How do I go about getting my civic tuned for more HP?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Seth - I wasn't saying you absolutely shouldn't tune. It was just that you said you kind of drive like an asshole and there is a definite correlation between asshole-y driving and a higher chance of failure. 😆

Look man, tuning is far and away the most cost effective way to improve the fun factor. But there is some risk. The other thing I don't like regarding you tuning is you say you drive like a maniac AND you have a two mile commute. Truth is your car barely would be up to normal operating temps after two miles and constantly driving hard while cold is a big no no.
Sponsored

Last edited:

theblackdogman

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I have a 2019 Hatchback sport and have been tuned (TSP 1 Map 3) since 1,000 miles (now at 53k) and have no other mods. I drive aggressively, however, all of my pulls are from 15+ mph. Everything has been perfect. It was @gtman posts that convinced me to do it. Just don't play stupid games and you won't win stupid prizes.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah a rolling pull is definitely less stress and it's that extra stress over time that can cause more failures. How many times have we read a tuned guy saying something like "I was at Burger King's drive thru, pulled my car up to pay, and my engine blew". But he forgot to mention he constantly drag raced stoplight to stoplight for the two years he was tuned on an ethanol custom.

To anyone interested in tuning, I think my summary in the tuning thread tells you what you need to know.
There is no doubt that a tune is the single best power-based performance modification. Having said that, tuning does add additional stress so be mindful of that. Long term reliability can be compromised if you tune for ultimate power on stock internals or abuse your ride. Do proper and timely maintenance, use common sense and your tuning experience should go well.

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
So don't floor it from a light? Sorry newb not sure what high torque low rpm pulls are.

I'm just happy to have gtman consider tuning might not be best for me considering he is the advocate of tuning.

I punch it at lights that's why I get low 20s. I can get high 30 mpg on long trips but most my driving is city/neighborhood. My current job is like 2 miles away.
What i mean by that is say you are driving in 3rd or 4th gear at like 2000 rpms and you see a yellow light so you step on the gas (without downshifting) that is high load low rpms

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah a rolling pull is definitely less stress and it's that extra stress over time that can cause more failures. How many times have we read a tuned guy saying something like "I was at Burger King's drive thru, pulled my car up to pay, and my engine blew". But he forgot to mention he constantly drag raced stoplight to stoplight for the two years he was tuned on an ethanol custom.
I found this hilarious. 😅 It's so true though.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
What i mean by that is say you are driving in 3rd or 4th gear at like 2000 rpms and you see a yellow light so you step on the gas (without downshifting) that is high load low rpms
Ah yea. I don't do that hardly ever. I'll want to down shift to 3k rpm least. Car still pulls good a little above 2k but I don't put myself in low rpm pulls that much. Usually I'm shifting before 5k which brings it down to 2.5k or so then hit it again. Rev hang on stock isn't that bad if you shift around 4.5-5k.

When first drove car I tried to drive it like a NA and do high revs. I believe it wasn't till a YouTube track video that I saw best time to shift is around 4.5-5k to reduce rev hang.
Sponsored