First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00' GPW S2000, 03' Accord, 03' 4Runner, 2021 GX460, 2019 CW Type R
Country flag
Hello everyone.

Is there a trick for getting CTR datalogs to work in Virtual Dyno? I use it a lot with Kpro and my S2000, but I can't get it to work with my CTR datalogs (only a fairly flat line populates). I'm not concerned with the numbers, but I would like to see a graph.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hello everyone.

Is there a trick for getting CTR datalogs to work in Virtual Dyno? I use it a lot with Kpro and my S2000, but I can't get it to work with my CTR datalogs (only a fairly flat line populates). I'm not concerned with the numbers, but I would like to see a graph.
This question is likely better targeted towards the developers of the Virtual Dyno software as they are expecting the data in a certain format with specifically named headers. Keep in mind that Hondata and KPro most likely use a computed value for horsepower based on acceleration, gear, weight, and crossectional area. Then compute torque from horsepower. This can also read high/low depending on head/tail winds, slope, etc. as computations from acceleration will vary from those things.

If you're decent with scripting and data processing you probably could make your own plots if you really wanted to. I was curious about the accuracy provided by DashCommand app so I generated this. Knowing I have no tune and only have wheels, exhaust, and intercooler upgrades, I'm certain it's overestimating the power by a good 10-15%. Hondata would probably give a more accurate number (same with KTuner). But they will suffer from the wind speed/direction and slope effects still.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata/Virtual Dyno example

OP
OP

Jun11

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This question is likely better targeted towards the developers of the Virtual Dyno software as they are expecting the data in a certain format with specifically named headers. Keep in mind that Hondata and KPro most likely use a computed value for horsepower based on acceleration, gear, weight, and crossectional area. Then compute torque from horsepower. This can also read high/low depending on head/tail winds, slope, etc. as computations from acceleration will vary from those things.

If you're decent with scripting and data processing you probably could make your own plots if you really wanted to. I was curious about the accuracy provided by DashCommand app so I generated this. Knowing I have no tune and only have wheels, exhaust, and intercooler upgrades, I'm certain it's overestimating the power by a good 10-15%. Hondata would probably give a more accurate number (same with KTuner). But they will suffer from the wind speed/direction and slope effects still.

example.png
Agreed, but I thought I saw some others using it and thought that I'd ask here first.

OP
OP

Jun11

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is how I've been doing it and why I was wondering if there was something else that I've missed.

OP
OP

Jun11

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Fixed it.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I get it to work by editing the CSV file. First, delete the top rows that are not headings of the columns. Next I deleted any columns that are not relevant to what I need in virtual dyno. It looks something like the following:

Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata/Virtual Dyno 1610778407208

Finally, in Virtual Dyno, I go to files, options, columns and profiles. There enter the column names in the CSV file.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata/Virtual Dyno 1610778312756

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
You shouldn’t have to delete anything, I just exported with hondata and I straight open with virtual Dyno
i didnt have to delete anything. Export, save as csv and just loaded it on virtual dyno.
Thanks, that works! When I first tried it early this year, I had to delete some stuff. I must've done something wrong.

Davecrx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8) + 1991 CRX B18c4 Turbo (EE8) + 2000 CRV B20 (soon to be vtec'ed)
Country flag
What did you guys use for a profile as the 2017+ civic type R isn't listed?

theangelofspace15

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
What setting are guys using to add the type R to virtual dyno? I found most spec but DC and the frontal area. Can you share you settings? Thanks.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
What setting are guys using to add the type R to virtual dyno? I found most spec but DC and the frontal area. Can you share you settings? Thanks.
The drag coefficient (dc) is quoted by Honda as 0.26 (which is actually lower than the outgoing Civic if I'm not mistaken). The frontal area is harder to compute, I estimated it out to be around 21.1 ft^2 though that was using a ruler, some trapezoids, and similarity (mathematical sense) with a press photo of the front end. If anyone has a better value, please do share.

Edit: note that I'm not using virtual dyno, but DashCommand asks for this data to compute horsepower and torque.
Sponsored