clearcoats, this chalking and delamination is a result of the mfg's using a cheap clearcoat with little or no UV protection.. No soap can degrade or strip a catalyzed clearcoat.

Nothing, no product or prayers can prevent this from happening to cheap clearcoats. Nothing.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
False.

Using harsh detergents are definitely not good for clearcoats, this chalking and delamination is a result of the mfg's using a cheap clearcoat with little or no UV protection.. No soap can degrade or strip a catalyzed clearcoat.

Nothing, no product or prayers can prevent this from happening to cheap clearcoats. Nothing.
Then all accords of that age should have that happening. But they don't. I still think it has to do how well the paint is taken care of.

Rizzo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2005 Civic Coupe
False.

Let's say you apply and maintain a ceramic coating over a faulty clearcoat that has not yet begun to degrade. Since the clearcoat is now protected due to the coating, will it still end up like the photo in the original post?

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let's say you apply and maintain a ceramic coating over a faulty clearcoat that has not yet begun to degrade. Since the clearcoat is now protected due to the coating, will it still end up like the photo in the original post?
If you clearcoat is already failing there is nothing you can put on it that will correct the issue. Once failure has begun there is no reversing the process, unless you respray the car. Many cars from many different brands had these issues during these years. With proper cleaning and regular maintenance of your vehicle and it will never look like this.

kidcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There were a number of colors for hondas from i believe 05-07 or so that had recalls for bad paint that resulted in the clear coats ending up like that - there was a window where owners could get it repainted for free - my sister BF had one that missed the productions date by a month - his clear coat is just about gone and they wouldnt fix it because he didnt make the cut off

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
Everytime it rains enough that I can see the beads on the roof (important cause that is your clear-coat and wax doing what it does), I remove the water by wiping the car's clearcoat off with a simple linen type cloth so it is atleast 90% dry, especially if it is late and I won't be using the car for the day. I think this is crucial cause getting rid of "standing water on your paint surface" helps the clear coat last longer, doh, self-explanatory. If you do not employ this tactic, I would add it to your repertoire.
Sponsored