How bad is it to change the oil with conventional oil instead of full synthetic 2016 1.5 cvt?

Civic_x

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X
Country flag
Hi. I have a 2016 Honda Civic EXT and when it was new many places where I went to change the oil thought it was a regular Civic and put conventional regular oil… even recently I went to Valvoline and asked them to change with full synthetic they changed with a blend because they had my car in their system as a 2.0 L and not the 1.5 turbo…. I immediately came back and changed it to full synthetic (I hope they actually changed it lol). I’m at 110,000 miles and the car is running good, no problems. I always changed with synthetic oil after 30,000 miles, before that I didn’t know much about the importance of oil and a few places used conventional oil for the oil change.

My question is how bad is it to do so, and did anything get damaged? Will my car have a shorter lifespan?

Thank you in advance the answers.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Conventional oil breaks down a lot faster than synthetic, especially in a turbo engine. If you were doing the long oil changes then yes, it was probably bad. At least you figured out that you need to read the service receipt every time to make sure they used the correct oil, or ask them. Be glad you don't have any issues.

UncleJoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 HB Sport
Country flag
Yikes. I understand you may not have the means to diy oil changes but this would be the final one I would trust someone else to do.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Engine oil or CVT oil ?

There are no convention oil in 0-20 grade

0W-20 motor oils require synthetic base oils and are either full synthetic or part synthetic (synthetic blend) motor oil; 0W-20 oils are not conventional (or mineral) motor oils. And the additives must be thin enough to move well but still protect these newer advanced engines.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Engine oil or CVT oil ?

There are no convention oil in 0-20 grade

0W-20 motor oils require synthetic base oils and are either full synthetic or part synthetic (synthetic blend) motor oil; 0W-20 oils are not conventional (or mineral) motor oils. And the additives must be thin enough to move well but still protect these newer advanced engines.
This is a great point. What weight oil did they use if it wasn't synthetic?

Either way, I wouldn't keep it for more than 5k miles and I wouldn't beat on it. I'm sure you'll be fine otherwise.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1- I will not use other oil than 0-20 and synthetic
2- What Honda say in owner manual ! You'll have the answer

You have more than a $25K car and why are looking for "cheap" oil wich is a very important part of you engine ( car ) life ?
Sponsored