Hood paint chipping

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Hi guys,

I have 2017 civic hb in wop. I had the car for 36k km and already developed 6 paint chips on the hood. I have a ton more on the bumper but since it's plastic I don't have much care for it. The hood is metal so it would rust which would be more concerning for me.

Anyone else get a ton of paint chips? I would say I drove 30k of those km on hwys.
Sponsored

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Hi guys,

I have 2017 civic hb in wop. I had the car for 36k km and already developed 6 paint chips on the hood. I have a ton more on the bumper but since it's plastic I don't have much care for it. The hood is metal so it would rust which would be more concerning for me.

Anyone else get a ton of paint chips? I would say I drove 30k of those km on hwys.
Paint chips are going happen on a daily driver.

OP
OP
LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Paint chips are going happen on a daily driver.
What's the best way to patch them up to prevent rust? I have a touch up pen but it always looks silver when it drys even though it's a wop pen. What would you suggest?

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
What's the best way to patch them up to prevent rust? I have a touch up pen but it always looks silver when it drys even though it's a wop pen. What would you suggest?
If it's just down to the primer touch it up. If its oxidized clean it up to bare metal than touch it up.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi guys,

2 small chips on the hood and one on the windshield in 20k km. I filled all of them, it's almost impossible to spot.

OP
OP
LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
2 small chips on the hood and one on the windshield in 20k km. I filled all of them, it's almost impossible to spot.
What did you use to touch them up? Mine all look obvious after I had touched them up using the wop pen and toothpick

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
19k on my CBP Si, and what seems like a thousand paint chips. I think there’s only 8-10, but it seems like so many more. I bought the paint touch up pen from the local Honda dealer. Works ok, but it seems like they look worse after I’m done. Damn this thin paint! Also, I’m an idiot for getting CBP....

OP
OP
LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
19k on my CBP Si, and what seems like a thousand paint chips. I think there’s only 8-10, but it seems like so many more. I bought the paint touch up pen from the local Honda dealer. Works ok, but it seems like they look worse after I’m done. Damn this thin paint! Also, I’m an idiot for getting CBP....
Yeah mine come out silver there must be another way to fill up the chips. My dealer offered a cbp lx hatch with Honda sensing and I refused and waiting 3 extra months for the wop lol

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When you use those pens... you've got to shake the bejesus out of them before you use them. I'd had 3 Honda's and had 3 pens... all the ones from Honda. It never looked right until you shake them for 1/2-1 minutes straight. Even then... it may take some more effort (ie let the paint in the crack spill over and then do some blending) to get it looking better. If the paint looks 'off' though colorwise though, my vote is not mixed thoroughly.

Toothpicks work wonders for me. To love a Honda is to love a thing you know you'll be obsessing over a chipped or outright failed paint job at some point.

Last edited:

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When you use those pens... you've got to shake the bejesus out of them before you use them. I'd had 3 Honda's and had 3 pens... add the ones from Honda. It never looked right until you shake them for 1/2-1 minutes straight.
WHOA...ok, then I've been doing it waaaaay wrong. I've been shaking it for 30 seconds or so thinking that was enough. Thanks for the tip! As much as I love my Si, I do occasionally miss my Jeep and this is a prime example. I drove the Jeep on the same commute for longer than the Si and never had a single paint chip (and took it off roading several times).

That being said, I washed the Si a few days ago and amazingly it's still relatively clean....and I can't stop staring at it :)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
WHOA...ok, then I've been doing it waaaaay wrong. I've been shaking it for 30 seconds or so thinking that was enough. Thanks for the tip! As much as I love my Si, I do occasionally miss my Jeep and this is a prime example. I drove the Jeep on the same commute for longer than the Si and never had a single paint chip (and took it off roading several times).

That being said, I washed the Si a few days ago and amazingly it's still relatively clean....and I can't stop staring at it :)
Yep... do a little test where you shake and put a dab on a piece of paper... shake... another dab... shake... etc. The color will richen up for a while. The first Honda I had had a... I don't know... mystic topaz...? Basically a sparkely brown. My initial touchups looked kinda bland and stood out. Same with the black '15. It looked... just off.

You shake longer than you think you oughta and all of a sudden, the color will richen up and look good. I use some super fine sandpaper wrapped around the eraser end of a pencil a day or two later after the paint has hardened to smooth any raised spots. If it's sunken... I put a dab more paint. Any sunken in or raised spots will stand out bad, even if the color matches well.

This is by no means advice from a pro... but it's what I've done and, at a glance... once waxed up... it's not noticable. I'm got an eye for detail and if I really am looking for the spots.. I can just make them out, but it's the best I can do with my level of equipment/experience/care factor. The vehicles still look ok and the metal is well protected. With that... make sure the area is clean. I use isopropyl on my intended spot after using the 'cleaning tip' part of the pen before applying. The tip leaves a whitish residue otherwise.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What did you use to touch them up? Mine all look obvious after I had touched them up using the wop pen and toothpick
single stage chinese touch up pen. It takes time an a few tries to get right and the result depends on the color too, my cosmic blue is hard to keep clean but strangely hides touch ups much much better than my old white car.

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it makes you feel any better, I bought the CBP LX Coupe 1 year ago, swore that I would never buy a black car again. Then I sold it and bought a new CBP Si Coupe lol. I'll never learn my lesson...

CBP just looks too good when its clean. I am going to be smarter about it this time and get a clear bra on the front.

iLLNESS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 EG k20a2, 2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi guys,

I have about 25k on my 2017 and I've recently noticed I have about a dozen paint chips on the car. The first was on my rear wheel fender, then two on the door, and now about 8 or 9 on the hood. It's got me wondering if the paint is shit. I've never had this many paint chips on a car in it's life time, let alone in 1 year of owning a brand new one. Seems a bit off to me.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have about 25k on my 2017 and I've recently noticed I have about a dozen paint chips on the car. The first was on my rear wheel fender, then two on the door, and now about 8 or 9 on the hood. It's got me wondering if the paint is shit. I've never had this many paint chips on a car in it's life time, let alone in 1 year of owning a brand new one. Seems a bit off to me.
Exactly why I bit the bullet and had PPF done on all forward facing surfaces.
Sponsored