First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have my 2016 Civic LX with an unbolted and removed exhaust from the cat. The drone is incredibly annoying (I've gotten used to it) and the car pops. It pops especially loud on a cold start and if I tap the gas pedal or move the gear selector from 'D' to 'S'.

How bad is this for my car in the long run? Short term? The pops and bangs happen right underneath my cabin since there's no exhaust, and I'll admit, as awesome as it sounds, I'm not sure if I should continue driving around like this.

Also, my low end power... Doesn't exist.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you even do this?

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I have my 2016 Civic LX with an unbolted and removed exhaust from the cat. The drone is incredibly annoying (I've gotten used to it) and the car pops. It pops especially loud on a cold start and if I tap the gas pedal or move the gear selector from 'D' to 'S'.

How bad is this for my car in the long run? Short term? The pops and bangs happen right underneath my cabin since there's no exhaust, and I'll admit, as awesome as it sounds, I'm not sure if I should continue driving around like this.

If the noise is "incredibly annoying" to you, imagine what it sounds like to anyone outside of the car, particularly the poor driver stuck behind you on the highway (not to mention your passengers). Sounds to me like you have many more negatives and only one subjective positive, and should perhaps consider putting it back on. Understand it's your car, but you did ask a public forum for advice...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I get the idea of a car having a better sounding exhaust. Had a Borla exhaust on one of my cars and loved the deep burble. But removing the exhaust entirely? Talk about an attention getter. But not in a good way.

OP
OP
RelapseZ

RelapseZ

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the noise is "incredibly annoying" to you, imagine what it sounds like to anyone outside of the car, particularly the poor driver stuck behind you on the highway (not to mention your passengers). Sounds to me like you have many more negatives and only one subjective positive, and should perhaps consider putting it back on. Understand it's your car, but you did ask a public forum for advice...
Thanks, I just wanted to know mostly from a mechanical perspective if it can damage my car in any way.

sysjl

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2014 Subaru Outback
Country flag

Your car will be fine but a baby seal cries every time you start your car.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I just wanted to know mostly from a mechanical perspective if it can damage my car in any way.
Your car will be fine mechanically. The only damage will happen to people's ears and your reputation. ;)

Last edited:

rwnl2012

HDMI Butt
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Si Coupe, 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Anything Cat back will be fine and won't do anything to your car but you probably could've just went with a muffler and/or resonator delete.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Why do people think the pops sound good?

A neighbor has an RS and it’s annoyingly loud and pops like that as well.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No exhaust from the cat back shouldn't mechanically hurt the car. I've heard pulling the exhaust manifold off and running an engine is bad for the engine, and I think specifically the exhaust valves, but that wouldn't apply to you and I can't even remember where I read it. Probably on a small engine specific forum... but they did give a good justification.

pikwit

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport 2001 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't get stuck in traffic you'll get sleepy from carbon monoxide poisoning. It'll be real bad for your car when you pass out and rear end someone.
Sponsored