Cspencer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R, Lotus Elise Turbo K20
Country flag
Curious... I know they're not quite over the turbo area where most of the heat is generated, but has anybody just thought cutting vents where the 4 “recessed holes” are in the skeleton then place mesh in the open area? Would this help in any way?
Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents C1BE84EA-286E-4955-869A-707F3591C15F
Sponsored

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Curious... I know they're not quite over the turbo area where most of the heat is generated, but has anybody just thought cutting vents where the 4 “recessed holes” are in the skeleton then place mesh in the open area? Would this help in any way?
C1BE84EA-286E-4955-869A-707F3591C15F.jpeg
Yeah, the OP thought of this idea on the first page of this thread. When done correctly (think louvers and creating a low pressure zone for them to extract air) they could help. There are two ways to look at venting though, the first is by simply removing hot air out of the engine bay to reduce heatsoak and second is to focus on specifically pulling air out from behind the radiator which is right next to the turbo. Those side vents being a little further back would mostly help with the former, imo. Heatsoak, while an issue on these cars, isn't the big issue, it's overheating from water temps getting too high. A properly designed vent above the turbo/right behind and above the radiator is where you'll see the most effectiveness against overheating.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
I was referring to the grille part of the hood scoop, not the front grille. ?

And @Learn2turn , your version is actually letting air in and creating a high pressure zone in your engine bay, thereby decreasing how well your radiator works. Sure, you'll see heat radiate out of it from a stop, but it's not pulling hot air out at speed.

@JESFromASC 's design is theoretically a little better since the entire area isn't opened up and the scoop still feeds through the aluminum air duct and out the fenders.
Your assumption is incorrect, air does escape at speed and my scoop also still allows air to the duct. (which effectively goes nowhere)
I have also opened other engine bay air flow outlets, reducing pressure and enhancing air movement. Car stays cooler after mods, used to suffer heatsoak before.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
C1BE84EA-286E-4955-869A-707F3591C15F.jpeg
Yes it would help. It would be tough to make it look nice though.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Your assumption is incorrect, air does escape at speed and my scoop also still allows air to the duct. (which effectively goes nowhere)
I have also opened other engine bay air flow outlets, reducing pressure and enhancing air movement. Car stays cooler after mods, used to suffer heatsoak before.
If the duct is still in place then I can see some air escaping then getting caught back into the scoop then escaping through the duct, but hot air is not just escaping straight out of the vent at speed. And yeah, if you have other airflow mods then I'm not surprised you're seeing less heatsoak.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If the duct is still in place then I can see some air escaping then getting caught back into the scoop then escaping through the duct, but hot air is not just escaping straight out of the vent at speed. And yeah, if you have other airflow mods then I'm not surprised you're seeing less heatsoak.
Yes, I believe it is a turbulent tumble in that area. I may change it in the future but for now it does well enough with the bumper vents opened, cowl venting and belly pan removed to negate the heat.

I do have more tricks up my sleeve including an extra Ebay grille to mod and install and complete lack of fear when it comes to cutting the car up.

Summer is coming... :)

Teach-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red CTR #22518; 2017 Golf R
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents FFADA9A6-E219-4608-B932-2E871F309EBD

wish there was something like the Kamanari hoods for the WRX available

Si Stuart

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe. 1969 Karmann Ghia.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FFADA9A6-E219-4608-B932-2E871F309EBD.jpeg

wish there was something like the Kamanari hoods for the WRX available
If you're looking for a similar concept, seibon has a hood for the base civic (you'd just have to relocate the hood latch to make it match the R)
Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents 20200603_152551

CVTKiller

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-T CVT
Country flag
This thread has me thinking of some how getting a hold or making vents that open and shut electronically...... Im always looking for a new project. any thoughts?

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
This thread has me thinking of some how getting a hold or making vents that open and shut electronically...... Im always looking for a new project. any thoughts?
I'd probably start with a door or window actuator. They usually generate a good amount of force with low(er) current.

CVTKiller

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-T CVT
Country flag
Found two hoods, Not sure if eaither are correct fit for Non SI sedan. i gather from the forum i would have relocate latch, but Im leaning towards the black one A: for Price B: I like the cut.
any thoughts?
which one would you pick?

Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents E61EA8B4-1CA2-49C4-9DD1-C8FCF6A5916B

Honda Civic 10th gen Hood Vents 99EDDBA2-F383-4F13-9913-586AEE5871AB

CVTKiller

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-T CVT
Country flag
I'd probably start with a door or window actuator. They usually generate a good amount of force with low(er) current.
Thats brilliant. I could run a line to cabin and figure out placement, easy enough, until i start the job, Then thing go array.... lol but Im gonna try it.

CVTKiller

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-T CVT
Country flag
Found two hoods, Not sure if eaither are correct fit for Non SI sedan. i gather from the forum i would have relocate latch, but Im leaning towards the black one A: for Price B: I like the cut.
any thoughts?
which one would you pick?

E61EA8B4-1CA2-49C4-9DD1-C8FCF6A5916B.png

99EDDBA2-F383-4F13-9913-586AEE5871AB.png
hahahah im so stupid the black on is a Rear window hahahahahahaahahahahahahaha