How did you/do you like the factory Si power and performance? Opinions!

Dy2_Str33t_King

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White Civic Si Sedan
So I've had my Si a week today and I was wanting to get everyones opinions on what you think about the car bone stock. Is it good enough? Does it have enough power? Are you impressed? Any and all feedback welcomed.

Just a little bummed out as of right now and I know the car is stock but I just figured it would have a little more GO to it. The dealership filled the car up with 87 octane before I picked it up even though I told them make sure they used premium as that's what it is supposed to take but of course they didn't listen. So my car feels VERY sluggish and powerless before the turbo starts to spool. Once in boost it's OK but not a big jump in power. Thinking the 87 octane has something to do with the lack of umph. And my car only has 300 miles on it so I'm not beating on it but I have done 2-3 2nd gear pulls to see what the power is like, and not to redline, just to see the boost top out and what the pull is like.

Traded in my 2014 Supercharged Si that was at 320whp for this because it's more practical and a MUCH better car, but at this much loss of power its making me regret it. I know I can mod my 2018 BUT I really don't wanna do a clutch upgrade right off the bat. That being said, maybe I should have just bit the bullet on the price and payment of the 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T because this has me wanting so much more.

Let me know what you guys think. All opinions welcome
Honda Civic 10th gen How did you/do you like the factory Si power and performance? Opinions! 20170611_175111
Honda Civic 10th gen How did you/do you like the factory Si power and performance? Opinions! 20170611_175124
Honda Civic 10th gen How did you/do you like the factory Si power and performance? Opinions! 20170715_173625

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Put a K&N or equivalent air filter in it. It's only good for two to three HP but the engine "feels" like it wants to rev free-er with it. (probably good for another mile per gallon too). The engine will mature with time. I've got about 17000 miles on mine and I've noticed it mature with miles. The sound will become less "sewing machine" and a bit more growl-ly at around 12000 miles.

Your not going to get anywhere near the power you had without major modifications, though I think that the increase of mid-range torque will make up for some of it. Your going to get the most your engine is capable of for the next few months. Once the temperature gets above 65 degrees, the knock sensor will start pulling the timing back.

OP
OP
Dy2_Str33t_King

Dy2_Str33t_King

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White Civic Si Sedan
Put a K&N or equivalent air filter in it. It's only good for two to three HP but the engine "feels" like it wants to rev free-er with it. (probably good for another mile per gallon too). The engine will mature with time. I've got about 17000 miles on mine and I've noticed it mature with miles. The sound will become less "sewing machine" and a bit more growl-ly at around 12000 miles.

Your not going to get anywhere near the power you had without major modifications, though I think that the increase of mid-range torque will make up for some of it. Your going to get the most your engine is capable of for the next few months. Once the temperature gets above 65 degrees, the knock sensor will start pulling the timing back.
Yeah day 2 I added a K&N drop in filter for the extra mpg. My last car was between 16-18mpg in town on 1200CC injectors. The gas mileage is really nice so far in this new one.

58Ranger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
I think it's enough power for me, but I will also note that the engine does seem to get looser over time.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I'll be honest, I was the "I'll never drive another 4-cylinder" guy after having a Honda Pilot and a Jeep Wrangler for as long as I have. No power, especially when the A/C is on. Well, the Civic Si has changed that opinion. I'm quite impressed with the amount of power Honda has extracted from that little 1.5L engine. It has plenty of power and seems to accelerate effortlessly.

The only complaint, if you could even call it that, is the lack of low-end power if you catch the revs too low. As long as you keep the revs around 2500, you'll never have that problem.

I did install a CAI, however. That intake noise and the sound of the BOV was totally worth the money!

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll be honest, I was the "I'll never drive another 4-cylinder" guy after having a Honda Pilot and a Jeep Wrangler for as long as I have. No power, especially when the A/C is on. Well, the Civic Si has changed that opinion. I'm quite impressed with the amount of power Honda has extracted from that little 1.5L engine. It has plenty of power and seems to accelerate effortlessly.

The only complaint, if you could even call it that, is the lack of low-end power if you catch the revs too low. As long as you keep the revs around 2500, you'll never have that problem.

I did install a CAI, however. That intake noise and the sound of the BOV was totally worth the money!
Op, you obviously spent some money on your last Civic. Get the flex fuel kit and enjoy.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
If you went with Accord 2.0T you would still be complaining about turbo lag.
That's what happens when you flip between supercharged and turbocharged.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I think the car is great stock. However I believe the car stock with Ktuner gives it the balls it needed. Also if you want to mod and make more power, you will need to switch out the clutch. It’s the weak link.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think you’ll be happy with it once you get a tuner (Ktuner or FlashPro) and a clutch. Until then, enjoy the excellent MPG. It’s certainly not a bad car in stock form but like myself you came out of something with a lot more power.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
I wouldn't judge it until you put 91 octane gas or better. As for how I like the power plant... the engine and power has grown on me. I didn't like the weak feeling down low and I didn't like the power drop-off approaching redline, but I've learned I can drive it a certain way to maximize the engine's fun factor and output. I like keeping the engine right on that edge of instant throttle response and acceleration, around 2.5k. Once there, I try to keep it there. Ready to pounce on and dust phantom adversaries. Lol. And of course I shift well before redline, closer to 5k than 6.5k. The powerband may be a little narrow, but the feeling of acceleration in that range is very enjoyable and very easy to keep there. All that said, It's a potent engine with lots of potential. It should cost you a lot less to make similar power gains as your 9th gen Si. I say drive it a few months longer, than decide. You've already taken the biggest depreciation hit anyway. In 3 months, maybe 3k miles on the odo, the value will be almost identical as it is today but you'll have a better feel if its something you like enough to keep.

Oh and btw, from what I've read and heard from other members as well as the 2 test drives I had with the 9th gen Si, the weakling feeling down low is the same in all previous Si's, except unlike those previous Si's, you have real power in the mid-range area.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Coming from a stock 9th gen SI, I think the 10th SI feels substantially quicker, thanks to the extra torque.

I have a PRL stage 1 intake and a Ktuner I bought the day after Thanksgiving. Ive been busy with work and was out if town last week, but even though I did have some time, I never put the intake or did the reflash yet. I don't think the cars really needs anything more... but a little more would be nice. It's been colder here lately so that has made it accelerate noticably better. I do think on a hot summer day, it might kind of be a dog in it's stock form... but that's not uncommon with FI cars, even with a decent IC... you can't make your IAT less than ambient.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
So I've had my Si a week today and I was wanting to get everyones opinions on what you think about the car bone stock. Is it good enough? Does it have enough power? Are you impressed? Any and all feedback welcomed.

Just a little bummed out as of right now and I know the car is stock but I just figured it would have a little more GO to it. The dealership filled the car up with 87 octane before I picked it up even though I told them make sure they used premium as that's what it is supposed to take but of course they didn't listen. So my car feels VERY sluggish and powerless before the turbo starts to spool. Once in boost it's OK but not a big jump in power. Thinking the 87 octane has something to do with the lack of umph. And my car only has 300 miles on it so I'm not beating on it but I have done 2-3 2nd gear pulls to see what the power is like, and not to redline, just to see the boost top out and what the pull is like.

Traded in my 2014 Supercharged Si that was at 320whp for this because it's more practical and a MUCH better car, but at this much loss of power its making me regret it. I know I can mod my 2018 BUT I really don't wanna do a clutch upgrade right off the bat. That being said, maybe I should have just bit the bullet on the price and payment of the 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T because this has me wanting so much more.

20170611_175111.jpg
20170611_175124.jpg
20170715_173625.jpg
With respect, I think that you've set yourself up for disappointment. You're comparing a stock car with 195 - 205 whp to a fully modded, supercharged car with 300+ whp. Factory turbo or no, this is nowhere near apples to apples. Current full bolt ons put the 10th gen SI at just shy of 300 whp on 93 octane. To get a true comparison, you would need to compare your supercharged 9th to a full bolt on 10th.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag

20170611_175111.jpg
20170611_175124.jpg
20170715_173625.jpg
(1) According to Honda, you should avoid full-throttle acceleration during the first 600 miles.

Honda Civic 10th gen How did you/do you like the factory Si power and performance? Opinions! Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 06.48.17

(2) Stock-for-stock, the Accord is heavier, the steering and handling aren't as sharp, and you lose the LSD and adaptive dampers. The Accord will accelerate slightly (very slightly) faster in a straight line, but the Civic Si will corner and stop faster and has a higher top speed (137 MPH vs. the Accord's 125 MPH). The Si is only 0.2 seconds slower to 60 and 0.1 second slower in the 1/4-mile than the Accord - that could be a driver's race. A Civic Si ($25,190) with a modest and safe +3 PSI tune ($695) will outrun the Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT ($31,200) in every situation and you'll still be $5,315 ahead. If it's performance you're after, the Civic is a better choice than the Accord despite the latter having a version of the coveted Type R engine. The Accord Sport is simply not designed to compete with the Civic Si. One of the few metrics where the Accord is noticeably faster than the Civic is during top-gear passing situations due to the extra torque of the larger engine. How often do you pass without downshifting, though?

Furthermore, the Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT is somewhat of a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. At it's core, it's a family sedan. It's not intended for track duty. The 2.0T engine is positioned as a replacement for a V6. The suspension is tuned for comfort, not performance. So, the Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT is really aimed towards a family who would typically buy a V6 and prefers to shift for themselves (a very rare buyer). About the only thing "Sport" on the Accord Sport is the name. There's really no unique performance parts to speak of whereas the Civic Si has dozens of different mechanical bits to improve its performance over the regular Civic.

Honda Civic 10th gen How did you/do you like the factory Si power and performance? Opinions! Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 06.53.00

Honda Civic 10th gen How did you/do you like the factory Si power and performance? Opinions! Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 06.54.21

Put a K&N or equivalent air filter in it. It's only good for two to three HP but the engine "feels" like it wants to rev free-er with it. (probably good for another mile per gallon too).
If a K&N or equivalent air filter would add 2-3 HP or a another MPG, Honda would have put one in it from the factory. Another MPG is a HUGE deal for an automaker. The reality is that the paper filter that comes with the car is capable of flowing more air than the stock engine can ingest under all operating conditions including wide-open throttle at redline.

Last edited:

kakazsh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel on stock it'll only really wake up after 3500 rpm, though 2500+ is where the turbo kicks in. Also the throttle response and padding is very daily drive friendly. Meaning sudden lift or press won't be too jerky.
After getting the Ktuner with VitTuned stage 1, it wakes up right where the turbo kicks in. The throttle response is more "mechanical", not much artificially induced lag or padding.

Probably because the stock targets lower pressure at lower rpm and maxed out at 17ish PSI. But the tune will always target at 19, 23, 25 or whatever value you set at.

A tune definite gives the car a different personality.

Speeder92

Blue Dream
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have to agree with the op i was very disappointed with the car at first, even coming from an older Mazda 6 that was much more sluggish.. I expected more power. That was untill recently.. I almost am at 1k miles on the car and it is finally coming alive as I had hoped. Not sure it's because it got all of the regular gas out of its system from the dealership or what, but these past few days i have felt a big difference and it has been a lot of fun to drive. While it's still rewarding with great mpgs at cruising
Sponsored