Hooking up a hidden toggle switch to disable push to start button... and still be able to remote start.

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ā€˜17 Hatch EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I was sitting here thinking, how can I pervent someone steeling my car or maybe hijacking my remote signal...

Then it came to me! What if I install a toggle switch before the push start button? The car can still be remote started but without finding the hidden toggle switch the car would just die out when putting it into gear...
Could you imagine the adrenaline and there face how happy they would be to get the car started then the car dies when they put it in gear lmao.

I'm kinda interested in this idea and would be interested in hearing your thoughts on how to implement it.

NOTE: I do not want to do the fuel pump route because I want to be able to remote start in winter.
When these cars are started remotely, if someone tries to move the shifter without the key in the car, it already does turn the engine off...at least my 2017 hatch does. If not, you can easily splice a switch in series with the input wire or even the output wire. Thereā€™s no difference except that the output wire option would cause the start/stop switch to light but would not turn the engine on. This is the easiest and cheapest option
Sponsored

OP
OP
ricklndn

ricklndn

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
When these cars are started remotely, if someone tries to move the shifter without the key in the car, it already does turn the engine off...at least my 2017 hatch does. If not, you can easily splice a switch in series with the input wire or even the output wire. Thereā€™s no difference except that the output wire option would cause the start/stop switch to light but would not turn the engine on. This is the easiest and cheapest option
My car is a 2020 so it would do the same..
I have been hearing more and more of people stealing cars are using some type of computer that can copy your remote signal and store it for later .. how it's done exactly I'm not sure.. I just know people are getting smarter

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ā€˜17 Hatch EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My car is a 2020 so it would do the same..
I have been hearing more and more of people stealing cars are using some type of computer that can copy your remote signal and store it for later .. how it's done exactly I'm not sure.. I just know people are getting smarter
Ah, okay so I think I understand what you mean now. So with relay attacking, they trick your car into thinking the fob is in their hand. At this point, unless you completely disable remote system...you canā€™t do a lot to stop this. The only thing you can really do is keep your fob in like a metal box, that would cut down on its signal so they arenā€™t able to steal it
Sponsored