How did you/do you like the factory Si power and performance? Opinions!

OP
OP
Dy2_Str33t_King

Dy2_Str33t_King

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White Civic Si Sedan
I understand the break in period and respect it. It's the people that test drive cars before you own them that scare me. My dealership took me out in a 17 Si when they first came out and we drove it for an hour, he ripped ass all over the backroads. Redlined it, showed me how fast is stopped 70-0 and just drove the balls off of it. He's like, if you want one, we can get you one. I was like yeah, cause I'm def not buying this one. My point is it's probably rare to buy a new car that hasn't been ran hard at least once in its break in period unless you order one and have it made for you from the production plant. But those couple mid range pulls are all I'm doing. At 400 miles now and plan to keep it slow until the 1000 mile mark.

As far as the K&N filter. A ton of people saying it gives the car a deeper growl or however they word it, well I haven't noticed a difference at all. Really wasn't looking too so I'm not disappointed at all. Did it because it supposedly flows better and improves fuel savings and at $50, its a cheap part to at least try.

Maybe I just bite the bullet and upgrade the clutch and do the Ktuner because I don't know how long I can drive like Ms.Daisy......
Sponsored

TheRealWizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe / 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Country flag
Coming from my 2004 pontiac grand prix this car was like a rocket when i finally got through the break in period and started to rip it. Now it seems vey tame and im ready to upgrade it. Sadly its away for winter so maybe it will feel like a rocket again when I get it back out lol.

jeremiah

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe, 1999 Lexus Gs300
More power is always nice but I feel the horsepower/torque is more than adequate for street use.
It would have been nice at 220-230 hp with additional torque to accompany.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Coming from my 2004 pontiac grand prix this car was like a rocket when i finally got through the break in period and started to rip it. Now it seems vey tame and im ready to upgrade it. Sadly its away for winter so maybe it will feel like a rocket again when I get it back out lol.
I agree. I have a winter beater as well, and when the weather is tolerable, I take the Si out. It feels like a monster compared to my 96 Accord.

More power is always nice but I feel the horsepower/torque is more than adequate for street use.
It would have been nice at 220-230 hp with additional torque to accompany.
With a few reasonable bolt ons, or a stage 1 tune, you are at 220-230 hp.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I feel like these turbo 1.5s need a good break in period before then really start to have decent power. My friend has a 1.5 sport and the thing didn't feel faster then my 2.0 when he first got it. Now he has 3000km and the thing feels noticeably faster then my 2.0. In his case it was night and day.

Monocacy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
. . . Thinking the 87 octane has something to do with the lack of umph.
Probably right. You may decide you want more power, but at least try a tank or two of 91 or 93 octane fuel and get through the break-in period. You have a brand-new car, so you might as well give it a fair shake.

To answer your original question, the bone stock Si has plenty of power for me but I am coming from a lower-powered car. The real question is whether it has enough power for you, but you may need a more thorough test to answer that question.

I wouldn't judge it until you put 91 octane gas or better.
^^^ This

I feel on stock it'll only really wake up after 3500 rpm, though 2500+ is where the turbo kicks in.
^^^ This matches my experience.

OP
OP
Dy2_Str33t_King

Dy2_Str33t_King

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White Civic Si Sedan
Pretty sure I'll start modding this spring. Nothing crazy like my last build because a loud, vibrating and stiff riding daily gets old after 3 years. If I can add a few mods and keep the ride quality and quietness, that would be ideal. I just want it to be FUN and not sluggish.

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
Compared to my Focus ST with the ST2 package it's doesn't run as strong.
But it's so much more refined than the ST.
The ride and handling is better, the fuel mileage is better, interior design and comfort is better plus awesome styling.

It may be down on power but I'm very pleased with the Si.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
My point is it's probably rare to buy a new car that hasn't been ran hard at least once in its break in period unless you order one and have it made for you from the production plant.
I take it you didn't use the dealer locator on the website to track down a car in transit? Knowledge for the next trade-in I guess. :)

I came from a mildly modded 270 WHP MS3 (still own it). I prefer driving the Si 99% of the time. What it lacks in brute force it makes up for in the chassis and ergonomics. Keep babying that clutch to ensure it properly beds, and you can run up to 220-230 WTQ for a while.

I feel the powertrain is quite good stock. My only minor gripes are the rev hang at WOT and the lack of response from the 2-3 upshift. Those are gripes I can live with. But a tune will address both those issues.

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe / 2004 Ford Lightning
Country flag
If you guys want power, why not just get a Mustang GT or Camaro SS instead of dilly-dallying with a little 4-banger?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you guys want power, why not just get a Mustang GT or Camaro SS instead of dilly-dallying with a little 4-banger?
Because they don't come in a sedan for a family of 5, not to mention a higher cost. The Chevy SS, got love it, cost about 2x what a SI cost... and is dead now anyway. Had they had one in a MT w/in a couple hours drive of me, I would have taken a look. As good as it would have been, it, again, had a much higher inital cost, burns 1.5-2x tImes the fuel and it's suspension as great as it is, also cost more than even the active dampers in an SI to replace. Both the the fusion/taurus didn't interest me enough to get me into a Ford dealership. I'd already had good experience with my past Honda's. I've owned Ford and Chevy both and while they were certainly ok, I wasn't blown away by them.

The little 4-bangers go pretty well in their own right. The LS3 would have been a interesting experience, but it just wasn't to be. The closest thing I comparison shopped to what you're talking about was an R/T. It was ok... but kind of a boat. I'd had a Cadillac and it drove better, though it didn't have quite the power. Stepping from $30k to $40k to get the 6.4 instead of the 5.7 but not having the brakes/suspension/wheels of the SRT8 I didn't think is a good value. Again, to get under a 5 sec 0-60 you don't have the wheels wide enough for enough tires/brakes/suspension to support it well. We're still at nearly 2x the price point... and finding a Scat Pack new at just 40k not optioned up isn't very easy. The interior of the Charger isn't as good as the Honda either, IMO. I didn't like how it drove either. Only thing I miss in the comparison shopping is the vented seats.
Sponsored