Autolink671

First Name
Benyu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi Guys, I have a 2018 and just bought the car from a dealership with 32k miles and noticed the car had horrible passenger front wheel hop on acceleration or any loss of traction(wet roads). I also notice the car has a skipping or dragging feeling on full turns in either direction. I brought my car in to Honda on numerous occasions and they consistently tell me that it’s normal to have this. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
OEM tires? How much tread wear? I just got a new 2021 with Continentals, and I can't wait until they're worn enough to put on Michelin Pilot Sports like I had on my previous Si.

quitethechoi

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
That's The LSD you're experiencing. Thought I was having problems with my car too, until I read around these forums and some Facebook groups.

You're noticing it in the wet moreso because the tires of less traction so the wheel is hopping more due to LSD.

OP
OP
Autolink671

Autolink671

First Name
Benyu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Interesting. Would you recommend a lower dogbone mount insert to reduce the crazy hop?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Interesting. Would you recommend a lower dogbone mount insert to reduce the crazy hop?
Go get a Perrin rear motor mount insert for $30 dollars - problem solved. HIGHLY suggest using a lot of O-ring plumbers rubber lube in there when you put it together. I did that and my RMM is hardly noticeable unless at a light, stopped, with the AC blasting and it will occasionally be a bit more rumbly due to the RMM but nothing overwhelming.

The other bit is normal as well, car feels 'odd' in high speed u-turns due to the LSD. Enjoy the car, highly likely you have a solid Type R they are pretty tough bud :)

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Solid I’ll do that
We have both the Perrin Rear Motor Mount insert as well as the Whiteline Rear Motor Mount Insert in stock and ready to go! You can find the Perrin mount here: https://unity-performance.com/products/perrin-rmm-insert-2017-civic-type-r
And the Whiteline one here: https://unity-performance.com/products/whiteline-rear-motor-mount-bushing

In terms of feel, the Whiteline is what we could have expected as OEM part if it was ever offered by Honda because there is minimal added NVH. Perrin Inserts are one step below the softest full RMM, they fill in the gaps in the OEM mount pretty well.

I do recommend the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit, it really made my Type R feel incredibly planted coming out of corners, making it truly feel like I am getting more power to the ground than ever before. You can find the Anti Lift Kit here: https://unity-performance.com/products/whiteline-anti-lift-kit
Reach out if you have any questions :)

Last edited:

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
The turning thing... Ackerman effect?
Interesting stab at it...
Could very well be and he is feeling the slip angle friction in pulses in coordination with the LSD influence.

I had a long 180 sweeper I had to take just after shifting into 2nd, at a Porsche autoX event and I felt some interesting effects in the steering while I spun the two front tires through most of the corner. (impatient and just goofing)

As I swept through small variances in steering angle (while spinning on purpose) I received bites of resistance to steering change followed by allowance then resistance again. In full loose traction with steering angle changing, the LSD likes to set at an angle and work through that static angle until unengaged, then willfully reengage the next.

In my observation anyway

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most mechanical LSD will tend to bind(especially geared type) especially in tight turning situation. The purpose of the LSD is to tie the 2 wheels together to aid traction but that normally comes at the expense of the wheel free-wheeling on the tighter radius wheel so it kinda gets dragged through the turn. On clutch type you can play with preload and ramp to make it behave like an open diff with no torque input or just reduce the lock up with no power but geared type doesn't have that kind of freedom. And even then a lot of the time you won't setup the clutch diff like that since they might have other overriding concerns like off throttle stability.

Drive any GM performance cars like Camaro or something you feel that a lot too. With fat rear tires and typically clutch type diff they tend to make a lot of noise at parking lot maneuvers....

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Can I just say that ive owned 3 FWD vehicles, 2 equipped with OEM LSD, and 1 with Quaife, and I have never experienced binding, crow hopping, or wheel dragging on any of the U turns I have done.

I would be more inclined to say that you should get your alignment checked first to make sure your toe isnt out of wack or some reason. This is the first instance ive heard of LSD causing this issue on a FWD car, ever, doesnt mean its not the case but it is definitely surprising to hear.

OP
OP
Autolink671

Autolink671

First Name
Benyu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I got a wheel alignment and to know avail the “problem” still exists.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I got a wheel alignment and to know avail the “problem” still exists.
Interesting. Like some other people have mentioned, the wheel hop under hard acceleration, especially when launching from a dead stop is normal Ive had that happen in multiple cars due to wheel/tire size, but Ive never had issues with it while turning. The hopping in a straight line should be solved with a stiffer RMM as mentioned earlier, but not sure on the turning issue if your alignment is good.

OP
OP
Autolink671

Autolink671

First Name
Benyu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Interesting. Like some other people have mentioned, the wheel hop under hard acceleration, especially when launching from a dead stop is normal Ive had that happen in multiple cars due to wheel/tire size, but Ive never had issues with it while turning. The hopping in a straight line should be solved with a stiffer RMM as mentioned earlier, but not sure on the turning issue if your alignment is good.
The tech at Honda said it was normal but it just a strange feeling for it to be considered normal.
Sponsored