How come people pick the HB over a GTI?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Talking about 2 different price points as well. GTI is almost $30k and smaller while the hatch is around $20-22k and has plenty of room. In the end it comes down to what YOU want and can afford.

So long as their body doesn't rot out from rust, you could keep a used car going forever. You might hit a problem with parts availability though. I still can easily get most anything for the '94 Z. The F-150, given how many were made... could make it well into my old age if I let it.

I think engine power/efficiency, convenience technology, better construction for safety and added safety features for themselves as well as the perceived waste of money putting money into a depreciated-to-nothing vehicle are the hold-ups and really are telling as to whether it's worth it.

The F-150 still works fine at nearly 20... but it gets high teens for economy, makes barely 200 HP, has no tech other than the aftermarket headunit I added, is actually pretty unsafe given the crash tests performed... and that was prior to the era of small offsets and is worth maybe $1000. I would unload it and get an early 4v era F-150 if I wanted to replace it.

I get what you're saying... but until the Auto industry reached some technological equilibrium where they aren't making better vehicles... and I think we have a way to go... then I figure I'll keep getting them often. I still think buying ~10-15 year old vehicles can be some of the best bang-for-the-buck. So long as they were maintained... modern 100k-150k 10-15 year old vehicles are just worn in. My Zs (albeit, some were older), RSX and Cadillac we're all bought in this realm. Great cars. Cheap as hell. Cheap to keep going. That'll almost certainly be my next vehicle when the Civic goes to a kid and the Odyssey us no longer needed. The lady will get something nice and new and I'll get something awesome, old and cheap.
Better watch out Charles. I just looked up parts for my mothers 1997 Tahoe, which you'd think would not have a problem with parts production, and half the stuff for it was discontinued, and that's a heavily produced vehicle. I think domestic makers are cutting back on older parts production now that most people are starting to update their garages.
Sponsored

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Because I think VWs are hideous, and I dig Hondas. Plus there is an absolutely outrageous aftermarket/tuner scene for the Civic.

Cost-wise, I also feel like you get the most car for your money with Honda.

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag

aymehr

Ari
First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I'll be honest; I wish I could afford the GTI. If I could get the Autobahn GTI for the price I wanted I would get it. Still no regrets with the Civic.
Sponsored