How are you guys installing wings without worry about rusting?

Chickensalami

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Called around about 6-7 body shops earlier and out of all the places called only one considered installing my wing due to not wanting to be liable for any rust/mold/mildew that might form because of the holes that‘ll have to be drilled.

that said, I’m a bit worried to even have it installed now. What are you guys using or providing to the person installing your wing to use for preventing any of the above from happening?
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The body shop just has to get you to sign a waiver removing them from liability, they're just being lazy. Generally, anytime you cut the metal you should paint the edges to prevent rust. You could run silicone caulk around the bolt holes if you're really worried about it, but it's a pain to clean off if you ever remove the wing.

OP
OP

Chickensalami

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
The body shop just has to get you to sign a waiver removing them from liability, they're just being lazy. Generally, anytime you cut the metal you should paint the edges to prevent rust. You could run silicone caulk around the bolt holes if you're really worried about it, but it's a pain to clean off if you ever remove the wing.
Thank you! I’m seeing that a touch up paint pen might work but if I go that route wouldn’t I need to apply some sort of clear coat?

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you! I’m seeing that a touch up paint pen might work but if I go that route wouldn’t I need to apply some sort of clear coat?
Some touch up pens include clear coat. You wouldn't really need a clear coat, as it'll be under the wing.

OP
OP

Chickensalami

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Some touch up pens include clear coat. You wouldn't really need a clear coat, as it'll be under the wing.
awesome! I’ll definitely be keeping this in mind. Was going to go the caulk route initially but only saw one person do and wanted to see what my other options were. Have you installed a wing?

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
awesome! I’ll definitely be keeping this in mind. Was going to go the caulk route initially but only saw one person do and wanted to see what my other options were. Have you installed a wing?
Yes, and I've had to take it off and put it back on, hence my comment on silicone being hard to remove :p

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Pay a reputable body shop. You need proper prep and primer on bare metal. Paint sitting on top of bare metal will never last very long.

OP
OP

Chickensalami

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Yes, and I've had to take it off and put it back on, hence my comment on silicone being hard to remove :p
Ahhh, I see. Sorry you had to go through that ? This whole rust thing is making the whole installation difficult.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
drill and clean debris

wipe area with alcohol

spray primer onto a Q tip and dab the drilled areas and then apply touch up paint.

OP
OP

Chickensalami

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Pay a reputable body shop. You need proper prep and primer on bare metal. Paint sitting on top of bare metal will never last very long.
Thanks! Ive been trying to but nobody seems to wanna take the project on. Would touch pen paint even work on top of primer? Or would you recommend something else. I’m going to have to paint match either way it goes but was hoping to keep that part relatively cheap since installing the wing itself will likely be pretty costly.

OP
OP

Chickensalami

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
drill and clean debris

wipe area with alcohol

spray primer onto a Q tip and dab the drilled areas and then apply touch up paint.
In addition to prepping, priming, and painting the holes, should I be adding anything else to prevent leakage/moisture such as caulk or anything else? So far I have that I need primer, touch up paint, thread lock, and that’s it.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag

IMO, grease is better for rust proof than silicone.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
In addition to prepping, priming, and painting the holes, should I be adding anything else to prevent leakage/moisture such as caulk or anything else? So far I have that I need primer, touch up paint, thread lock, and that’s it.
there shouldnt be anything else you really need. Your basically just prepping it like you would prep anything when preparing to paint.

what wing are you installing anyways?

If the wing doesn't come with some kinda foam or rubber to go in between the wing and the hatch, you can maybe pick up some small rubber o rings to put in between the hatch and the wing to make sure water doesn't seep down. It should squish the rubber when you bolt the wing down and prevent any water from entering the hole.
Sponsored