How can brake hold be used to hill start 1st/reverse on the Si?

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
New manual driver, was just wondering if there's any way to use the brake hold button to keep the clutch in and get the revs up to get off of a hill. Only thing is everywhere I'm reading is that it disengages when throttle is given so doesn't that make it useless essentially? Or is that only for the CVT civics? Would it just be better to get the revs up past 2k and then let the clutch out to the biting point then release parking brake?

All advice appreciated thank you guys.
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Brake hold is different than hill hold. Regardless of you having brake hold enabled, if you are on an incline at a stop w/ the clutch in, the car will engage the brakes until you release the clutch.

edit: not sure if hill hold engages when in reverse

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
New manual driver, was just wondering if there's any way to use the brake hold button to keep the clutch in and get the revs up to get off of a hill. Only thing is everywhere I'm reading is that it disengages when throttle is given so doesn't that make it useless essentially? Or is that only for the CVT civics? Would it just be better to get the revs up past 2k and then let the clutch out to the biting point then release parking brake?

All advice appreciated thank you guys.
Break hold will work on a hill just fine. Try it without anyone behind you- it works as it should. It doesn't let go when you hit the gas, it lets go when the car will roll forward or about there.

kibz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
For me, it disengages when the car starts moving forward. I've used it a few times on hills and it's never dropped back.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
From the owner's manual:

Honda Civic 10th gen How can brake hold be used to hill start 1st/reverse on the Si? Capture.PNG

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Confirmed this morning that when stopped on a hill w/ the clutch in, the hill hold is engaged w/ my foot of the brake until I start releasing the clutch. And this is w/o the brake hold enabled.

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Break hold will work on a hill just fine. Try it without anyone behind you- it works as it should. It doesn't let go when you hit the gas, it lets go when the car will roll forward or about there.
Ohh OK I was under the impression it would disengage when given throttle. Brake hold sounds like a life saver for hill starts then?

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Confirmed this morning that when stopped on a hill w/ the clutch in, the hill hold is engaged w/ my foot of the brake until I start releasing the clutch. And this is w/o the brake hold enabled.
Wait so on a hill the car doesn't roll back if the clutch is in? How come?

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
For me, it disengages when the car starts moving forward. I've used it a few times on hills and it's never dropped back.
That's awesome then. I was really worried about hill starts but brake hold makes them so much less intimidating.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I remember my first manual car that did not have brake hold or hill assist!

Brake hold will hold you there without your foot on the brake forever (well there may be a limit, 10 minutes I think and after that it automatically turns on the e-brake) and will disengage once you start moving forward.

Hill assist holds you for a couple seconds when you take your foot off the brake, should be enough time to take off without the car rolling backwards.

Last edited:

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really?
Usually hill assist holds you only for a couple of seconds not until you start moving.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Really?
Usually hill assist holds you only for a couple of seconds not until you start moving.
Guess I should clarify then. I didn't sit there too long w/ my foot off the brake. Just a couple seconds before giving it some gas and releasing the clutch. I'll check later to see how long hill hold stays engaged.
Sponsored