squelchy451

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 VW GTI (RIP)
Country flag
I've been having a bit of a change in my driving style and what I value most now is (1) manual trans (2) highway ride and (3) engaging/mechanical feel, in that order.

My 3rd gen mazda 3 was alright and I trusted the online reviews. I have never been more dissatisfied with a car. Ended up trading it in last month. Debating between a GTI (quieter, feels more stable on highway) and a Civic Si (probably not as quiet. Dealers won't let me take it on the highway).

Is the Si a 'relaxing' car to drive on the highway? What I mean is, does it track pretty straight (i.e. does the nose feel darty and need your attention to keep it straight) and how is the highway noise? Ride might be stiffer than your regular Civic but I'm willing to live with that. Road noise and a darty nose is what really rubs me the wrong way when I'm on the highway (90% of my driving)
Sponsored

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
I've been having a bit of a change in my driving style and what I value most now is (1) manual trans (2) highway ride and (3) engaging/mechanical feel, in that order.

My 3rd gen mazda 3 was alright and I trusted the online reviews. I have never been more dissatisfied with a car. Ended up trading it in last month. Debating between a GTI (quieter, feels more stable on highway) and a Civic Si (probably not as quiet. Dealers won't let me take it on the highway).

Is the Si a 'relaxing' car to drive on the highway? What I mean is, does it track pretty straight (i.e. does the nose feel darty and need your attention to keep it straight) and how is the highway noise? Ride might be stiffer than your regular Civic but I'm willing to live with that. Road noise and a darty nose is what really rubs me the wrong way when I'm on the highway (90% of my driving)
I drove mine 8hrs one way. Road noise wasn't bad I blast music while driving. It tracks super straight hands off the wheel going 80mph it stays in line.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I can speak on how straight it tracks on the highway. I've got nothing bad to say about that and I've been to Mexico a few times and when no one was around I've topped out 5th gear a few times and it was very stable.

Noise is subjective... Depends on what you're used to but I always have music going on the highway so it's not an issue.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
It’s gonna be a little bit louder than the Mazda 3. But road noise mostly comes from tires. I always thought the Mazda 3 was a quiet car. Then again I only drove my brothers after he put some low road noise ones. The civic si is about feeling the road more. Idk if that turns you off, but it’s going to be louder unless you want to downgrade the mediocre tires it already comes with some lower rating ones. You may be better off getting a Honda Accord if noise is that much of a problem. It’s a little less aerodynamic so less darty noise.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

The vehicle is a great highway cruiser. I've always had some sort of audio playing while I was in the car, so I can't really speak about the road noise. The vehicle does track straight and gets great gas mileage. When you test drove the vehicle, how did you feel about number 3 on your list?

Last edited:

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
It is better than past Civics with road noise, but it is definitely no luxury car. It's the one single thing I would really enjoy from having a more luxury car, but if you play music then it's not bad and generally it's pretty bearable overall.

Last edited:

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
Haven't ever driven a car that was more enjoyable to drive on the highway.

Highways around here have a lot of curves, though.

I haven't spent a lot of time on the freeway, but it's far more relaxing to drive than my Cruze was. Not entirely sure what adds up to that, the road noise isn't terribly different.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
its ok for the first 2 hours or so, but after that i have to pull over and get out to stretch because the seats arent the softest. they werent meant to be comfortable for long highway drives thats for sure. but honestly tjat isnt a complaint from me or anything as i love tye seats. they were designed for sporty driving and are very agressively bolstered which i like.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Noise is subjective, so I'm not going to give an opinion on that. However, I can tell you about the ride qualities. I have a 60 mile round trip to work every day. In my Si Coupe, I'm on D2 lowering springs and the ride is comfortable. A little stiffer than normal, but just fine. In my wife's Si Sedan on stock suspension, the car drives beautifully. Smooth, quiet and a great experience. She's off of work today, so I took her car to work to see how it was and I enjoyed it. :)

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drive from Charlotte, NC to Charleston, Sc fairly frequently which is about 3 hours or so. This is NOT a road car imo. The car tracks perfectly straight but I personally find the seats terribly uncomfortable. The seat cushion is too short in that it doesn’t extend enough towards the backs of the knees and too much lumbar for me. Road noise is pretty high but in large part due to the all season Goodyear’s and Honda’s have always been noisy. If comfort is top priority and frequent highway trips are the norm, I’d spend the extra money and get the gti or something else.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used to commute 120 miles each way three days a week . The si rides mostly quiet aside rough roads and tire noise. With the windows up I listen to the radio at 1/4 volume very comfortably.

Overall, I like the seats a lot. The lumbar is a little lacking, but the bolsters make me smile. It's like my little si is giving me a hug every time I get in.

Gas mileage is phenomenal. Even with a tune, I get 34 mixed and 40 highway mpg.

We use it as our road trip car now over the wife's 08 Accord

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I was disappointed by the amount road noise my Si had when I bought. After a year and a half I put on some Michelin 3+ A/Ss on it and it quieted right down. Road noise is right what I expect a 4 door sedan to be. On long trips I find the seats comfortable. YMMV.
I like the ride better with the Michelin tires. Smoother and quieter. I find that with the Michelins, that the ride smoothness in Sport mode equals the ride without Sport Mode with the Goodyears.

WorldRally17

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si, 2013 Scion FR-S, 2008 Mazda RX-8, 1983 Toyota Supra
Country flag
After just driving from Detroit to St. Augustine, FL I can say that it's generally a pretty good car on long trips. I think it's pretty quiet for a $25k car and doesn't get jostled around too much by wind or anything. My only issue was after 3 or 4 hours my legs started loosing some feeling because of the seats but I usually had to stop for a bathroom break or something by then lol. Also averaging 37mpg throughout the trip is a huge plus and it's a ton of fun when you get off the highway and find some twisties ;)

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
GTI will ride better than the Si, overall. Smoother, Quieter etc. More "bank vault" solidity than the Si has.

I too, found the Si seats a bit too firm and supportive in the wrong spots, but either they are broken in or I am, but all I know is they feel much better now.

I am surpised a dealer won't let you test drive on a highway. That's like saying they are not in the business of selling. Keep trying till you find someone willing.

All of this is subjective. YOU are the one who has to live with your decisions (good or bad), so try one out for yourself!

cwcaesar

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I drive 90% on the highway, and this is easily the best highway driving car that I have ever owned. Not too darty in the nose. Tracks straight. Tires are a little noisy, but low volume on the radio makes this a non-issue. and get around 44-45 mpg in purely highway driving. Overall, I think you will be pleased with this car on the highway.
Sponsored