How are our 10th gen Si owners feeling now?

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the Canadian Si seems very appealing, but as a US-buyer, I can't imagine purchasing the new generation of a car that's been de-contented so significantly compared to mine (no heated seats, no dual-zone climate, no fog lights, only half-digital dash, no adaptive dampers, lower advertised horsepower). If you are coming from a different brand/non-Si Civic, purchasing the new Si might make more sense.
This is 100% correct. As a former 10th gen Si coupe owner this hits even harder.
If the Canadian optioned Si was what the US received it wouldn't have bothered me much. and would be a evolution of the 10th gen. However what the US gets is a step backward and an insult.
I get it prices go up and this dammed virus isnt helping much, but to remove basic features and increase the price to justify its affordability? come on...That's BS Honda.
I consider myself blessed to have a Type R and to have it bought it at 2017 msrp before the price went insane. I'd rather have an Elantra N at slightly lower than the original FK8 price than the Si.
even if it by some miracle came in a coupe.

Hell the new Integra would be a better choice than the Si even though I dislike the Acura front end and it's Genesis coupe rear end.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
While car performance well on the road, the us version got shafted hard. Standard features are now probably luxury features for the integra

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As an owner of 2 RSXs, one a type-S, a gen 9 Si looking to have a larger family-capable Si as my family had expanded from 3 to 5 in the intervening years and then my GenX Si… to dump a fairly mediocre (in my option) K24Z7 that lacked the enjoyment of the earlier higher reviving Ks and car that I didn’t find engaging: I don’t have any interest in the new car at this time.

There’s nothing compelling to me about the new car and I’d like to drive something different after 7 straight years of Civic-Ing and will be keeping my eye for whatever catches it. It’s a bad market to buy new and used so I plan on getting through 2022 for now… and maintain/tinker with my stable of aging vehicles I have. I don’t really miss my Si now that it’s been gone a couple weeks. Great car, but I just don’t get attached to things like I used to. I enjoyed learning about/tweaking tunes… doing my sound deadening projects and other random things foruming about Civics as much, if not more, than anything about the car itself. It also resulted in a fun trip to Fontana with my whole family (I swear we were the only group of 5 that made the trip) and some good memories.

It pretty much would have taken placing a K20C4 from the Accord in it. Had they done that though… I’d probably be interested. The car itself, outside the power train, doesn’t really hook me in any meaningful way. Aesthetically I don’t care for the interior or exterior changes. It’s a lot of little things that just make me think the new car looks a little gross/bland. GenX wasn’t perfect and I could talk down some of its attributes… but when you took the whole thing in, I thought it worked. Gen 11 is a bit of a mess to me.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The car itself, outside the power train, doesn’t really hook me in any meaningful way. Aesthetically I don’t care for the interior or exterior changes. It’s a lot of little things that just make me think the new car looks a little gross/bland. GenX wasn’t perfect and I could talk down some of its attributes… but when you took the whole thing in, I thought it worked. Gen 11 is a bit of a mess to me.
I'm with you. I wanted my next car to be the next Civic but in some ways it's the "anti-10th gen" aesthetically. Say what you will about the 10th gen but those of us that loved the bold update from the 9th to the 10th feel strongly about our cars (at least I do). Sure it can be funky from certain angles but it's a distinct look.

When I look at the 11th, I think "nice looking car with a quality interior". But it just doesn't have the "it" factor. I keep my cars a long time and I want my car to put a smile on my face.

With a tune and some personalization mods, I'm sure I'll like it more but for now I'm happy I have a 10th.

Danimal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
I was stoked for the 11th gen but just don’t love the bland exterior. With the lack of convenience features and high cost, I’ll keep rocking my ‘19 for a while.

EstiloinAction

First Name
Estilo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020, BMW 528i 2000
Country flag
Everything about the GenX I love, except that trash infotainment.
I've had the 2020 Coupe Si since it launched and it's stock. The more I drive it, the more I learn new things. Can't wait to tune it... But not just yet.

I would love to restore my old 2000 528i someday, but as of right now, my eyes are on the CBR600rr ?

When I have a family, I'll get a van ?

Danimal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Everything about the GenX I love, except that trash infotainment.
I've had the 2020 Coupe Si since it launched and it's stock. The more I drive it, the more I learn new things. Can't wait to tune it... But not just yet.

I would love to restore my old 2000 528i someday, but as of right now, my eyes are on the CBR600rr ?

When I have a family, I'll get a van ?
Nah, my 9 and 11 year old boys fit just fine in my coupe. We even take it on 4hour or less road-trips as a family of four and we fit just fine.

EstiloinAction

First Name
Estilo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020, BMW 528i 2000
Country flag
Nah, my 9 and 11 year old boys fit just fine in my coupe. We even take it on 4hour or less road-trips as a family of four and we fit just fine.
Yea man I'm all for the coupes! My dad had a 89 Prelude so my brother and I grew up traveling in that.

Doubt I'd ever get a van ?

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Or put it this way, if this exact same car of 11th gen Si were introduced 4 years ago as 10th gen, would it get less/more bash then?
To answer that specific question in the OP -- it might have been bashed slightly less than it was, only because of the less-radical exterior compared to the 10th gen (i.e. 11th is somewhat closer to the 9th gen, in terms of looks/plastic inserts which as I recall were a huge "negative" at the time).

But, as others have pointed out, it would still be complained about, because that's what always happens.

Personally, I love my 2017 Si (got it as soon as it became available in my state/neighborhood), and since I usually try to keep cars for 10+ years, I'm not on the market. But, if it did magically disappear today, I'd buy the new Si in a blink of an eye. IMO it's still strikes the best balance/compromise between fuel economy, features, cost, and 'fun-to-driveness' than anything else out there.

Last edited:

scootibum

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC3
Country flag
To me the initial reaction was right about the car and it's looks. Now the only people that are praising this car are the reviewers who make money off YouTube videos. Oddly enough they are gearing to people to want to buy and it seems to be working. I even heard one say for this price point it can't be beat. I got my 10th gen Si for under 23k brand new. Me in my right mind could not justify ever the price they are asking now and especially since there are markups on a Si. The dealerships are getting super shitty and greedy making Honda look bad.

I think it's great they've made a few mechanical engineering strides to improve the L15 Si platform. Anybody have any guess how high the type r is gonna be priced?

sjd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si 2019 Honda Fit Sport 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th AE
Country flag
The only feature the 11th Gen has that I wish my 2019 had is the heated steering wheel. That's it. I don't care for the exterior styling, there is no coupe, I don't want Honda sensing and it's more expensive. I'm sure it's a fine car but it's not for me.

Then there is the fact that both 2022 Si sedans competing during the 25 hours of Thunderhill experienced engine failure despite having tunes that were dead reliable on the 10th gens. Speculation is that the new engine isn't as strong internally. I won't buy a first year car from anyone these days.

I plan to keep my 2019 Si Coupe for at least a decade or more. I drove a 2000 EM1 up until 2017 so I do like to keep my cars for a while...

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
To me the initial reaction was right about the car and it's looks. Now the only people that are praising this car are the reviewers who make money off YouTube videos. Oddly enough they are gearing to people to want to buy and it seems to be working. I even heard one say for this price point it can't be beat. I got my 10th gen Si for under 23k brand new. Me in my right mind could not justify ever the price they are asking now and especially since there are markups on a Si. The dealerships are getting super shitty and greedy making Honda look bad.

I think it's great they've made a few mechanical engineering strides to improve the L15 Si platform. Anybody have any guess how high the type r is gonna be priced?
I think the majority of 11th gen Si buyers are not 10th gen Si owners. I could see base 10th gen models owners looking to upgrade, and 9th gen Si owners, but not sure if it's a deal coming from a 10th gen Si.

Also got a great deal on my 2019 Si ($22,600 + TTL) and no way in hell would I pay $10k more for incremental upgrades and missing features.

I'm guessing 2023 CTR will start at $39,995 MSRP and dealers will be looking for $50k+...

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
i know ive said it before but dont remember which forum.

you got some great new choices coming out around the same time as the new SI. if i was in a 10th gen SI or base and wanted to upgrade id be eyeing the new brz/gr86 and the hyundai N cars. yes the N cars cost a few grand more than a SI but you get so much more. i saw on this forum, a youtuber with a black si using some racing app to test the acceleration of the new SI and its rather slow. Thats with a normal driver, not some paid race car driver on a prepped surface. Now, its your money after all but, i would test drive the competition if you can.

just my two pennies.
Sponsored