How crazy am i ... 2.0 to 1.5t swap + big turbo kit

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only get the Si 1.5 motor if you are going to do it, or change the rods out as the lower trim motor's rods can't handle much power.
Sponsored

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Ummm....gonna need a WHOLE lot more than an engine swap and turbo kit. Rethink your plan.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
if you are going for that distance, save up more and get a R32 GTR. They are legal now.

or get a cheap miata then LS swap it #youarewelcome

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In reality, you are going to spend about half as much on parts as just trading into a car with the motor you want. Gonna need engine, trans, exhaust, wiring harness(es), axles, probably cooling since it's turbo, ECU, etc.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
I agree with the other posters; swapping motors makes no sense at all. Huge waste of effort/cash, when OEM 1.5T Civics are so readily available.

However: some people throw logic to the wind when it comes to modding. They don't stop to ask themselves if a mod/upgrade makes sense per se...rather, they see it as a challenge, and enjoy putting in the time/effort/money to make it work. Successfully completing the mod is a reward unto itself. If that's OP's motivation - I can respect that. Hell, I say go for it.

nox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic EX-T
Country flag
wow, the guy has no clue how many parts and how much work is really needed for the swap

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
all these comments and no one has even brought up the computer aspect of this whole swap, I highly doubt eh ECM for the 2.0 would work for the 1.5t so that has to go but many of these modern cars program the VIN of the car into the computer and if that VIN doesn't match other systems in the car that could create a headache, like how I know in Chevy's if you have to replace your radio (this happened in my moms 2014? Sonic, she got a replacement from a junkyard and then had to pay a dealership to wipe the VIN from the radio because the VIN didn't match the VIN in the ECM), it's not the 90's anymore, these computers are all interconnected these days and swapping things is asking for trouble.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I have a 2.0 manual that has roughly 60k on the clock, i adore this car and i've always wanted to turbo it. Turboing this 2.0 would be a nightmare as seen on the other threads. I work in a shop and have access to tools/lifts/technicians, how difficult would it be ( labor wise ) to purchase a 1.5t engine ($1200 or so ) and buy a PRL turbo kit ( $2500 or so ) and to swap the engine for this build ...... thoughts?
Hello. First of all, this is a very lite forum. People around the world do all kinds of interesting modding. It's just a question of a parts list. The guy with more knowledge is Emmanuel at naperformanceftw.com . But remember that all these cars are fairly new and I haven't seen any crazy engine transplants yet mainly because people consider the cars to be worth more than $10k. I was actually considering swapping my 1.5 for a 2.0 even though I would lose the turbo. I am still paying the bank note and my friend told me it's not allowed. So, then I decided I would only do it if I blew the motor or it started smoking from age. If I were you I would shoot for a bigger or equal displacement motor and why not just add turbo to your 2.0 or find a type R one? If you go to auctions and buy the whole car, the 1.5T complete car will possess all the parts you would ever need and all the parts would be in their respective places. It shouldn't be too hard to find a totaled Civic with 1.5 for cheap!

xile6

First Name
jermaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si, 05 scion tc turbo , 98 honda civic turbo
Country flag
Turbo the 2.0??

That would he easier.

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
I have a 2.0 manual that has roughly 60k on the clock, i adore this car and i've always wanted to turbo it. Turboing this 2.0 would be a nightmare as seen on the other threads. I work in a shop and have access to tools/lifts/technicians, how difficult would it be ( labor wise ) to purchase a 1.5t engine ($1200 or so ) and buy a PRL turbo kit ( $2500 or so ) and to swap the engine for this build ...... thoughts?
It's not as simple as simply hot-swapping an engine... especially if whatever vehicle you have was never offered with a 1.5L engine.
  • One of the main issues is data - the PCM [ECU] would have to be compatible with the engine and also be compatible with the BCM [multiplex fuse box - interior] since both send varying data protocols back and forth to each other (Serial, CANBUS variants, etc.), in addition to any normal voltage communications.
  • Engine harnesses would have to be replaced, and if the vehicle was never offered with a 1.5L, it's likely plugs aren't going to match the vehicle's plugs and connectors, which means pinouts would be required and substantial testing would need to be performed to ensure the voltages and data passing are what they're supposed to be.
  • Will hardware bolt-on to the new engine correctly (Alternator, P/S, possibly A/C, etc.)
  • Are the vehicle's current hardware components rated for the forces they'll be exposed to with a turbo, especially the half-shafts and engine & transmission mounts.
Additional considerations:
  • You'll want to get used to the new center of gravity and weight distribution after the swap, else results could be disastrous when hammering on it.
  • Be prepared to buy the correct tires - performance summer tires for the summer (~$200 - $325/tire depending on brand and rubber qualities) and quality winter tires (~$175/tire for Blizzak WS80's) in the winter if you live in an area with snow/ice; if you only get rain in the winter, all-season tires are fine, but they should not be used in areas that get snow or ice. Winter tires remain soft at low temperature, providing substantially more grip than all-seasons (the tread is soft enough you can literally push your thumb into it).
If choosing to do the swap, be prepared to do significant research on Honda's TechInfo site (buy the Service Express year subscription for $350), as well as the equivalent OEM's site of whatever make the engine comes out of. If your shop also has a ProDemand [Snap-On] subscription, even better, and it goes without saying you will need a quality diagnostics tool with the ability to show live metrics (the best would be Honda's HDS subscription with a DST-i, however the DST-i is $1500 and Honda has disabled its standalone ability, so it requires Honda's HDS subscription in order to use it [$10/day ; $1550/yr]; that being said, it's worth it if money's not an object).

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Total cost for the new engine and big turbo kit is less than 3500, i have the tools and shop available i just wasnt sure if anyone had any experience swapping engines.
Everyone says parts is crazy expensive but not really lol and i have borderline free labor
Thers a lot more than just swapping engine. Wiring harnesses and ecu come to mind.
Sponsored