How can I switch rear view mirror ball socket mount?

malfidusgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Today I went to change the rear view mirror in my 2020 EX-L from the stock Homelink mirror to a Homelink mirror with a compass. I got everything all wired and tried to mount the new mirror, but the stem from the base that screws in with the Torx screw is too short to clear the Sensing camera cover.

Is there a way to pop off the stem from the old mirror and put it on the new mirror? It would require popping apart the ball socket joints. Is this possible?
Sponsored

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
If I may suggest, you might want to post some photos; I am having a hard time visualizing what you are dealing with here. And I have replaced DIY my OEM with a Gentex Homelink Autodim mirror, so I am more familiar with this stuff than most others here.

702civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring
Country flag
You totally can do this, when I got mine, I pulled out the sockets from both mirrors and used a jack, put the face on a block of wood and jacked it up under my truck and just snapped the ball into the socket, there are risks though, just go slow

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
To think I just used a 1inch extension and cut the sensing cover

OP
OP

malfidusgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
To think I just used a 1inch extension and cut the sensing cover
Yeah, I had a buddy of mine machine a small extension. Big enough to do the job, but still small enough to fit inside the cover.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah, I had a buddy of mine machine a small extension. Big enough to do the job, but still small enough to fit inside the cover.
Nice! Don't have a buddy like that so I broke out the dremel :hmm:

Allturbo98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX
Country flag
Need pictures of this to better understand what was being done. I am wanting to do this but would like some clearer instructions for ones that have the sensing system installed as well.
Sponsored