How come people pick the HB over a GTI?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only reason to pick a civic hb instead of a GTI is the price... and maybe the reliability but i’m not so impress with the 10th gen civic
Those are 2 really LARGE factors in most peoples purchase. The civic wins both of those. Sure quality inside, comfort, and other thing factor in but most people buying a hatch are really worried about the fact the GTI has a bigger engine, or can make 300 hp with a tune etc.
Sponsored

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
honestly it's because every vw product owned by anyone i've known ends up sitting in the shop. Bugs, Jetta's, Passatts, Audi A4, Audi s4, and golfs. Kind of hard to get past a track record like that.

OP
OP

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
In Canada, the price is about a $3000-4000 difference between the top trims. The Sport Touring HB is also $3000 more than the Si.

Sgt.Peppers

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic HB Sport 6MT
I just don't like the way the GTI looks. It's too round and boring. It may have more power but I'm not buying a car to race. Not to mention the price and reliability.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
This is an unpopular opinion but if Honda decides to release a new hatch for the XI generation with an "Si" trim that offers the option between a manual or a DCT like the GTI and it makes a minimum of 230 HP then they would be selling like hot cakes. Obviously for this to make sense they would have to bump up the CTR's power to something like 310-320 HP for there to be a big enough difference between the Si and CTR. If it sold for a good enough price i'd be one of the first people to buy it and i'd trade in my current Civic for it. I love manuals but sitting in traffic and commuting is just so much more convenient for me with an automatic.

Last edited:

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Reason I went for the Civic over the Golf is rareity and individualism. Im not one to run with the crowd and here in the UK Golfs are sooooo common, everyone has one! And the styling is so predictable and bland

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
This is an unpopular opinion but if Honda decides to release a new hatch for the XI generation with an "Si" trim that offers the option between a manual or a DCT like the GTI and it makes a minimum of 230 HP then they would be selling like hot cakes. Obviously for this to make sense they would have to bump up the CTR's power to something like 310-320 HP for there to be a big enough difference between the Si and CTR. If it sold for a good enough price i'd be one of the first people to buy it and i'd trade in my current Civic for it. I love manuals but sitting in traffic and commuting is just so much more convenient for me with an automatic.
This so much! I wanted the utility of a hatch and really didn't wanna deal with a manual on my commute. today was another confirmation of that when it took me 40 min to go what's normally a 15 min drive as I crawled along in stop and go traffic. They really need to make an si with the ilx transmission and just accept that some of us do like auto's.

xaviersayys

Xavier
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For me, it really just came down to my budget. At the time I only had a $23k budget and I didn't want the base trim, so I went with the Civic. MPGs were also high on my list.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Reason I went for the Civic over the Golf is rareity and individualism. Im not one to run with the crowd and here in the UK Golfs are sooooo common, everyone has one! And the styling is so predictable and bland
Definitely not the case in the US. Civics are EVERYWHERE. I mod mine to stand out from the crowd a bit.

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's actually the opposite, GTI's are known for being amazing daily drivers because of their relatively upscale interior and balance of comfort and performance. Not to mention like you said that the GTI makes serious power with just a tune and boltons being enough for it to spank a CTR in a straight line. Sure the Honda may last a little longer but as a person who likes to change cars every 4-5 years, i'd pick the GTI all day if I were in the market for a sporty hatchback. Also, GTI offers a DCT over the Civic's CVT for people who dont want to or cant drive manual.

I've heard nothing but problems from GTI owners and it's lack of reliability as a DD. Much better dedicated track car for making power. This is at least the input I got from people who own them when I was strongly considering an mk7 rabbit over my Si .

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Can’t wait to see if our 1.5 turbo will face the same issue
Honda took several years to develop their direct injection engines so i would expect that they did their homework

Adil

First Name
Adil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5t
Country flag
Good thread. I think its two very different cars. In SA GTI's are so common and pricey. In the past the 2.0 turbo engine was riddled with oil consumption issues. I agree that the GTI should be compared to the SI. The 1.5 T IMHO makes the perfect DD.

OP
OP

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
Thanks for the responses, while some of you are comparing price. I am looking at the top trim of both vehicles and in Canada at least, the difference is not that much more. For me. Long term costs scare me from ever owning a German vehicle so if I were in the market I would only ever lease.

Does the civic hatchback drive good at all or does it drive like the sedan and coupe?

Also, premium fuel for an extra 6hp?? Any other gain aside from this or would mileage savings actually be noticeable?
Sponsored