• Total voters

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hello fellow Si owners
Was wondering what people are running Hondata or Ktuner I know both are very good just stuck between the two
Sponsored

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
KTuner with TSP Stage 1 :drive:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
No poll needed. I guarantee KTuner will handily win the poll here at CivicX. Hondata is good no doubt but KTuner has a few things that put it over the top. And I'm not a "Hondata sucks" KTuner fanboy by any means. I enjoyed my time with Hondata but currently own a V2 KTuner.

KTuner has better customer service overall. I've experienced that first hand. KTuner has a wider range of available base tunes although Hondata does have quite a few specific tunes for various intakes. The V2 is the only tuning solution with a 5" touchscreen although the $449 V1.2 can basically do the same things (laptop needed). On the other hand, Hondata does offer the only CARB legal tuner but that version has limited tuning capability.

What puts KTuner ahead though is the on the fly tune switching. Being able to switch between 3 different maps in seconds is ridiculously cool. :thumbsup:I also like how easy it is to do boost by gear with the Quick BBG settings.

Having said that, either brand will give you a huge uptick in performance over stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GlahdoSI

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
No poll needed. I guarantee KTuner will handily win the poll here at CivicX. Hondata is good no doubt but KTuner has a few things that put it over the top. And I'm not a "Hondata sucks" KTuner fanboy by any means. I enjoyed my time with Hondata but currently own a V2 KTuner.

KTuner has better customer service overall. I've experienced that first hand. KTuner has a wider range of available base tunes although Hondata does have quite a few specific tunes for various intakes. The V2 is the only tuning solution with a 5" touchscreen although the $449 V1.2 can basically do the same things (laptop needed). On the other hand, Hondata does offer the only CARB legal tuner but that version has limited tuning capability.

What puts KTuner ahead though is the on the fly tune switching. Being able to switch between 3 different maps in seconds is ridiculously cool. :thumbsup:I also like how easy it is to do boost by gear with the Quick BBG settings.

Having said that, either brand will give you a huge uptick in performance over stock.
Was leaning towards Hondata just because I’ve heard very good things about them but it looks like a lot of the Civic x community runs Ktuner and being able to switch the tunes on the fly would be pretty cool.

How are the base tunes Hondata compared to Ktuner?

Fathomless

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI / 2018 Honda Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just my opinion here. As a novice to these things I picked hondata. I was looking for something very simple and straightforward. I dialed in my tune and that's where it stays. Having prebuilt tunes for my Cai was also a factor.

On the fly switching is great, but I would never use. Lcd screen would be great, but I would never use. (I tuned and shoved flashpro into the glovebox).

I see a lots of people mentioning customer service, however for a user like me there is no need. I ordered, used it and really that's it. There is nothing I need service for.

I didn't want the over the top price if buying a tuner then needing to pay someone to use it to actually tune the car.

Maybe in the future I will regret it, but so far so good.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was leaning towards Hondata just because I’ve heard very good things about them but it looks like a lot of the Civic x community runs Ktuner and being able to switch the tunes on the fly would be pretty cool.

How are the base tunes Hondata compared to Ktuner?
There was dyno comparison on a stock '17 Vit had on his blog that's gone now. Their curves were virtually identical when comparing a +6 vs 21# and a +9 vs a 23# map. There's more to it than just outright power... but in all the quick adjustments/enables that effect drivability. Ktuner has many. I imagine Hondata does as well but I can't speak to it as I don't know their product that well.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
For me honestly, price was a huge factor.

Hondata runs around $600+, Ktuner v1.2 is around 400+ with v2 being closer in price to Hondata.

Don't need the screen = Easy decision.

NikkoPH

First Name
Nikko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Country flag
I was using Ktuner V2 and sold it and now using Hondata Flashpro.
Both products are amazing, i switched to Hondata because i never use the screen of the KTuner, don't need on the fly switching and tuner friends and i are more familiar with hondata compared to Ktuner. It's always great to take the less traveled road.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I have Hondata. They have made me furious previously with lack of communication issues.

Ktuner has better customer service via these forums by a huge margin. They have answered questions for me and I hadnt even purchased their product yet.

That being said I recently was hired to street tune another vehicle which was a 2015 Si with a k24 and he was using ktuner.

There were more than a few complaints I had that may just pertain to that particular ecu. He sold the ktuner and switched to Hondata and the difference was insane in the functionality between the two. Hondata won that fight HANDS DOWN. And I mean it was huge difference.

After that experience I am keeping the flashpro 100%.

But I am very much so into the details and OCD about things.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have Hondata. They have made me furious previously with lack of communication issues.

Ktuner has better customer service via these forums by a huge margin. They have answered questions for me and I hadnt even purchased their product yet.

That being said I recently was hired to street tune another vehicle which was a 2015 Si with a k24 and he was using ktuner.

There were more than a few complaints I had that may just pertain to that particular ecu. He sold the ktuner and switched to Hondata and the difference was insane in the functionality between the two. Hondata won that fight HANDS DOWN. And I mean it was huge difference.

After that experience I am keeping the flashpro 100%.

But I am very much so into the details and OCD about things.
Comparing KTuner on the GenX platform to KTuner for the last gen is a different experience, to be fair.

Something to consider. Buy a Ktuner and try it with your car. If you don't like it you can sell it here and get most of your investment back.

I firmly believe for the average owner KTuner offers the best overall package. But, it does seem that the Hondata Race gives access to a bit more behind the scenes stuff that is better suited to someone like you who knows how to tune.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Comparing KTuner on the GenX platform to KTuner for the last gen is a different experience, to be fair.

Something to consider. Buy a Ktuner and try it with your car. If you don't like it you can sell it here and get most of your investment back.

I firmly believe for the average owner KTuner offers the best overall package. But, it does seem that the Hondata Race gives access to a bit more behind the scenes stuff that is more for someone who knows how to tune.
Correct. Thats why I said the difference between the computers could be what I was seeing on the 9th gen.

Completely different animal just to be clear.

The whole hondata vs ktuner thing is a mania that has always been out of control since I first purchased my car. Some valued opinions tell me the ktuner is marginally better but its as clear as mud as to why.

**shrugs**

They both will do what needs to be done with a competent operator.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GlahdoSI

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Just to confirm you do not need a windows laptop to use Ktuner v2? I personally don’t own a windows laptop I have a google chrome laptop and an Apple.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just to confirm you do not need a windows laptop to use Ktuner v2? I personally don’t own a windows laptop I have a google chrome laptop and an Apple.
You won’t be able to load the tunes/calibrations onto the tablet/tuner without a windows laptop/desktop. Unless you bought used with the tunes already preloaded for your specific ECU. You can still use the tuner to datalog but just can’t flash your ECU without uploading a tune to the tuner.

Garyd85gt

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
KTuner v1.2 with TSP Stage 1 tune and Tunerview Lite via Honda Hack

OP
OP
GlahdoSI

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You won’t be able to load the tunes/calibrations onto the tablet/tuner without a windows laptop/desktop. Unless you bought used with the tunes already preloaded for your specific ECU. You can still use the tuner to datalog but just can’t flash your ECU without uploading a tune to the tuner.
So I can use my desktop to load the tune on the v2 device then flash it to my vehicle
Sponsored