How are our 10th gen Si owners feeling now?

LittleturboSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
With many reviews of the 11th gen came out yesterday ( I haven't watched/read all yet), it seems to me it's kind of one-sided saying it's a very good Si.

But how good/better it is comparing to the 10th gen is another question. So eager to wait for some of you to report. When the 10th gen first came out, it got quite some bash from comparing to the 9th gen because of missing the N/A and vtec, the whole character of the car changed. The reviews were not this much one-sided as the 11th gen now. I believe it has some to do with the timing. Our 10th gen took the hard and dirty work to absorb the hate from the engine change, and now people accepted the Si = Turbo. And now people can just focus more on any good sides of this 11th gen.

Or put it this way, if this exact same car of 11th gen Si were introduced 4 years ago as 10th gen, would it get less/more bash then? I guess at least the reviews would not be this one sided as now. Or can we say it's a one sided good car from the reviews because there's the 10th gen before, not the 9th gen before.

This 11th gen sure has some areas better than 10th gen, and vice versa. But I am just wondering as a car by itself, how much better it is than a 10th gen as a car by itself? Sounds complicate, but you know what I mean...lol.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think you'll find tons of different opinions. I personally don't care for the less swoopy look and I'm one of the few who can take or leave the retro interior. Having said that, the 11th is clearly a quality car and a decent performer. I'm also someone who keeps their cars 7-8 years and would avoid buying a first year model anyway.

I'm guessing most people with 10th gens aren't dropping everything to get an 11th right now unless one of three things are happening:

1. They're unhappy with some aspect of their current car.
2. They're the type that has to have "the newest thing".
3. They're taking advantage of the current crazy trade in value of their Si.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

svffr

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 PMM Civic EX, '19 CBP Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This happens every generation, everyone shits on the newer incoming model to make themselves feel better for owning the last generation model. You also have folks who have made their pre order for the new gen, haven't taken ownership of it yet that are vehemently defending it because they have invested emotion into their purchase. It goes both ways.

As for me, I told myself when I buy my Si that I am keeping it until I can't drive anymore, or maybe pass it to my children. I love my 10th gen and I like the 11th gen, I think the 11th gen is going to be another amazing Si and lots of folks are going to fall in love with it, it's not a terrible car in anyway and will put smiles on a lot of faces.

TL;DR 11th gen Si is great, haters gonna hate to justify their previous gen purchase.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I think the Canadian Si seems very appealing, but as a US-buyer, I can't imagine purchasing the new generation of a car that's been de-contented so significantly compared to mine (no heated seats, no dual-zone climate, no fog lights, only half-digital dash, no adaptive dampers, lower advertised horsepower). If you are coming from a different brand/non-Si Civic, purchasing the new Si might make more sense.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
A 2021 Odyssey does 0-60 in 6.5
A 2022 Civic Si does it in 7.1

All the magazines are reporting the new Si is slower in every single test than the outgoing model. It's slower, $2000 more expensive, boring looking, brakes overheat and fade, basically a good car but not a true Si anymore.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
basically a good car but not a true Si anymore.
Yeah but what is a true Si? If you mean it needs a high revving NA engine to be considered an Si and not a torquey turbo, I get that.

But all car models evolve. And let's face it, Si's were never burners but more great shifting, fun corner carvers.

The 11th gen seems to be a nicely balanced Sport Injected sedan. Then again, so was/is the 10th.

Last edited:

ripcord291

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Platinum White Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the Canadian Si seems very appealing, but as a US-buyer, I can't imagine purchasing the new generation of a car that's been de-contented so significantly compared to mine (no heated seats, no dual-zone climate, no fog lights, only half-digital dash, no adaptive dampers, lower advertised horsepower). If you are coming from a different brand/non-Si Civic, purchasing the new Si might make more sense.
This hits the nail on the head. The gutted this car. If we got the one Canada got I would be all over this. But as it stands like you said coming from a 10gen I wouldn't buy it. I think they dropped the ball on this one... At least the U.S version. It lost too much to cost more.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Both the new SI and Integra do not give me reasons to even consider to change. Note that I am comparing both models in Canadian trims.

My 2018 SI Coupe is still going strong so I will keep it for another 1-2 years.

MaoFC3

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I heard nothing but good things about performance. However in my opinion the car does not scream sports compact…the front end lacks personality and the rear looks like a hyundai sonata. The interior looks amazing though. It just fives me a “meh” feeling but i hope they do a refresh like the 2012-2015

jack.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have highly been considering trading in my 10th gen Si coupe for an 11th gen sport touring hatch of equal value, especially because my car was just in a crash. I believe though I’m going to stick with the 10th gen because I love this car and am not a big fan of the rear end of the hatch. It looks too sad imo, but the hatch would be a clean slate for me especially because I didn’t have a clean slate when I got my 10th gen. I would also take my time to make it a conservative street build instead of the all out build style of my 10th gen. I would put a catted downpipe with a quieter exhaust system, conservative tune, mild drop springs, a conservative wheel/tire setup, etc on the 11th gen. My 10th gen however I’m going to go catless with a loud exhaust, d2 springs, wide wheels and tires, maybe even big turbo in the future. The 11th gen would be a slick and comfortable daily. But I do really love most things about my 10th gen so I believe I’m going to keep it. The aggressive styling and mods of my 10th gen suits me more than a regular 11th gen civic that everyone is rushing out to get. I’m really torn on this one, but for me I might have to stick with my 10th gen. I’m still open to trading for an 11th gen sport touring hatch 6mt in boost blue, as that would be a sweet daily with a sick color that stands out.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
I think if you want to buy a brand new Si and don't currently own a 9th or 10th gen then they are good option. The interior is really nice, the power band and lighter flywheel is a good change, and the revised suspension and stiffened chassis are also a plus.

However, styling is way understated to where it looks like a sport model, no heat seats or auto climate, etc. is a big L. Also overall power seems down as the car is slower than the 10th gen.

I like the 10th gen more and probably would rather buy a 2014/2015 over the new one.

Type R should be good though.

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
The removal of heated seats make it a hard pass for me. The deletion of dual zone climate is not a big deal since I never use it that way, and the adaptive damper delete also doesn't bother me. The fog light delete is disappointing but not a deal breaker, and I wish they hadn't put in the auto stop/start function. The only real plus in content is rev-matching (I can't seem to heel-toe in my 18 Si) and the wireless phone connectivity.

As for the car itself, the styling is a little bland, especially after the 10th gen, but I could live with it. The stiffness upgrade is a plus, as is the improved shifting. The loss of HP is more than compensated by the broader torque curve and lighter flywheel. The biggest issue for me is the added size, especially since my kids won't be around soon enough (my older one is in college now). I've always liked small cars and the 10th gen Si is as large as I want to go; I wouldn't mind if it were a little smaller.

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
However, styling is way understated to where it looks like a sport model, no heat seats or auto climate, etc. is a big L. Also overall power seems down as the car is slower than the 10th gen.

I like the 10th gen more and probably would rather buy a 2014/2015 over the new one.

Type R should be good though.
Just to be accurate, it does have auto climate but lost the dual zone.

Donk232

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 civic si-sold, 1999 crv-sold, 2014 crv, 2017 civic si
Country flag
I was swoon by the twin scroll, i-vtec and only gained 50lbs along with my cars inflated value and went as far as reached out to blind purchase a new 22 si, and sat down and thought better of it.
Seems like it's a bit slower but better handling and better overall car. But for me it came down to my 10th gen has a lightweight flywheel and clutch already and tbqh I can't stop considering HFP dampers. I want HFP dampers and I don't want a 11th gen is my final thought.
Sponsored