How bad is the EX touchscreen audio?

If you have a Honda EX or EX-L with the touchscreen radio how do you like it?

• Total voters

honda1sc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I'm thinking about buying a 2017 Civic Hatchback (or maybe an HRV) and even though I've always had the EX or EX-L trims in Honda's I've owned I am seriously considering sticking with the LX or Sport trim just to avoid the touchscreen radio volume control that EVERYONE on the net seems to hate. I haven't tried it out myself yet so until then I thought a better source for opinions would be from actual owners. For those of you that have the touchscreen radio is it really that bad? Or do you somehow get used to it? (I created a poll so you can lodge your vote but feel free to elaborate with detailed thoughts below.)
Sponsored

Rob_13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
as for the headunit itself im not sure ive read some people have major issues, maybe i got lucky? but i haven't had any issues really just froze on me once but a quick reboot of system fixed it all. For volume control i have no idea what the issue is you've got the steering wheel controls which work great and you basically never have to even touch the radio

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I hate not having a volume knob, but not enough to give up the other features of the Touring that I love.

If I had to quantify it, I think I'd be willing to spend up to $500 to get a normal volume knob. Like, if the 2018 Civic 7" headunits get a volume knob, and they're compatible with 2016 cars, I'd be willing to spend up to $500 to get one but probably not more than that.

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
I hate touch screens in vehicles, with that said as touchscreens go it's not bad. I've gotten used to using the steering wheel volume toggle, in fact in the multiple vehicles i drive of my own and for work they all have the left thumb volume toggle.

My biggest complaint is there is no hand rest to steady your hand while you touch the screen. Your hand is just floating there and any little imperfection in the road will cause you hit the wrong satellite station or the wrong function you were after.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
I dont mind the screen in it...mine is responsive and hasn't frozen since I bought the car in July....the only thing I have noticed is on occasion backing up, the screen is blank....the guidelines are there and move with the wheel...few seconds later, the picture shows up...doesn't do it often, maybe once or twice a month maybe

txtx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I hate touch screens in vehicles, with that said as touchscreens go it's not bad. I've gotten used to using the steering wheel volume toggle, in fact in the multiple vehicles i drive of my own and for work they all have the left thumb volume toggle.

My biggest complaint is there is no hand rest to steady your hand while you touch the screen. Your hand is just floating there and any little imperfection in the road will cause you hit the wrong satellite station or the wrong function you were after.
Agreed. And the touchscreen is not accurate or fast enough, so perhaps I press FF, it doesn't register, then I pick my finger up to press exactly in the center, and it registers that as "move to next track" so I can spend twice as much time looking away from the road. It's an actual safety problem to not have a tactile something to touch to know where your finger is without looking over.

Aside from not being flexible with audio file formats and drive formats or having an aux port (basically not being open to all the different ways people enjoy music), I'd say the biggest problem is the owner's manual does not tell you what the head unit can accept, other than Android Auto and Apple CarPlay which you have to have the appropriate phone for. Even Honda's press release for this amazing technological marvel head unit omits that it plays WAV files, which it does. If owner's manuals give the precise bulb replacements for dome lights, they should also describe other than "you can connect through the USB ports" and leave owners to figure everything out on their own. It's amateurish and insulting.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
If you have some patience it’s a good system. Apple CarPlay and android auto integration are a plus.
Sponsored