baillieul

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I have owned a 2000 Jetta 1.8T and a 2007 GTi. Both great drivers cars, but required a LOT of servicing, fortunately all taken car under warranty in my case. My current Civic is better, but not bullet proof.
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I considered a GTI, but picked the HB Sport for 2 reasons: (1) it's a work car so miles are high, 25k/year, and didn't want to have a 100k mile VW in 4 years. And (2), the Civic HB trunk is much deeper than the GTI, which is quite short. This suited my work bags better.

Now I'm considering a GTI again, cause my work miles are lower, more like 15-20k/year, and the Civic isn't the most comfortable car. But I'm considering a Jetta GLI for the longer trunk. 2019 GTIs are going for $6k off though. $28k (+TTL) for DCC, LSD, Fender Audio, leather - it's pretty sweet. GLI will be a good deal too, once they get similar discounts.

6 year 72k mile warranty alleviates the maintenance worries somewhat.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the responses, while some of you are comparing price. I am looking at the top trim of both vehicles and in Canada at least, the difference is not that much more. For me. Long term costs scare me from ever owning a German vehicle so if I were in the market I would only ever lease.

Does the civic hatchback drive good at all or does it drive like the sedan and coupe?

Also, premium fuel for an extra 6hp?? Any other gain aside from this or would mileage savings actually be noticeable?
My Sport feels much better with premium, feels a bit sluggish with 87. But if I'm just doing a boring highway slog I'll fill up with 87 sometimes, and forget I did. One back roads you notice.

I drove two BMWs to 150k miles so German car costs don't scare me. The depreciation is what gets you.

OP
OP

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
Thanks again all,

I have decided I will pursue the Sport Touring of the HB trim as much as I wanted to give the manual Si and Type R a go, the long term ownership of the Si and being a manual car in Toronto traffic and the Type R being too much car for my needs, I decided to suck it up with the base HB. My biggest gripe right now is the CVT and the premium gas but I think it is one of the better CVTs and well, premium gas is just a cost I will have to absorb.

CompAvia

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX Sport
Price and MPG is a big factor for me.

At the end I prefer Japanese over European.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I loved driving my MKV GTI (2008) - the handling, power and euro-ride (firm but not harsh) was very nice. What wasn't very nice was the maintenance - I did some on my own and others I took to a local shop or the dealership. And also mileage was tough to get over 28 mpg and that was when I drove like a senior. I recently traded in my '16 sedan ex-t for an ex hatch and love it. I had really no issues to speak of other than regular maintenance which was oil changes and tire rotations for the most part. And even in spirited driving I get easily 30+ mpg. Would my former GTI win in a race? Probably. But the hatch checks off alot of what I need now and I save a few more bucks while still enjoying the ride. Oh, and man, I looked at the MK7 GTIs which are very nice but often lacked alot of the safety tech unless you went premium which could easily lift the price way over the price of a mid-level
Civic hatch.

nick94

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
My last car was a Passat. I will never buy a VW again. Too many problems, too expensive to fix.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don’t think all this crap will fit in a Golf. Can’t pile it up

Honda Civic 10th gen How come people pick the HB over a GTI? 9339D11A-8C5A-4FEE-95D8-60A55B613380

TornadoredGen3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy-T, Jetta Tsi, SI,A5
Country flag
I have owned a 2000 Jetta 1.8T and a 2007 GTi. Both great drivers cars, but required a LOT of servicing, fortunately all taken car under warranty in my case. My current Civic is better, but not bullet proof.
i too come from a background of audi and vw for the past 20 years and have switched between brand here and there. The early 1.8t of mkiV vw and b5 audi are actually bulled proof specially if kept stock or lightly modded. I had 97 a4 1.8t and it was nothing but reliable 135k miles and i really did nothing major to that car. I did mod that car also 24psi on a little k03 FOB and ran it like hell. Now given that not even those engine were made the same in every model and year,(AEB and AWD engine code where the better ones) they all performed the same. The problem came to ownership and who actually owned these cars and how they perceived them. This is true even in today's vw audi scene. prior to owning the A4 it was developing a slight sludge problem, so i asked the Original owner.. what was your oil interval ? believe it or not he said 7k miles in 2002.. wholyy fuck. that is not good. But this is s what the dealer recommend at that time. Cleaned the oil pain clean the valve cover, dead de slugge treatment, seafomed it once and whiile in my ownership i changed oil every 4k and it never became an issue , ran strong both in everyday and at the track . Moving forward to the TFSI/ TSi , this trend continued but now it was double trouble as carbon built up was introduced , the issue is very easily remedied with a catch can but in the long run you will have to decarb it, as cars ran like shit and because they waited so long now they had manifold flapper issue as the carbon was building in the flapper weighting them down and breaking the solenoid gears of the flapper so now you have three issue bcz of negligence and not knowing about the car. But in turn cars made really good power for mid 2000s hatch (2005)out of a little 2.0l with a tinyyy tiny turbo (ko3) stock was 200hp and 210tq with just an ots tune they were up to 250 260hp. and this was the 1st gen tsi. 2nd gen tsi has similar problem they changed the piston ring but mostly in the audi model as they tried to resolve the carbon issue, it came to bite them in the ass 3 out 10 audi 2.0t came to the shop with piston ring problem, some the dealer covered them most partly cover alot didn't, but this issue was isolated to audi only 98% of the time. vw on the other side had timing tensioner failures again made worst by owner following dealer recommending of this time.. drumroll.... 10k miles oil change!!! alot of time dealer covered these! On the vw Mk7 and audi (8V) with the 3rd gen tsi motor are actually pretty reliable i currently own a 1.8t 3rd gen tsi on a jetta i have 120+k miles and have nothing but good words about it i bought the car brand new and since then i only had to change a failing alternator at 85k and that was covered by the dealer. no tensioner issues, no carbon issues so far , although i know is building up and would have to do it some times but is something that comes with the territory it all dependents what you looking for and willing to live with. you want a 99% reliable car get an old camry, you want a full on luxury sport car get a Maserati .. it will empty your wallet sooner then its depreciation value.

Last edited:

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
If I could afford a sport touring I would much rather own the lowest trim gti. I think a tune alone on the mk7 gti has a bigger impact than it does on civicx. Similarly, tuned gti clutches seem to be slipping big time as well lol.

From what I see on forums, gti's seem to have a lot of little things here and there requiring repair even in the first 10k miles but if I was serious about that car it would be worth it

If I had the mk7 gti first thing I would do is get wider wheels that fit flush with the fenders. People say it's "boring" and while I honestly don't like the mk6 look, the current gen looks pretty sharp. Plus I love the classic hatchback look

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
Maintenance and availability/affordability of parts. VW is not as common as Toyota and Honda here.
And I already learned my lesson in trying to maintain a less common car.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You have it all wrong. Anything great is only created thanks to the rat race. Cars are as good as they are thanks to the competition. You don't study government regulations and design a new car assembly line as a hobby, just like you don't haul away other people's garbage as a hobby. What people can do as a hobby is play golf, never slave long hours at their desks trying to put on the market a new car against tough deadlines.

Btw. In my neighborhood there are at least five garbage/recycling hauling companies. Each sends their own trucks, picking only the garbage of their customers and passing by the others. Some garbage trucks are very small. This must be very inefficient environmentally, but I don't want to ever see the day when there is only one garbage organization. Why? Because I have already seen it before.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So long as their body doesn't rot out from rust, you could keep a used car going forever. You might hit a problem with parts availability though. I still can easily get most anything for the '94 Z. The F-150, given how many were made... could make it well into my old age if I let it.

I think engine power/efficiency, convenience technology, better construction for safety and added safety features for themselves as well as the perceived waste of money putting money into a depreciated-to-nothing vehicle are the hold-ups and really are telling as to whether it's worth it.

The F-150 still works fine at nearly 20... but it gets high teens for economy, makes barely 200 HP, has no tech other than the aftermarket headunit I added, is actually pretty unsafe given the crash tests performed... and that was prior to the era of small offsets and is worth maybe $1000. I would unload it and get an early 4v era F-150 if I wanted to replace it.

I get what you're saying... but until the Auto industry reached some technological equilibrium where they aren't making better vehicles... and I think we have a way to go... then I figure I'll keep getting them often. I still think buying ~10-15 year old vehicles can be some of the best bang-for-the-buck. So long as they were maintained... modern 100k-150k 10-15 year old vehicles are just worn in. My Zs (albeit, some were older), RSX and Cadillac we're all bought in this realm. Great cars. Cheap as hell. Cheap to keep going. That'll almost certainly be my next vehicle when the Civic goes to a kid and the Odyssey us no longer needed. The lady will get something nice and new and I'll get something awesome, old and cheap.
Sponsored