Horrendous rhythmic chirping noise

willwest43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boost Blue 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I bought my 2020 BB FK8 about 3 months ago now and almost since day one and it has been driving me crazy! She has been into the shop 3 times now and the tech has yet to pinpoint the issue.

So. This is a rhythmic chirping noise Similar to a RWD car with a bad U-joint. This only happens when driving and not stopped which makes me believe its drivetrain related. A lot of people who I have talked to about this say "It's just a rock stuck in your rotor or dust shield." I know for a fact that it is not simply a rock. A rock stuck in a rotor or dust shield doesn't sound like a bird (in most cases) with the Type R. It is 100% NOT the brakes either because this sound is audible during driving and changes with vehicle speed (Rythym increases with acceleration or decel). The brakes are not applied when I hear this sound as when the sound appears, it does not go away unless I stop for some time. This sound usually appears after maybe 10-20 minutes of driving once things start warming up. I do not think this is a wheel bearing or brakes. It does not appear to be coming from a certain side either. It gets louder on a side that has a large object ie. truck or barrier.

I have tested all 3 driving modes when I hear the sound and it doesn't change at all. I have tried flooring it in reverse and slamming on the brakes, but that too has no worked.

All 3 times she has been in the shop, the tech has not been able to do anything except for taking the brakes apart to check for any debris or anything. Which there was non. Hence my shear belief that there is no rock involved. The rotors are also perfectly fine. No damages or grooves on either side. No brakes clips or dust shield rubbing against anything. Here is where the story gets good and I get even more pissed. The tech called Honda Techline for help and they literally said (refer to the line of text in the photo) "customers not driving their cars hard enough" and say that its a normal sound with the carbon-ceramic brakes when the brakes are applied even though I stated VERY clearly the first time through that this issue is not caused by the brakes or under braking. I drive this car like its supposed to be. Not on the track though yet. She's also bone stock.

This seems to be a 2020 issue because the group of Rs I roll with have 2017s-19s and do not have this issue. I posted on an FK8 Facebook group and a few other 2020 owners have stated they have this issue too. My R just rolled over 5300 kilometers (3300mi roughly) Bought brand new at 16km (9mi)

If anyone, ANYONE has had this issue and had it fixed, PLEEEEEEASE share your secrets.

Videos:

This video shows proof that this happens under normal driving and NOT under braking.
https://mega.nz/file/5EViSQZI#m3iIbRyJAomViYbH1P9rWt7ilOA5AAAVUFPuyreGIJw

This video just shows what it sounds like.
https://mega.nz/file/kREwnaZC#Ef98v0pzKs8CdGbV7J6bGlpIwZo4Q2xzhGVhNsjTv6Q

Honda Civic 10th gen Horrendous rhythmic chirping noise 116586914_287350162521184_717433057728257190_n (1)
Sponsored

Last edited:

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Haha typical dealer reply. "its normal" for this car

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I bought my 2020 BB FK8 about 3 months ago now and almost since day one and it has been driving me crazy! She has been into the shop 3 times now and the tech has yet to pinpoint the issue.

So. This is a rhythmic chirping noise Similar to a RWD car with a bad U-joint. This only happens when driving and not stopped which makes me believe its drivetrain related. A lot of people who I have talked to about this say "It's just a rock stuck in your rotor or dust shield." I know for a fact that it is not simply a rock. A rock stuck in a rotor or dust shield doesn't sound like a bird (in most cases) with the Type R. It is 100% NOT the brakes either because this sound is audible during driving and changes with vehicle speed (Rythym increases with acceleration or decel). The brakes are not applied when I hear this sound as when the sound appears, it does not go away unless I stop for some time. This sound usually appears after maybe 10-20 minutes of driving once things start warming up. I do not think this is a wheel bearing or brakes. It does not appear to be coming from a certain side either. It gets louder on a side that has a large object ie. truck or barrier.

I have tested all 3 driving modes when I hear the sound and it doesn't change at all. I have tried flooring it in reverse and slamming on the brakes, but that too has no worked.

All 3 times she has been in the shop, the tech has not been able to do anything except for taking the brakes apart to check for any debris or anything. Which there was non. Hence my shear belief that there is no rock involved. The rotors are also perfectly fine. No damages or grooves on either side. No brakes clips or dust shield rubbing against anything. Here is where the story gets good and I get even more pissed. The tech called Honda Techline for help and they literally said (refer to the line of text in the photo) "customers not driving their cars hard enough" and say that its a normal sound with the carbon-ceramic brakes when the brakes are applied even though I stated VERY clearly the first time through that this issue is not caused by the brakes or under braking. I drive this car like its supposed to be. Not on the track though yet. She's also bone stock.

This seems to be a 2020 issue because the group of Rs I roll with have 2017s-19s and do not have this issue. I posted on an FK8 Facebook group and a few other 2020 owners have stated they have this issue too. My R just rolled over 5300 kilometers (3300mi roughly) Bought brand new at 16km (9mi)

If anyone, ANYONE has had this issue and had it fixed, PLEEEEEEASE share your secrets.

Videos:

This video shows proof that this happens under normal driving and NOT under braking.
Maybe the rotor is warped?

OP
OP
willwest43

willwest43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe the rotor is warped?
Like I said, the brakes have no unusual damage or wear. Plus the brake pedal and brakes feel just fine. No unusual feeling in the pedal consistent with a wrapped rotor.

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
A lot of people who I have talked to about this say "It's just a rock stuck in your rotor or dust shield." I know for a fact that it is not simply a rock. A rock stuck in a rotor or dust shield doesn't sound like a bird (in most cases) with the Type R. It is 100% NOT the brakes either because this sound is audible during driving and changes with vehicle speed (Rythym increases with acceleration or decel). The brakes are not applied when I hear this sound as when the sound appears, it does not go away unless I stop for some time.
Have you actually inspected to make sure there isn't a rock stuck between the rotor and brake shield, or are you just using the reasoning above to make that assumption? I ask because based on the reasons listed, it sounds like you may not understand the sound and the cause of the noise being describing.

1. The noise it makes is caused by the rotor and brake shield being connected by debris. The sound this makes will vary, but it essentially makes a little record player and amplifies the vibration through the debris into the brake shield. Typically causing a squeaking or chirping sound.

2. It's the brake rotor rotation that causes the noise. Because the rotor revolves along with the wheel, the sound will occur anytime you are moving and will change with vehicle speed.

3. Again, because it's the brake rotor rotation causing the noise and not the pads/caliper, it is not at all tied to actually using the brakes or pressing the brake pedal.

I'm not at all trying to say this is the only explaination, and it does sound a bit different than when I've had the issue. I can't imagine what would make that noise and not be coming from a specific corner, other than maybe something running on the serpentine belt, and in that case it would be tied to RPM rather than speed. If it does it at slower speeds, I'd try to have someone outside the car see if they can hear it and pinpoint the location.

Did the tech actually remove the rotors and inspect behind them? It's possible you got a small piece of something like asphalt wedged in there enough that it could stick to the brake shield even after removing and reinstalling the rotors.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/clanking-tapping-sound-when-in-reverse-video.14131/post-683490

This post shows a great picture of where you'd want to look. I'd take each wheel off and try to go around it with a good flashlight and see if you can find anything.

OP
OP
willwest43

willwest43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have you actually inspected to make sure there isn't a rock stuck between the rotor and brake shield, or are you just using the reasoning above to make that assumption? I ask because based on the reasons listed, it sounds like you may not understand the sound and the cause of the noise being describing.

1. The noise it makes is caused by the rotor and brake shield being connected by debris. The sound this makes will vary, but it essentially makes a little record player and amplifies the vibration through the debris into the brake shield. Typically causing a squeaking or chirping sound.

2. It's the brake rotor rotation that causes the noise. Because the rotor revolves along with the wheel, the sound will occur anytime you are moving and will change with vehicle speed.

3. Again, because it's the brake rotor rotation causing the noise and not the pads/caliper, it is not at all tied to actually using the brakes or pressing the brake pedal.

I'm not at all trying to say this is the only explaination, and it does sound a bit different than when I've had the issue. I can't imagine what would make that noise and not be coming from a specific corner, other than maybe something running on the serpentine belt, and in that case it would be tied to RPM rather than speed. If it does it at slower speeds, I'd try to have someone outside the car see if they can hear it and pinpoint the location.

Did the tech actually remove the rotors and inspect behind them? It's possible you got a small piece of something like asphalt wedged in there enough that it could stick to the brake shield even after removing and reinstalling the rotors.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/clanking-tapping-sound-when-in-reverse-video.14131/post-683490

This post shows a great picture of where you'd want to look. I'd take each wheel off and try to go around it with a good flashlight and see if you can find anything.
The tech said he took the calipers off to inspect for any damage or foreign debris but found non but I honestly don't know what to believe. This is the first time I've really had an issue with a brand new car. I mean I had a leaky valve cover gasket on my 19 Si but that was about it.

If it was indeed a rock or debris, then why does it only make itself known after 10-20 minutes of driving?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Something is expanding with heat. If you have access to a frame-type lift, drive it until you hear the "chirp" and then immediately put it on a lift and rotate the front wheels by hand or power to see if you can isolate the cause. Most of us would bet on it being something touching the brake rotor heat- shield.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Something is expanding with heat. If you have access to a frame-type lift drive it until you hear the "chirp" and then immediately put it on a lift and rotate the front wheels by hand or power to see if you can isolate the cause. Most of us would bet on it being something touching the rotor heat- shield.
I was writing the same thing at the same time as you. :)

Every time you brake, the rotor gets hotter. It makes the brake pads and the caliper hot, too. After driving for a while the metal expands. What it is rubbing on, I don't know.

There was another thread this week where the brake clip was loose and moved out of position and was making noise...

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@tacthecat and @calonzo both hit the nail on the head. If it's only after you drive for a bit it's something that's getting hot.

It definitely sounds like something rubbing. Since it's tied to your speed you know it's between the front wheels and the trans, or rear wheels and the hub.

In the vid it's noticable at a very low speed. I bet if you get it warmed up to where it's making the noise and get it up in the air, you can quickly determine which corner it's coming from.

Hope you get it figured out. I'd be bummed if my brand new car was doing that.

La_Flame

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag

Videos:

https://mega.nz/file/5EViSQZI#m3iIbRyJAomViYbH1P9rWt7ilOA5AAAVUFPuyreGIJw

This video just shows what it sounds like.
https://mega.nz/file/kREwnaZC#Ef98v0pzKs8CdGbV7J6bGlpIwZo4Q2xzhGVhNsjTv6Q

116586914_287350162521184_717433057728257190_n (1).jpg
I posted something similar recently, They are unable to find the cause of it yet. Maybe a recall soon to come?

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also, it just occurred to me that the 2020 get the new two piece brakes. Maybe it's something going on with those?

YO_AD2IAN

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Add me to the list of 2020s with this issue. My car has been in twice. The tech I’m working with is a friend of a friend and he’s been at it since Thursday. Last I heard he was switching around all the parts to see if the noise follows. I truly think the design is flawed and a recall or something should happen.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Add me to the list of 2020s with this issue. My car has been in twice. The tech I’m working with is a friend of a friend and he’s been at it since Thursday. Last I heard he was switching around all the parts to see if the noise follows. I truly think the design is flawed and a recall or something should happen.
Was he able to pinpoint the noise coming from the brakes?

OP
OP
willwest43

willwest43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also, it just occurred to me that the 2020 get the new two piece brakes. Maybe it's something going on with those?
That was one of my original thoughts and it still in the back on my head.
Sponsored