Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully we can get a discussion going here about this because it truly baffles me. First of all, a huge portion of 10th gen Civic owners own CVT's. And while most are probably happy with their cars' power, there still are many like me, looking for better power and drivability.

We have two tuners out there. Hondata offers two base tunes (excluding intake specific) maxing out with the +6 giving us 19-20psi boost. Ktuner has more like 6 tunes available maxing out at 21psi. Now, I know the tunes are tweakable by a tuner but for the purpose of this thread I'm talking out of the box tunes.

The difference it seems to me is that Ktuner offers simple, easy tweaks for the CVT models right out of the box. Improved part throttle response, early spool, quicker ramp rate etc... And those tweaks make the CVT experience better.

So, this is the question. Why does Ktuner feel comfortable giving CVT owners more flexibility and easy tweaks where Hondata is ultra conservative with the CVT? It's an honest and fair question. I own a Flashpro so this isn't me promoting Ktuner. It seems to me both tuners would want to offer owners the safest but also the best driving experience. No?
Sponsored

Last edited:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
You didn't do your research when buying your CARB FlashPro. Hondata has been really conservative since day 1 with the CVT. With a custom tune, the CVT comes alive

Just sell the unit and get a KTuner and be done with it if it bothers you so much.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly got the CARB when it was reduced by $200. Even $495 was a bit over my budget. I'm poor, but I wanted to try a tune. I really wanted a Ktuner V2 but it was a little beyond my budget. Almost bought a V1.2 but didn't feel like buying a laptop to use it.

Look, I don't dislike the +6 tune. I have a 10 page thread bragging about it and Hondata. The Flashpro is very easy to use. I'm just jealous of all the updates Ktuner gives CVT owners and the updates Hondata gives to the manual owners.

I understand that the RACE Flashpro in the hands of a good tuner can do great things with the CVT. I guess I was hoping Hondata would update with some "modifications" to improve the CVT base tunes for users with limited funds.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You didn't do your research when buying your CARB FlashPro. Hondata has been really conservative since day 1 with the CVT. With a custom tune, the CVT comes alive

Just sell the unit and get a KTuner and be done with it if it bothers you so much.
He did his research, he had a whole thread on it. If I remember correctly, they even told him they would be adding more features, like throttle adjustments and spool, and now they tell him no. He bought a device under the impression that updates would happen and they basically tell him no, sorry we got nothing. Take what you want from that but thats pretty shifty.

Why does anyone care about CARB? Flash back to stock if you need an inspection.
Whether he bought carb or not, they still dont offer any of the changes he was looking for on the Race either. He probably bought a CARB bc he was "thinking of the kids" to quote one of hondatas sales pitches about the CARB.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dallas, you hit the nail on the head. I researched and researched and researched. When Hondata lowered the CARB $200, I jumped on it. It was a $$ decision. And maybe I should have waited for a Ktuner V2 but even $495 was a lot for me to shell out.

Talking to Doug a couple times, he mentioned drivability modifications being do-able for the CVT and that got my hopes up. Three versions later, nothing. Maybe we will get some tweaks at some point. I guess I'm a bit frustrated by nothing being added to the CVT Hondata tunes.

Last edited:

GreyMatter718

THE X GEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-t Coupe Crystal Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a cvt and i am getting the KTUNER tune in a few weeks by a reputable tuner. I am also adding PRL front/downpipes and eventually i will add the intercooler as well. I have a custom exhaust and a short ram intake on my car and the increase in power is night and day, with little mods. I am 100% positive with the pipes and tune it will be a completely different animal. Hondata seems like it's limited to what can be done with it, unlike KTUNER where its kinda like "open source" where you can make your own specs.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a cvt and i am getting the KTUNER tune in a few weeks by a reputable tuner. I am also adding PRL front/downpipes and eventually i will add the intercooler as well. I have a custom exhaust and a short ram intake on my car and the increase in power is night and day, with little mods. I am 100% positive with the pipes and tune it will be a completely different animal. Hondata seems like it's limited to what can be done with it, unlike KTUNER where its kinda like "open source" where you can make your own specs.
To be fair, you have complete controls of the tuning tables in the Hondata software, it just does not have a lot of the more simple quick adjustments that Ktuner does.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair, you have complete controls of the tuning tables in the Hondata software, it just does not have a lot of the more simple quick adjustments that Ktuner does.
It's those simple quick driveability adjustments Ktuner has that makes their CVT tunes much more user friendly IMO. I'd love to be able to tweak the throttle or have earlier boost or a quicker ramp rate with my +6 CVT Hondata tune. Those type of easy tweaks improve day to day usability. But only Ktuner offers that. Like I've said many times, Hondata is a quality product. But, CVT owners don't get nearly the love Ktuner gives their CVT peeps.

Last edited:

GreyMatter718

THE X GEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-t Coupe Crystal Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's those simple quick driveability adjustments Ktuner has that makes their CVT tunes much more user friendly IMO. I'd love to be able to tweak the throttle or have earlier boost or a quicker ramp rate with my +6 CVT Hondata tune. But only Ktuner offers that. Like I've said many times, Hondata is a quality product. But, CVT owners don't get nearly the love Ktuner gives their CVT peeps.
basically

FR32H OJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does hondata have a duel map option? That was one of the biggest reasons I went with the KTurner.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does hondata have a duel map option? That was one of the biggest reasons I went with the KTurner.
Stock/+6 from what I read now which is meh. You still dont have any driveability options to change on the other guy, you have to edit tables to do anything fun for a cvt....... you made the right choice

10genjdm

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CIVIC HATCBACK SPORT 1.5T
Country flag
Does anyone have any tuners they recommend in the NJ area? Looking for the Ktuner for my CVT
Thank You

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Does anyone have any tuners they recommend in the NJ area? Looking for the Ktuner for my CVT
Thank You
If you want to buy one by mail, call Fast of West Chester PA @ 267-603-2786. I spoke to them last week and they can get them. Apparently, Ktuner just received 120 V2s.

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Ktuner = 14.1 @ 100mph on my completely stock CVT..... and there are a few other CVT's with Ktuner on here in the 13's. Nuff said'.

OP you bought the wrong tuning solution. Ktuner is more aggressive, tech savy and confident in being cutting edge. Hondata lacks, and their reputation and image is not what it used to be. Their flashpro is relatively substandard compared to Ktuner.
Sponsored

Last edited: