OP
willwest43

willwest43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boost Blue 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Was he able to pinpoint the noise coming from the brakes?
Not for me. He checked for rocks or foreign debris and found non. No damage to the rotors or pads either.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Not for me. He checked for rocks or foreign debris and found non. No damage to the rotors or pads either.
Sorry, I didn't mean did he pinpoint the cause. I meant was able to pinpoint which wheel the noise was coming from, and if so, was it coming from the area of the brakes?

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
I had a very similar noise on mine as well, dealer couldn't replicate the sound. I finally took my pads out of the front and found that the "retainer" had become partially unclipped from the caliper bracket and had drifted sideways enough to just barely contact the rotor and make the noise. Everything appeared to be normal at a glance and this would be very easy to miss for sure. Ever since I moved it back and reclipped it, I haven't had the noise come back. It's the part circled in red.
Honda Civic 10th gen Horrendous rhythmic chirping noise Capture.PNG

Last edited:

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
I posted something similar recently, They are unable to find the cause of it yet. Maybe a recall soon to come?
You won't see a recall unless they're at risk of losing millions in a class action. Or it's a well proven safety risk. Otherwise the standard industry response is - if I may paraphrase "Piss poor quality is the industry standard, if you have a problem it is considered normal. You are welcome to trade your car in at a bum ripping rate and get the new tech gimmick that will break faster than the last one, all at a cost to you."

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You won't see a recall unless they're at risk of losing millions in a class action. Or it's a well proven safety risk. Otherwise the standard industry response is - if I may paraphrase "Piss poor quality is the industry standard, if you have a problem it is considered normal. You are welcome to trade your car in at a bum ripping rate and get the new tech gimmick that will break faster than the last one, all at a cost to you."
Yeah, the world is just going to hell in a hand basket. In my times such things wouldn't happen. Industry standards were much higher.;)

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
Yeah, the world is just going to hell in a hand basket. In my times such things wouldn't happen. Industry standards were much higher.;)
Well, the standards weren't higher they were in fact low but paired with low standards was low prices and easy repairs.

Today we have low standards, high price and they are even going as far as to prevent you from even being able to scan your own car. Current FCA cars won't let you STAR scan unless you are connected to them and are an "authorized" repair centre.

The car industry has gotten really really bad. I used to want a nicer new car and now I'm back in a basic as possible econo box civic because I hate the industry today.

Literally causes me pain watching people drool over silly tech and new colours. What the actual F happened to car guys and culture?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Are you suggesting recalls for non-safety items? TSBs would cover significant non-safety stuff if there were enough vehicles with the same issue. Otherwise the 3-36 warranty should apply to most other/one-off issues. Maybe it's time to drag up the Lemon Law for the OPs issue.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Can you give more details?
Apparently, the brake hardware - the stainless steel that the pads ride on in the caliper - has a tendency to shift due to not being stamped with tight enough tolerances. Some people experience a chirping when turning one direction.

I've had it come and go on my Si over the course of the last two weeks. Harder braking seems to reseat it.

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
Apparently, the brake hardware - the stainless steel that the pads ride on in the caliper - has a tendency to shift due to not being stamped with tight enough tolerances. Some people experience a chirping when turning one direction.

I've had it come and go on my Si over the course of the last two weeks. Harder braking seems to reseat it.
^This

It's the part I have circled above.

ah gong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I bought my 2020 BB FK8 about 3 months ago now and almost since day one and it has been driving me crazy! She has been into the shop 3 times now and the tech has yet to pinpoint the issue.

So. This is a rhythmic chirping noise Similar to a RWD car with a bad U-joint. This only happens when driving and not stopped which makes me believe its drivetrain related. A lot of people who I have talked to about this say "It's just a rock stuck in your rotor or dust shield." I know for a fact that it is not simply a rock. A rock stuck in a rotor or dust shield doesn't sound like a bird (in most cases) with the Type R. It is 100% NOT the brakes either because this sound is audible during driving and changes with vehicle speed (Rythym increases with acceleration or decel). The brakes are not applied when I hear this sound as when the sound appears, it does not go away unless I stop for some time. This sound usually appears after maybe 10-20 minutes of driving once things start warming up. I do not think this is a wheel bearing or brakes. It does not appear to be coming from a certain side either. It gets louder on a side that has a large object ie. truck or barrier.

I have tested all 3 driving modes when I hear the sound and it doesn't change at all. I have tried flooring it in reverse and slamming on the brakes, but that too has no worked.

All 3 times she has been in the shop, the tech has not been able to do anything except for taking the brakes apart to check for any debris or anything. Which there was non. Hence my shear belief that there is no rock involved. The rotors are also perfectly fine. No damages or grooves on either side. No brakes clips or dust shield rubbing against anything. Here is where the story gets good and I get even more pissed. The tech called Honda Techline for help and they literally said (refer to the line of text in the photo) "customers not driving their cars hard enough" and say that its a normal sound with the carbon-ceramic brakes when the brakes are applied even though I stated VERY clearly the first time through that this issue is not caused by the brakes or under braking. I drive this car like its supposed to be. Not on the track though yet. She's also bone stock.

This seems to be a 2020 issue because the group of Rs I roll with have 2017s-19s and do not have this issue. I posted on an FK8 Facebook group and a few other 2020 owners have stated they have this issue too. My R just rolled over 5300 kilometers (3300mi roughly) Bought brand new at 16km (9mi)

If anyone, ANYONE has had this issue and had it fixed, PLEEEEEEASE share your secrets.

Videos:

This video shows proof that this happens under normal driving and NOT under braking.
https://mega.nz/file/5EViSQZI#m3iIbRyJAomViYbH1P9rWt7ilOA5AAAVUFPuyreGIJw

This video just shows what it sounds like.
https://mega.nz/file/kREwnaZC#Ef98v0pzKs8CdGbV7J6bGlpIwZo4Q2xzhGVhNsjTv6Q

116586914_287350162521184_717433057728257190_n (1).jpg
I recently experience the same thing as u.check everything at front brake,rotor n look fine.n i end up found out its a rock at rear between rotor n heat shield.........just shake the rear heat shield n rock fall down.

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would check for that rock, personally. I took it to the dealer, they said they cleared it. I still heard a faint occasional one. I took off the wheel and checked it myself and found a rock between the rotor and dust shield. It was the perfect size to get stuck. Ended up using chopsticks to get it out lol

Edit: also, sometimes I could force the sound by purposely doing a hard turn.

d1390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I have the exact same issue on mine 2017 fk8.
Only thing I can think of is that my rear pads got replaced 2 months ago.

Took out the wheel and had a look around the dust shield and flexed it but the was no to rock. Tried to spin it but can't spin itquick enough. The chirping comes on at 2k rpm and chirps quicker when gaining speed.

Can't figure it out..

ah gong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I have the exact same issue on mine 2017 fk8.
Only thing I can think of is that my rear pads got replaced 2 months ago.

Took out the wheel and had a look around the dust shield and flexed it but the was no to rock. Tried to spin it but can't spin itquick enough. The chirping comes on at 2k rpm and chirps quicker when gaining speed.

Can't figure it out..
My case is i didnt replace the rear rotor and only replaced the pads after 30k km mileage used.i have this issue is coz of the rear rotor been used for 30k km so the rotor have the lip at outside part and inside part of the rotor.once the rotor get hot n expanded will touched the pads "even u dont put on brake" n create the noise.now all problem solved after i replaced the rear rotors.
For the OP i think his case is coz. the rotor is warped with slightly bent the rotor.so same situation is rotor will touch the pad even not put on brake.
Sponsored